Fruits as primary meals pros and cons please

Options
I will continue my regular breakfast but thinking of replacing my lunch with fruits like apple , pear, black grapes , bananas
I want to maximise fruit eating (as primary source of energy , if its not harmful )
. Please give me your opinion for the same . I read somewhere that eating only fruits increases chances of diabetes as fruits contain sugar hence its not balance diet .

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Why are you thinking of eating only fruit for lunch? Fruit is healthy, but too much will give you the runs. Also, it is really high in sugar, so even if you don't have any issues metabolizing sugar, you are still likely to have a spike in energy followed by a crash if you aren't having any protein in there.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Why are you thinking of eating only fruit for lunch? Fruit is healthy, but too much will give you the runs. Also, it is really high in sugar, so even if you don't have any issues metabolizing sugar, you are still likely to have a spike in energy followed by a crash if you aren't having any protein in there.

^^^ Exactly what I was thinking,
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have a nice portion of protein/fat to fill me up to be honest.

Protein at every meal for me, I treat fruit like a dessert due to the fructose ... yeh, it's wrapped up in some nice fibre and antioxidents but it's still fructose.

Concentrating on eating fruit to lose weight seems to be counter-productive to me but no doubt someone will come along in a minute with a name like bananalover to prove me wrong ;)
  • aradalj1
    aradalj1 Posts: 23
    Options
    check out Freelee

http://freeleetv.com/
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly.
  • hrishidev
    Options
    I have to eat outside for lunch & mostly food is made oily and spicy to taste good .Hence I was thinking of replacing it with unprocessed , natural food.
    Currently I have 1 bowl of fruits around 4 pm. Is this much intake sufficient. I want to balance protein /fat as well
  • ravikrishna
    ravikrishna Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Primarily, Fruits are very good source, in the sense of

a) Not to increase the undesired fats (Trans Fat)
    b) Help in increasing the Metabolism which burns fat @ higher pace.

But, also consider

a) Replacing Lunch with Fruits, increases the Sugar level in the Body, which isn't good. Especially fruits like Banana etc, contains High Sugar and consuming Sugar, inturn increases your weight.

b) Replacing Snacks with Fruits is a very very good decission. Other than snacks with Oil and deep fried and processed things, fruits are very good.

1 Bowl of Fruits is the perfect fit to your calorie intake and for metabolism.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I have to eat outside for lunch & mostly food is made oily and spicy to taste good .Hence I was thinking of replacing it with unprocessed , natural food.
    Currently I have 1 bowl of fruits around 4 pm. Is this much intake sufficient. I want to balance protein /fat as well
    While the oil is an issue, spices are actually good for you, and there is evidence that eating spicy food works to decrease total food consumption.

That said, why not just cook something healthy to take to work? I bring leftovers from dinner all the time, usually things like grilled chicken breast or lentil pilaf. Heck, they even taste good unheated. Instead of having three servings of fruit and being hungry an hour later, you could have grilled chicken breast, a chopped salad, and homemade popcorn, and be completely stuffed for 300-400 calories.