Which FOOD changes are you MOST proud of?

Options
vallemic
vallemic Posts: 278 Member
As I approach the one year mark of a healthier eating lifestyle, I realize how many changes I have actually made. WOW!

-I'm better at listening to my body and USUALLY only eat when I'm hungry.
-I have cut WAY back on fast food.
-My portions are usually normal/regular now.
-I often pre-plan meals.
-I eat WAY more fruit and veggies.
-I drink ALOT less alcohol.
-I pay attention to labels most of the time.
-I eat breakfast every day.
-I try to limit foods a couple hours before bedtime.
-I bring my lunch to work 4/5 days and usually order something healthy on the days I do eat out.
-If I have a bad eating day, I don't throw in the towel!

As you can see, I used the words "usually, often, most of the time"! That has also made a difference this time around... aiming for progress, not perfection! People who do not struggle with their weight don't eat perfectly ALL the time... they eat healthy/normal portions MOST of the time!

Anyways, if I was to pick one thing in the bunch that I am the MOST proud of, it would probably be: Eating breakfast every day! I was bad at skipping breakfast before (because I snacked all night, therefore I wasn't hungry in the morning). Then, I was STARVING by 9-10am and my bad food choices would begin for the day!

What about you?

Replies

• trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    My portions. I went from eating enough for two grown men to being full on what I can fit on a small tea plate. It took time but it can be done. Now of course I'm the portion queen, I can reach into a can of almonds and pull out exactly 28, lol. ;)
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Not binging at night, right before bed. That used to be my major problem, but now I have complete control over that. If anything, I'll have a healthy snack or shake if i'm hungry.
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well I'm just starting for real this week..but I usually have an issue with drinking strawberry lemonade slushies from wherever I can find them..lol. McD's. Burger King, the smoothie place in the train station, everywhere...however, it's thursday and I haven't had one! With the exception of a naked smoothie on Monday/Tuesday (one serving one day, the next the other) and a cup of cranberry juice..all I've had was water! Proud of that!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Great topic. One of the most significant improvements I've made is realizing that under eating to reach my weight goal doesn't work. Being hungry DOESN'T make me a diet saint. Under eating DOES make me a grumpy, food obsessed head case.
  • grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    no fast food
    no fried food
    no liquid calories
    way way more fruits and veggies
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Very limited sugar and artificial sweeteners
    Lots of veggies
    Lean protein choices
    More seafood
    No binging or snacking in the evening
    Healthy fats
    Removal of refined carbs
    Limited processed foods or fast food
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Less sugary junk.
    More aware of portion sizes.
    More water.
  • mayday1969
    mayday1969 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Giving up POP! I was a Diet Dew junkie (4-6 a day). It's been 18 weeks. And I don't miss it at all!
  • kinzytg
    kinzytg Posts: 42
    Options
    Eating veggies, everyday, all kinds of veggies, veggies I never thought I would eat and actually like such as spinach, squash, eggplant, not just an occasional salad, actually cooking veggies, veggies as my main meal. No I am not a vegetarian, but I definitely eat less meat and starches. :flowerforyou:
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Portion control.

I eat everything I want but I'll fit in into my daily calories and don't go overboard with the serving size.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    No more fried food
    No more diet (or any) soda
    Portion control
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I enjoy food and don't fear it.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    propor portion control I haven`t cut anything out of my diet but I keep portion size in check and what cals I have avalible for the day. Before MFP I was drinking about a 12pack of pepsie a day :( Now I might have one every other day if that :)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone on a binge in... god I don't even remember! And I used to binge all the time.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I enjoy food and don't fear it.

Bravo!
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm most proud of cutting out fast food.. i used to have it all the time.. now it's only very occasional if at all.. I eat less meat.. I eat more fruits and vegetables now.. And if I have pasta or bread, it's has to be whole grain. I used to HATE whole grain pastas and breads, now I actually prefer it to white.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I actually made this change meany years ago but the best diet change I made is to trade overly processed white grains for whole grains and to limit sugar.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    -I track my calories. I never had the strength to do that before.
    -I can look at a donut and say, "yes, I want you in my belly. No, I don't have room in my calories for you today." ...and then actually walk away from it. CRAZY!!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I used to put about 1/4 teaspoon of salt on all my savoury meals, even when I started here and I didn't realise it was bad (salt has no calories, right :ohwell: ) Now I don't use it at all :bigsmile:
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Limiting my alcohol. I would not say that it was out of control really, but alcohol is a gateway (for me) to eating poorly. I love celebrating, and enjoying treats, but socially I really limit it as after a beer, or a glass of wine thoughts start creeping in my head like "eh, you can eat less tomorrow" ...

Again, I'm all about celebrating ... but those "treats" became an every other day thing for me ...

So while I'll often enjoy a glass of wine or beer at night with my wife, when I'm in a social environment where there is a lot of food, I reach for water or ... *looking around for the diet soda police* ... *whispers* ... diet coke! Shhhhh!