Smelly Protein Shaker

Options
Flixie00
Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
Wasn't sure where to post this, but here goes ...

I left a new protein shaker, used, in a kit bag for a few days. I finally got around to washing it, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to lose that rancid stale protein shake smell from the shaker.

Now I realise this was a school girl error, and I wont make this mistake again, but does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the smell?

Replies

• loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Try rinsing out with diluted vinegar....its what my grandma/mom always did to get rid of smells. Wash it again immediately afterwards to get out the vinegar smell and let air dry. ....maybe?!
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    Put about a tablespoon of baking soda about 1/4 c peroxide some dish soap fill with water shake it up leave on counter for a day or two then wash
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've accidentally done this before, and it took a couple of months and a few good washes in the dishwasher (okay, maybe 2 dishwaser washes a week for those few months) before the smell finally was gone. Mine was just a plastic water thermos thing though.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    You might have to turn it upside down while it's soaking to get in all the crooks of the lid
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I second the vinegar washing. I have soaked bottles in diluted vinegar for 30 minutes. Do the same with the cap. This should remove the smell.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I use Miltons, the stuff you use to steralize babys bottles. Mix it with hot water & leave to soak for a few hours. Just make sure you wash your shaker after, 'cause the taste of miltons....................:sick:
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    both mine and my partners stink haha it's so gross. might try the vinegar thing!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses.

My smelly protein shaker is now soaking in malt vinegar & water (not sure if I am meant to use malt vinegar but its the go to vinegar in the UK). If this doesn't work, I will try the Miltons.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Filling it like 1/4 full of bleach and then filling it up with water works too.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    I'm going to smell test mine, if it stinks, it's going in the bin!!
  • BROscience_PHD
    BROscience_PHD Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    never tried that but i always fill it with water and microwave for 10 minutes.
  • Tsullivan415
    Options
    We've all been there. I just use shaker cleaner on my protein shaker when it smells which is usually the next day! You can get it at ShakerCleaner.com It costs 10 bucks but saves your protein shaker and lasts a long time
  • Tsullivan415
    Options
    Try using shaker cleaner, it'll save your protein shaker. You can get it at shakercleaner.com
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Filling it like 1/4 full of bleach and then filling it up with water works too.
    This. I do this.
    Just make sure to rinse a lot, to get rid of that bleach.