Lifting questions...

Options
I'm new to lifting. I do some body pump classes and use the machines at the gym. I do want to do some heavy lifting and get my body in top shape. I have done some squats and deadlifts, with the 45lb bar only(I'm new). I am curious if I can do this with out a partner? I don't really have anyone to spot for me. Also any advice would be appreciated. I'm ready to take my weightloss and be as fit as I can be! I wouldn't mind having all those nice muscles I keep seeing here. Thanks all

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    As long as you are confident in your form, I think you can def. do squats and deadlifts without a partner.

I work out twice a week with a trainer and twice a week without.

On the days I workout without a trainer I do work with lighter weights. For example, last night I worked out with my trainer, so I did 80kg squats. Tomorrow night, I'll work out alone, so I'll do 60kg squats.

Stong Lifts 5 x 5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women are good if you are looking for info.
  • dellashanks
    dellashanks Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm gonna give it a go and hope I don't topple over. I ording the NROLFW now. I have heard alot about it and I think I'm ready to buy.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    YES! Another one converted to the brilliant world of resistance training!
    2921560757_06406e5bf9-450x361.jpg
  • dellashanks
    Options

^^^^ Love this! I'm try to be a convert!
  • fastbackdan
    fastbackdan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Check out Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Program

and welcome to the family of brothers and sisters or Iron
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm gonna give it a go and hope I don't topple over. I ording the NROLFW now. I have heard alot about it and I think I'm ready to buy.

I would suggest getting a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, too. You will learn more about form than you ever thought you wanted to!

And I never have a partner- I just get a random meathead to spot me when I need it- random meatheads are always willing to spot for a girl! It might be a good idea to get a partner or trainer just to give you a second opinion on form the first time you go, and every once in a while though, too.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    go to amazon right now and order new rules of lifting for women! you can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dellashanks
    Options
    I did a workout with a trainer but I don't think I can spend that much too often. Looking up that book now. I'm gonna have a library... I have the body for life book and work book starting there while waiting for the rest. Thanks so much for all the feedback.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    go to amazon right now and order new rules of lifting for women! you can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EXACTLY what I was gonna recommend!!! BRILLIANT beginner book for ladies wanting to lift heavy!!!
  • dellashanks
    Options

Done! Thanks :smile:
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I'm in Stage 5 of New Rules right now, I like it lots!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you are confident in your form then go for it. you can always squat in the squat cage and put up the guard rail things on he side to catch the bar if you felll

as far as feeling like your going to topple over, try taking off your shoes and lifting in your socks. lifters tend to wear flat soled shoes (or go barefoot) because the cushioning in sneakers can throw you off your balance.

in addition to NROL$W, there's also stronglifts and starting strength.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    WOW that's one serious case of duck lipped Blue Steel right there.

That kid's going to be a model, or a merman..
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Love this pic!

Welcome! :flowerforyou: