Calling all those with sleep apnea come in!

Options
I just got diagnosed on July 24th. Last night was my titration which went better than i planned full face mask.. but i am still exhausted went to bed late. Haven't got too many results only know in the first 3 stages of sleep i had an apnea of 8 and in the last stage deep sleep i was a 28 so moderate i was scored overall. My oxygen also dipped to as low as 82% last night while on the mask they said i scored a 0 as far as apnea's go. My actual review with the doctor is on Aug 9th. Those of you with sleep apnea did yours ever go away? Also how has it effected your life now and weight loss? This is a new ball park for me.

Replies

• cmp_denver
    cmp_denver Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have severe sleep apnea, my O2 would drop into the upper 50s during the night and I would have 40 or 50 episodes per hour (prior to CPAP). I have now dropped 25 lbs and, actually, I have noticed that it's easier for me to breathe when I sleep. I can even take a nap now and not wake up gasping, should I fall asleep without my mask on that is. I hope that as I continue to lose weight I will eventually be able to put my cpap away, for good.

However, I have a friend who, even though he's lost 65 lbs and is at his goal weight he still has to use a CPAP. In his case they discovered his apnea is a physical problem as opposed to being weight-related. His doctor told him that, without tissue removal surgery he will be on CPAP for the rest of his life. It really depends on the person.
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have sleep apnea and I love my cpap machine. What a difference it has made in my life. It was such a revelation to me what a good night's sleep was. I had no idea! My advice, don't worry about if your apnea will ever go away or not. Just enjoy a great night's sleep. You'll not only get used to the machine, you will learn to love it and what it brings. I don't use a full mask, I use the nasal pillows. Very easy to sleep with and comfortable.
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    cant say i love mine yet. But I do sleep better.Its just a pain after drinking lots of water all day to get up and go pottie. Most times i disconnect the hose and go . You will get used to it. Nobody dint want it any more than i did. Im getting better.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I had an uncle die of a massive heart attack in his sleep that was brought on by sleep apnea.

Luckily I've tested fine for now, but his death was my main motivation for losing weight the first time in 2005.
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulation on your weight loss to date.
    MFP has a search function. I checked it and there's quite a bit on the subject apnea and it's causes and comments from others regarding CPAP machines and masks. The most important thing is, if you need a CPAP, get it and use it.
    I've had one for about 8 years - much better sleep with it than before. Hopefully as more weight comes off, the testing will say I don't need it anymore.
    Good luck next week.
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    What i don't understand is if this is indeed obstructive sleep apnea i would think it should be gone or better by now losing 61lbs. The 1st place i lost weight was my face. I used to weigh 401lbs then again i was undiagnosed then so maybe it was worse and it is better now and i wouldn't know it...?
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    As a CPAP user since January 2009 I was told obstructive sleep apnea is not weight gain related. Fortunately, I think mine is weight related. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. My o2 sat levels were in the low 70% range with 56 events per hour. Prior to testing I would wake up several times a night gasping for air. One of the most horrible feelings I have ever experienced. I hope one day to retire my machine and nasal mask, but I sleep extremely well now with it.
  • somemansdream
    Options
    Yeah, I was diagnosed just a couple of months ago. However, my levels are good enough that I dont need any special treatments. However, it has interfered with my sleep for many years. Doc said the thing that would help me--lose weight! I read how some of you guys love your treatments--but frankly, a mask scares the hell out of me--one of my biggest fears.
    Good luck--Debbie
  • btk71789
    btk71789 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have moderate to severe sleep apnea, which I was diagnosed with before I started losing weight. I use a CPAP now, and its done wonders for me. In fact, I think getting treatment for apnea gave me the energy I needed to put towards a weight loss program, and was a big key to my success. I've lost 69 lbs, but I don't really know how its affected my apnea. I don't really want to try to sleep without the CPAP, because it works so well for me and I don't want to risk not having a good night's sleep. I will say though that when I have napped or something without it, my girlfriend has told me I hardly snore, when I used to be really bad. It will really vary from person to person, so I wouldn't bank on losing weight completely treating apnea, but weight loss could certainly help decrease the severity of your apnea.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I have severe sleep apnea, having upwards of 90 events per hour. I have had my CPAP with nose pillows since Feb 2011 and love it! I won't even lie down for a nap now without it. It's almost like a security blanket. I didn';t have a problem getting used to it, there's no noise and I know that my husband sleeps better now too, because he's not listening to me not breath!
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A few months back I went through the whole sleep test stuff. (LONG PROCESS for me) After getting the machine for Upper Resistance Something Syndrome I went to see an Allergist because I would wear the mask and feel suffocated while sleeping. Come to find out that due to allergies my nose was completely stuffy inside. So now I have another nasal spray and sleep great with out the machine.
  • cannonfury2006
    cannonfury2006 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea back in 2007, (felt bad for years so I went for a sleep study) but I haven't been consistent with the cpap machine enough for it to help me. I want to be consistent with it. I remember once I used it for 10 days straight and I felt a little better, I actually used a few "big" more mature words, while talking, that I had never used before (lol). Now though, I think it will take too long to feel a difference. :/

one thing is, I always got sick when I used the cpap...then I found out(recently), I have to actually wash the cpap equipment every day....