Looking for recipes for zuchinni lasagna

Options
I have heard of people replacing the pasta in lasagna with zuchinni to lower the calories and was wondering if anyone has any good recipes? If so does it work better to shred the zuchinni or slice it like pasta?

Replies

• JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    bump - sounds like a great idea :D
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Go to the skinnytaste website. There is a recipe in there. I made it ands everyone really liked it. I sliced the zucchini length wise about 1/8 inch. It was a lot of work though to slice the zucchini that thin. I might try it with eggplant next time.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'd either do something like this: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/no-noodle-zucchini-lasagna/ I haven't used that one but it looks good

Or slice the zucchini really thinly lengthwise and use it in this recipe: http://www.chow.com/recipes/11415-winter-greens-lasagna
    I've used this recipe with sour cream instead of creme fraiche and I added mushrooms and peas to it. It's very good and would probably do well with the zucchini

Another zucchini idea is this: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/08/summer-vegetable-tian-660-recipe-110.html I made it on Sunday with summer squash, kohlrabi, zucchini and baby red potatoes. I also added sliced carrots in with the onions. I had to bake it longer and season it more than I expected but it came out very good.
  • vegafalling
    vegafalling Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't really use recipes, but I have done this! I slice the zucchini (or eggplant works well too) into thin sheets and salt them. Salt each side, then let it drain in a colander over the sink or on a bakers cooling rack. The point is that the salt draws out the excess moisture that would otherwise give you a soupy lasagna later(this is the same for eggplant). after about a half hour, rinse the zucchini off, and dab dry with a towel. proceed to use it as you would noodles in lasagna, minus the boiling of course!
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    ^This, do salt them. I'd suggest also making your sauce just a bit thinner than normal, as in most traditional lasagnas the pasta soaks up some of the moisture. It's a GREAT way to use eggplant. If I use eggplant I usually pre-roast the slices for ten minutes just to get some color and help them soften.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I actually just made some this week. I agree with the slicing then salting, just like you would an eggplant. I also used tomato paste (I didn't have any tomato sauce) so I only watered down the paste a little bit (still pretty thick), since I knew the zucchini would still give off some more water. Worked out well for me! (PS - I made my own sauce) Basically I just used the zucchini just like noodles.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hungrygirl.com has a very tasty no noodle zuchini recipe. Huge servings with small calorie count.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    We need a good support group for all those overwhelmed with zucchini. Bump
  • kabaker3
    kabaker3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a great recipe for a no noodle vegetable lasagna made wih zucchini, which is sliced into thin strips lengthwise to take the place of the noodles. You can google weight watchers no noodle vegetable lasagna to get the recipe.
  • kerryjudson
    kerryjudson Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    the hairy bikers just did it with leeks instead of pasta, looked good. link to the recipe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/skinny_beef_lasagne_87277
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    you can use any lasagna recipe you have--i don't have one on hand right now. but when i do it, i slice the zucchini long-ways, about 1/8"-1/4" thick (as a previous poster had mentioned). i usually still use two layers of noodles so the lasagna keeps its shape, and the other 4 (or however many) layers are zucchini

also, allrecipes.com has a good zucchini-blueberry bread (i use it to make muffins--you don't bake it nearly as long for that): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blueberry-zucchini-bread/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=zucchini blueberry&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

for the muffins, i reduce the sugar to 1.5 cups, replace 2/3 of the oil with applesauce, and use whole wheat flour instead of white. still a calorie splurge, but not nearly as bad.

we have grilled zucchini at our house, both by slicing it thick and just laying it on the grill, and by making foil "envelopes" and filling them with large pieces of zucchini, peppers and onions.

my mother dips slices of it in egg, then in flour & bread crumbs, and fries it in 1/4" of vegetable oil (clearly not healthy, but it's an option...)

my aunt makes zucchini brownies to die for. she uses a recipe from allrecipes.com:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-brownies/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=zucchini brownies&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe

those brownies will blow your mind, but they're a major splurge. so make them to take to a picnic or something where you'll likely only get to eat just one :)

so those are a couple of ways i'm using up my supply. shredded zucchini freezes really well, too. i grate it and portion it out (2 cups per freezer bag or container), then use it all winter for cooking and baking just as i would if it were fresh :)
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't really use recipes, but I have done this! I slice the zucchini (or eggplant works well too) into thin sheets and salt them. Salt each side, then let it drain in a colander over the sink or on a bakers cooling rack. The point is that the salt draws out the excess moisture that would otherwise give you a soupy lasagna later(this is the same for eggplant). after about a half hour, rinse the zucchini off, and dab dry with a towel. proceed to use it as you would noodles in lasagna, minus the boiling of course!

i just wanted to say, this is a GREAT idea!!! thanks for the tip :)
  • Jenny_Lou20
    Jenny_Lou20 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was looking on www.hungrygirl.com the other day, and I'm pretty sure I came across a zuchnni lasagna recipe.

Just go to her site and you will find TONS of stuff and I'm sure she has a recipe for that cause she has a lot.
  • jallison12
    Options
    My friend posted a recipe for zuchinni pizza today, from which you could take the base out to layer in a lasagna.
    Maybe? (I'm no cook - depth of my cooking is how many minutes to microwave stuff)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Wolfe1759/view/a-delightful-surprise-zucchini-pizza-375354
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You will need a mandolin to slice it lengthwise and the right thickness, I loooooove mine and use it every day for making salad, a good one can be a little expensive. If you can, go to williams sonoma.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Recipe for Raw (uncooked) &No Dairy- Live Lasagna
    You will need:

Fresh Spinach
    Olive oil
    Extra Large Zucchini
    Raw unsalted Cashews
    Sun-dried tomatoes
    Fresh tomatoes
    Fresh Basil
    Fresh Parsley
    Lemon
    Sea salt
    Garlic
    Oregano

Slice an extra-large zucchini into long slices--
    Lay "NOODLES" flat in a lightly olive-oiled glass square dish. Set the rest of noodles aside.

Prepare Spinach --lightly toss 3 cups of whole leaf spinach (with stems removed) in olive oil--set aside to reduce

Prepare "Ricotta" ---food process blend 2 -3 cups of raw cashews--juice of half of half of lemon--sea salt to taste --until creamy--the consistency can be processed to texture of ricotta.

Prepare sauce---food process 1 6-8 ounce pack sun dried tomatoes---4 garden fresh tomatoes---1 clove of garlic--leaves of fresh basil--fresh oregano---sea salt--fresh ground pepper.--blend til creamy

Spoon "ricotta" over the noodles--layer spinach, then top with the sauce
    alternate until noodles are finished.
    Top with ricotta and garnish with fresh parsley.

, Let "set" for 30 minutes---cut squares with sharp knife. Serve at room temp~
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If you have left over zucchini, make these, they are awesome: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/zucchini-tots.html#more