Help! I need to kill this cold before it starts!

Options
bjdw1
bjdw1 Posts: 140 Member
When I got up this morning my throat was itchy and I'm starting to cough. It's got to be the beginning of a cold. I do my training runs early in the cold morning before work (southern hemisphere - winter here).

Any good tips to nip this cold in the bud before it blossoms??

Cheers

Replies

• ITS_MY_CHOICE
    ITS_MY_CHOICE Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you have betadine throat gargle where you live I strongly rec it.
  • rumandreason
    rumandreason Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Echinacea tea is good.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Other than getting some extra rest there's not a lot you can do that's really effective other than relieve of symptoms - your body's immune system will deal with it. If it's only a head cold you should be able to keep on running.
  • indescribablesin
    Options
    I take extra vitamin C tablets if I'm starting to get sick, it works a lot of the time.
  • mikejacobs1958
    Options
    Once it starts, cut down on the exercise, drink more fluids and take a well earned rest.
  • bjdw1
    Options
    Sleeping in and having a rest day tomorrow. :-)
  • teally13
    teally13 Posts: 30
    Options
    When I got up this morning my throat was itchy and I'm starting to cough. It's got to be the beginning of a cold. I do my training runs early in the cold morning before work (southern hemisphere - winter here).

Cheers

I found Vicks Fisrt Defence worked really well, the cold didn't develop past the first symptoms when I used it.
  • bjdw1
    Options

Cheers

I found Vicks Fisrt Defence worked really well, the cold didn't develop past the first symptoms when I used it.

I'll see if I can find me some of that tomorrow.
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Neti Pot. You must use a neti pot. and sleep, sleep, sleep.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like my Airborne/OJ cocktails.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When I'm getting a cold I get hold of Natures Own (I'm assuming your in Australia) triple strength garlic, vit C, horseraddish and marshmallow tablets. A pharmacist once told me I can take as many of these as I want as they won't hurt you - within reason ofcourse. I'll often take 4 or 5 tablets 2 or 3 times day and as much water as I can get down my throat! I find that 50% of the time, the cold symptoms just disappear but occassionally they continue to be a full blown cold. However, I've found that, after doing this, if I do get the cold its generally completely gone within the week! :)

Good luck!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    If your already feeling sick, you already have it. Rest and fluids for sure.
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oil of Oregano

'nuff said.
  • nkozyra
    nkozyra Posts: 10
    Options
    When I'm getting a cold I get hold of Natures Own (I'm assuming your in Australia) triple strength garlic, vit C, horseraddish and marshmallow tablets. A pharmacist once told me I can take as many of these as I want as they won't hurt you - within reason ofcourse. I'll often take 4 or 5 tablets 2 or 3 times day and as much water as I can get down my throat! I find that 50% of the time, the cold symptoms just disappear but occassionally they continue to be a full blown cold. However, I've found that, after doing this, if I do get the cold its generally completely gone within the week! :)

Good luck!

Assuming the garlic has active allicin (which is the point, it's the natural antibiotic in garlic) it will definitely have a negative impact on your gut flora.

But allicin is broken down within minutes of garlic being physically broken, which largely renders garlic pills useless.

There's still no support in vitamin C having a positive impact on a cold, but in this case there is in fact no real negative to megadosing.

If I were to try a folk remedy, I'd definitely take echinacea over marshmallow & horseradish.
  • Oh_Cat
    Oh_Cat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Drink water! Drink water like you've never drunk water before! Flush out those bugs :D

My mum's a nurse and whenever I was sick off school, she'd put me a massive jug of water by my bed and say "I want all that to be gone by lunchtime!" - always helped massively :)