need to find a way to stay motivated! no seeing results

Options
I have been trying to shed 35lbs for over 2 years. My body hasn't changed enough since.. I've learned in that time I may have Celilac, so that changed diet, I am hypoglycemic, and have a few physical issues but still work out at least 3 to 5 times a week. I have been at this "plateau" for so long I'm beyond devastated. I don't want to leave the house, get out of bed anymore, socialize etc... I am asking if anyone else has been here, how do you keep going?? Tonite I got on scale and found I gained 7lbs in less than a month! I haven't changed eating habits and have even added to workout.. Help!!!

Replies

• CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i honestly dont know, your situation sound so frustrating. I think your awesome just for not giving up.
  • laurie858
    laurie858 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    First of all. Don't Give Up. Don't stop trying, just do something different and stick with it.

It's hard to say without REALLY knowing what you've been doing for diet and exercise. Do you honestly track all your foods? Honest portion size, logging every bite, every ounce? Without knowing your exact diet restrictions and needs (because everyone is different, and I don't believe in one answer for everyone) I would suggest trying a diet of 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. Shoot for that, give it the ol' college try, do it for 4 weeks, every day, weekends and holidays and birthdays included. Allow yourself to slip, but don't let it get you down. If you have a bad lunch, don't throw in the towel for the day, just have a GREAT dinner. If you have a bad Friday night, don't wait until Monday, start again Saturday morning. (These are just my 2 cents, my suggestions for the day.)

My other question is: do you lift weights? If not, you should. If you do, try this: In a gym, there are basically usually 3 systems for weight lifting: free weights, machines, and pulleys. Pick one. Say, machines. Get your routine, ask for tips from the trainers, find what you like, what works for you, and do that for a while. A month or two or mainly doing the majority of your strength training with the machines. THEN, throw your body a curve ball and do free weights. You'll have a slightly different range of motion, different amounts of weight, different exercises, different order, different routine. It's like keeping your muscles guessing. But it's best not to switch every other day, or every other week. Give your muscles time to get used to one routine, THEN switch. So, another month or two of mainly free weights, then SWITCH again. This time, pulley system. After a month or two, cycle back to machines.

Also, when lifting, think "Size Does Matter". The bigger the muscle, the more it can burn, the more energy it needs and uses. Start with the big muscle groups: back, chest, butt, legs, and work your way smaller and smaller. Shoulders, lats, calves, bicep, triceps, abs, etc.

I also have hypoglycemia and I have hypothyroidism, and it's HARD, H-A-R-D hard to keep energy levels stable, hard not to get shaky and pass out, hard to push myself or motivate myself to workout sometimes. I hate to sound cliche, but, drink lots of water. Don't be afraid to snack when needed. Just make sure you're making wise decisions.

Oh, one last thing, and then I'll be quiet for the rest of the night. I don't know what your carb intake is like, but take a good look at what you're eating on average, and try to remove carbs from every other meal. If that's a lot, try removing carbs from one meal a day. Oh, and by "carbs" I mean bread, pasta, crackers, rice. I don't count veggies. Eat as many veggies as you like! :) Good carbs, ok to eat: brown rice, sweet potato (no butter) and steel cut oats (I eat Coach's Oats from Costco). Steel cut oats are not the same as rolled oats/oatmeal.

OMG, I can't stop. I want to give advice and help. Take what you want, listen to what works for your body.

I listen to a podcast about weightloss, and one thing they say "become an expert in your own body." Know what YOU need, know what works for YOU. A lot of people can tell you what works for them, tell you what they think you should do, but it's up to YOU to become an expert in YOU.
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I listen to a podcast about weightloss, and one thing they say "become an expert in your own body." Know what YOU need, know what works for YOU. A lot of people can tell you what works for them, tell you what they think you should do, but it's up to YOU to become an expert in YOU.

I love this!
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I hear your frustration and disappointment. I'm sorry. It's a crappo place to be.

Lcfletcher did a good job of pointing out some stuff. I would ask also, are you being honest with yourself and tracking food and fitness?

in regard to the celiac, you'll probably spend several months figuring out your food patterns and I think you should maybe focus on that for a while and not worry so much about weight. Once you get the celiac under control, you'll feel better and might feel like you can focus on actually losing. Your doctor should be helping you out with that.

in regard to being 'hypoglycemic,' hypoglycemia is simply periodic low blood sugar. You're not "hypoglycemic" the way someone is "diabetic." It's a periodic condition, not a chronic disease. Just make sure you eat regularly and you won't have low blood sugar.

Have you had your thyroid checked?

Are you hydrating?

Getting enough sleep?

So many things go into this complex machine of our bodies. Just keep going and don't give up. :flowerforyou:
  • pocketpygmie
    Options
    Thanks so much for replying! It was good to see that someone may actually have been where I am.. I don't do the percentage of carb/protein etc.. I may look into that. I have cut out carbs for 2 weeks aka Adkins,, no luck that was when the weight started coming on. I have added more protein and veggies and fruit since starting site last fall. It helped keep me more honest. I just quit posting since I ate almost the same thing daily. I do use weights, and bowflex(pulley system). I try to work out at least 4 ot 5 times weekly with both, alternating.
    Thyroid was checked 4 years ago, normal, Hypoglecemic for over 20 years.. Been doing gluten free for over a year now.. symptoms dissapeared,but recently came back! ugh!! I may not be hydrating enough, but if I go to the bathroom any more I may as well set up camp!! hahahaha..Sleep.. well not enough probably. Stress couldn't be a culprit huh? lol..

I truly appreciate the response,, I've felt so alone in this battle for so long it helped to know there's someone who cared. and understands.
    +
  • pocketpygmie
    Options
    Thanks!!! I feel better tonight, it helped to get the responses
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    WOW! Celiac's alone is a tough one. The good news is that more and more restaurants and grocery stores are beginning to recognize this exists and are making easier to eat. I agree with someone previously. Work on eating for the Celiac's. It takes time for your body to heal from the years of eating gluten. But as you begin to heal you will feel better and have more energy. Then, think about weightloss.

If the symptoms have recently come back you must find the gluten that is hiding in your foods. It could be as simple as cross contamination or a food you have used previously with no problems changed in some way (like was it made in a gluten free facility or did they change the ingredients). This could make your body fight releasing the weight. I like to compare celiac's to a peanut allergy. No you may not die from getting a little gluten into your body, but you have to be as careful as someone with that deadly peanut allergy.
  • Lovingmyboys89
    Lovingmyboys89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Im going through a plateu right now as well. When I woke up this morning I was so frustrated. But then some wonderdul ppl on this site helped cheer me up! Stay focused and instead of focusing on the scale take some time to focus on non scale goals! The fact your exercising and eating healthier. Take a look at your calories and see if maybe youre eating too little. Remember muscle ways more than fat. If you have time read my blog post called focusing on non scale goals. Stay focused and dont give up!