Chocolate dilemma!

Options
Ok so maybe dilemma is a tiny bit of an overstatement, but this is really stressing me out now and I need some advice!

I just had a work induced mega stressy moment (found I have to rewrite a section of my dissertation which has taken me at least 30 hours to write, because someone gave me false data, oh an it's all due in on monday), and anyway I ended up eating a ridiculous amount of chocolate. Like I mean ridiculous, it's messed up my whole planning for the day :S

Someone tell me I did the rational thing? :'( Does anyone else have this kinda knee-jerk reaction to stress?

Also should I log it or not? :S Logging it makes me even more stressed, not logging it means I'm cheating myself :S

What would other people do in this situation?

Replies

• SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Of course it wasn't a rational thing to do, it was an emotional reaction to a stressful situation. But don't beat yourself up over it, we all mess up sometimes. Log it, drink extra water and perhaps exercise a bit extra today if you can, tomorrow is a new day.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    What I would do is this:

If I had hours left in the day, I'd hit the gym and work as much of it off as possible.

If it was too late, I'd chalk it up to a learning experience, and think about ways to avoid doing the same thing in future, and then give myself a break! Tomorrow is another day :flowerforyou:
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    ps..

Log EVERYTHING. No matter what! If it bothers you, keep your diary closed so only you can see it, but if you cheat, you are ONLY cheating yourself. Log it so you can look back on it.
  • Jodi_83
    Jodi_83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Log it - feel guilty - and try to remember this feeling next time you want to eat it!!

I am the same - chocolate is my "stress food" and so I work on getting less stressed by things, as I know I have no self control once I feel stressed out

(although given the situation I'd be pretty stressed too!!)
  • Candy_monster
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys :)

I've calmed down, it's logged, and I'm planning an extra session on the wii fit, although it'll have to be a short one due to time restraints (omg there's not enough hours in the day to write this damn dissertation!! etc etc...)

What I've learnt from this is that it's not good to keep the 200g sharer bars of chocolate around the house, it's just not good :P
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I would log it and do any exercise I could before bed. I would only log it because if I didn't I would be lying to myself, and that won't help me with my goals on here.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    What I've learnt from this is that it's not good to keep the 200g sharer bars of chocolate around the house, it's just not good :P

Exactly. I could eat a pound of chocolate in no time when I was stressed and felt terrible for a couple of days because of feeling bloated. Too much sugar is like too much sodium for me, so it used to take a lot of water to dilute myself :laugh:

You nailed it there, though. Don't keep any stress foods in your reach. That's how I fought through my sweet tooth and switched to fruits instead. It took me around two months of not keeping any treats in house but now I buy them to challenge myself. Haven't yielded yet.
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to a "bad" day, dont beat yourself up about it.
    Its not like you'll put on a stone from it :) only if you eat it everyday :) good luck :)
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it I fall off the diet wagon pretty much every weekend lol, you just dust yourself off and start again all it does is slow you down but it's never stopped me :) Remember you have to eat an extra 3500 cals on top of your TDEE to gain a pound, even with my naughty weekends I'm still netting below my TDEE over the week and slowly loosing, don't sweat it, when I have a bad day I just open up my report and look at my average net for the last 7 days, usually works out fine :)
  • lsminkey
    lsminkey Posts: 16
    Options
    don't beat yourself up over it! I stress ate a whole bag of sour gummy worms a few weeks ago...I just drank a lot of water and wrote it off as a bad day!

I keep 86%+ dark chocolate in my house and eat a square (or two!) everyday. I think having it regularly keeps me from gorging on it.