Help! Weight plateau! Confused!!

Options
Hello everyone!
I am new here. I've lost 7 lbs and am 150 lbs after a 1200 calorie diet with no exercise. This was over two months but I didn't take the diet seriously and over ate sometimes. Now, it has been a week that I am workin out and four days of the 30 day shred. I am also eating only 1200 calories but my scale won't budge! I guess i hit a plateau. Should I do the zigzag or eat my bmr or what on earth should I do!?! Some people say to eat close to my bmr but won't that slow down my weight loss because I'm consuming more calories? I'm just so lost about what to do. And if I do zigzag, how many calories should I have a day, even though zigzag requires alternating but it equals out at the end. I am 20 yrs old, female, 150 lbs, and 5'6". Thank you so much!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's probably not a plateau. it's probably your body's way of telling you that are close to your best weight. eat more food (over your BMR but under your TDEE) focus more on your measurements rather than the scale
  • martzmama
    Options
    as crazy as it sounds I would try to eat a few more calories if you are working out that much maybe up to 1400 a day... I have been there.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I am new here. I've lost 7 lbs and am 150 lbs after a 1200 calorie diet with no exercise. This was over two months but I didn't take the diet seriously and over ate sometimes. Now, it has been a week that I am workin out and four days of the 30 day shred. I am also eating only 1200 calories but my scale won't budge! I guess i hit a plateau. Should I do the zigzag or eat my bmr or what on earth should I do!?! Some people say to eat close to my bmr but won't that slow down my weight loss because I'm consuming more calories? I'm just so lost about what to do. And if I do zigzag, how many calories should I have a day, even though zigzag requires alternating but it equals out at the end. I am 20 yrs old, female, 150 lbs, and 5'6". Thank you so much!

Why aren't you using the MFP method and eating back your exercise calories?

1200 is probably based on you selecting Sedentary, and goal loss of 2lbs weekly, even though 1lb is recommended for realistic level.

So deficit is already there, potentially not a wise deficit.

Why do you want to go and create bigger deficit making it even more unwise by not eating back exercise calories to keep the original deficit.

1200 with no exercise worked, are you hoping 1200 with exercise will work faster?

You got your answer - not well at all.

Eat back your exercise calories.
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Let your body get used to your new routine for a few weeks, then see what your numbers looked like. I notice that's what it takes for my body to adjust accordingly to where I think my losses should be.
  • santi251
    santi251 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm actually having the same issue. Lost 12lbs in 2 wks but can't seem to lose anymore! Trying not to focus on the scale, and sometimes get a bit discouraged but trying to concentrate on losing inches.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Definitely try eating closer to your BMR. You don't have a lot to lose, so you need to eat a little more in order for your body to continue to burn fat. Give that a try for a few weeks.
  • amandasimms6807
    amandasimms6807 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love using a heart rate monitor. Get one with a strap to wear and wear it while you work out. This will tell you how many calories you are burning so that you can add those calories back in. You need fuel to keep going. If you aren't getting enough your body will hit a plateau.
  • lose2win2016
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! I will eat close to my BMR and eat back my exercise calories. Thanks!!