cardio

Options
I had planned on doing the couch to 5k. Problem is the treadmill I thought I was going to be able to use ended up not working so now I have no idea what I'm going to do for cardio. I wish I could go run outside but it is freezing cold and a foot of snow :(...So now tonight I get to spend my night looking for a different cardio routine that doesn't require a treadmill. I really wish I had a stationary bike or something. Any one know anything that I can do inside for cardio. I don't have money for a dvd right now either. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Casi23
    Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Come up with an easy-to-stick-with routine. A lot of DVDs use this.

Do a few minutes of jumping jacks, then a strength training exercise - like push-ups or crunches. Follow with running in place, then another strength exercise (lunges, shoulder press). Then jump rope then another strength exercise (tricep dips, calf raises)...come up with a plan and do it every day. : )

As long as you are breathing heavy and keeping your heart rate up...it should be effective...at least until the snow melts. ; )
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs where you live? You could run up and down a few times and add that to a routine. I think you can find some free aerobics videos, etc. on the internet too. I'm sure someone on here would know a great site or google it.
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I check out DVDs from the library all the time. Your local library should have lots of work out DVDs. Walk Away the Pounds are good ones to start with.
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    Check out this exercise website.

http://www.exercisetv.tv/
  • batbetenoire99
    Options
    I use a magnetrainer er .... that way I can exercise while watching a DVD. :)
  • Nikki_Z
    Nikki_Z Posts: 28
    Options
    Bah! Just bundle up and run outside!!
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Go to Youtube and find some good indoor cardio routines. Or if you have a jumprope that you can use inside...do that too. Burns a lot!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Bah! Just bundle up and run outside!!

Its sub zero here...not great running weather...and the streets and sidewalks are icy.:laugh:
  • Nikki_Z
    Nikki_Z Posts: 28
    Options
    It's sub-zero here too! Today it feels like -15F with the windchill!

Wear layers. Lots of them.

I don't have sidewalks really because I run in a rural area, so I just run on the edge of the road.
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A jump rope is easy to store and burns major calories. Make sure to do it ground level so you don't send things crashing.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    It's sub-zero here too! Today it feels like -15F with the windchill!

Wear layers. Lots of them.

I don't have sidewalks really because I run in a rural area, so I just run on the edge of the road.

Exactly! Going outside costs nothing.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is like a little circut course. All you have to do is come up with about 4 or 5 stations do each station for 1 minute then change to the next for 20 or 30 min. The goal is to beat your repetitions each round. If you have some freeweights add those in...

Here are some ideas for what each station could be

Jumping Jacks
    Crunches
    Pushups
    Squats
    Tricep dips (use a sturdy chair or coffee table for this)

Be creative... if you don't have weights grab a can of vegetables... the possiblities are endless!