Protein Ideas

Options
I'm looking for ways to increase my protein intake, without increasing fat and calories too much. What are your ideas?

Replies

• marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Preferrably other then protein shakes. I will be having a shakeology shake once a day usually.
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Do you eat eggs? They are my secret weapon. I eat eggs in the morning every single day and find that they help me keep my overall calorie count down throughout the day. There are also several scientific studies linking eggs with weight loss. Hope this helps!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18679412

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/weight_loss/weight_loss_tips/eat_eggs.htm
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Tuna

Grilled skinless chicken breast
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Fish, shrimp, Greek yogurt. Game meat tends to be lower in calories in general, and I found out today, so is goat meat (I prefer it to lamb).
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my favorite low fat protein options:

egg whites
    grilled chicken
    turkey bacon, 94% fat free
    lean beef, 96% fat free
    plain non-fat greek yogurt
    fat free cheese slices
    natural peanut butter (reduced fat - up to you)

Feel free to stalk my diary. I average over 200 grams of protein a day with about 45 grams of fat. YEAH BUDDY
  • laurie858
    laurie858 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    All of the above.

Eggs are great!
    Cottage Cheese: try dipping apple slices
    Chicken

Lunch Idea: Chicken breast, cottage cheese, tomato slices.
    Another: 1 or 2 35-calorie mini baby bell cheese wedges, tuna mixed with mustard, a TINY bit of light mayo (I need a little), relish, diced onions. Instead of making a sandwich, spread the cheese on celery and use the tuna as a dip. Voila!

Tonight for dinner I had a scramble with 3 eggs, some onion, salsa, a handful of spinach, and some cilantro. A dash of salt and pepper. Mmmmmm. Super tasty, high in protein, 12g fat from the eggs, oh and 1 teaspoon of olive oil (yes, I measured a teaspoon, I never just POUR olive oil. That one tsp was 30 calories and 3.5 g fat!)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ground turkey and eggs

but really protein powder is kind of the best option in terms of price, calories and protein content. for 110 calories i can get 24g worth of protein that costs a little more than $1 per serving
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    ground turkey and eggs

but really protein powder is kind of the best option in terms of price, calories and protein content. for 110 calories i can get 24g worth of protein that costs a little more than $1 per serving
    I agree. I have 3 scoops of Dymatize Iso 100 whey a day (24g protein, 0 fat, 0 carbs, 0 cholesterol.) Some people may say that is too much whey but I say...

tracey-jordan-nope.gif
  • healthyhawaii
    Options
    Things I use:

- Vegan protein powder (doesn't have to be consumed in a smoothie/shake, but I have it in my morning one)
    - Greek yogurt
    - cottage cheese
    - string cheese
    - rotisserie chicken or other lean meat (I love wild salmon personally)
    - turkey
    - certain seeds
    - beans, especially garbanzo (I buy dry roasted chickpeas and add my own spices to it)
    - nuts and nut butters (but usually high in fat)
    - milk
    - eggs (but I don't eat them personally)
    - kefir
    - low fat cheeses

I'm interested to read what others eat, too! Thanks for the post!
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas. Some of them I already eat, but there were alot of new ideas.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I try to get about 100 on protein a day- but also keep my carbs under 100. That requires the high fat (good fat=avacado, almond butter,eggs) according the primal way of eating. :smile: you are welcome to check out my diary- I'm often over 100 on protein.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i aim for 150+ g of protein a day and typically that looks like, a protein bar in the morning, greek yogurt or egg white scramble or two eggs in a low carb tortilla, lunch is usually something with turkey (turkey bacon, turkey deli meat- i work at sbux so usually i eat there), dinner is usually fish (tilapia, tuna, salmon) and rarely a steak or a turkey burger. I have yet to dip into my stash of chicken breasts lol. and then post-workout i usually follow up with a shake like muscle milk which is packed with protein. it gets hard to eat it all but i get it in!

also i've found that just eating more whole grains that are high in fiber tend to carry more protein by nature.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    bump
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Chicken and Turkey. Lean cuts will provide 20g of protein and only 1.5 g fat for every 3 ounce portion. Costco is your best friend.
  • yummymummy65
    yummymummy65 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Egg Whites. That's my secret weapon. 6 hard boiled egg whites is approx. 100 calories with 22 grams of protein. I add it to about everything - salads, soups, curries, etc. I substitute it for Chicken, Beef and sometimes Fish to minimize the number of calories consumed.