Burn 1000 calories a day and my weight is not moving :-(

Options

Replies

• tripn404
    tripn404 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    losing weight is more about what you eat than how much you burn....obivously if you are burning 1000 calories a day (wow!)
    I looked at a couple pages from your food diary... i challenge you to do one week without eating so much processed food. Stick to protein, vegetables, fruit (not too much), complex carbs, almond milk not regular milk, and lesss cheese and less iceburg lettuce with store bought dressing! Make a salad with quiona spinach beans and all kinds of veggies and a dash of vinegar and you won't need cheese and horrible store bought salad dressing to make it taste better.. see if you physically see a difference
  • Judysiguaw
    Judysiguaw Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Check out bodyrock.tv for free at home workouts, also check out a couch to 5k program, that way you can add some running into your workout, or try running up and down the stairs, look on youtube for workout videos as well. There is a lot you can do to switch it up. I also say if you're burning 1000 calories you need to be eating more, and make sure you're getting rest days as well

I love bodyrock.tv! It is difficult for most people to have time to burn 1000 calories everyday, so pay close attention to what you are eating. As a female, also expect some plateaus, then drops. I have lost 37 pounds, but it has come off very slowly. I have been carefully watching what I eat for over a year.
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just took a quick look at your diary, I agree with reducing the snacks but more importantly why are you taking all that metamucil? sometimes even twice a day?? this is not good for your body. Why don't you try substituting raspberries, they're very high in fibre and low in calories and good for you. Starving your body of food will likely have the opposite result your looking for.

Yikes :/
    I take the metamucil because I sometimes don't go to the bathroom for three days and when I do, it's not fun.

Sorry TMI but you asked and I won't get the true advice if I keep secrets.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    According to these two new scientific reviews, exercise will not help weight loss unless you also restrict calories appropriately. In addition, exercising more makes your metabolism more efficient. So yes, you need to eat more than if you don't exercise, but no you don't actually get back all the calories you burn:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/

It does make you healthy and feel good though and previous research suggests that exercise is what KEEPS weight off once you lose it.
  • hegster01
    hegster01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at your food diary but is that a picture of you? If so, you may be just maintaining your weight as it doesn't appear that you need to loose any. BTW, you look fantastic!
  • missfelicia6
    Options
    losing weight is more about what you eat than how much you burn....obivously if you are burning 1000 calories a day (wow!)
    I looked at a couple pages from your food diary... i challenge you to do one week without eating so much processed food. Stick to protein, vegetables, fruit (not too much), complex carbs, almond milk not regular milk, and lesss cheese and less iceburg lettuce with store bought dressing! Make a salad with quiona spinach beans and all kinds of veggies and a dash of vinegar and you won't need cheese and horrible store bought salad dressing to make it taste better.. see if you physically see a difference

Thanks....like my original post said, I thought I was doing it right.
    I guess I wasn't , I have to buy more fruits and vegetables. I just have a very limited income right now so I was working within my means.
  • nxd10
    Options
    Just took a quick look at your diary, I agree with reducing the snacks but more importantly why are you taking all that metamucil? sometimes even twice a day?? this is not good for your body. Why don't you try substituting raspberries, they're very high in fibre and low in calories and good for you. Starving your body of food will likely have the opposite result your looking for.

I know this isn't your problem, but my husband takes a huge amount of metamucil for diveriticulitis. Fiber is your friend!
  • missfelicia6
    Options
    I haven't looked at your food diary but is that a picture of you? If so, you may be just maintaining your weight as it doesn't appear that you need to loose any. BTW, you look fantastic!
    No, that's not me. I wish it was, that way I wouldn't be sitting here crying and complaining about my BIG BUTT!!

I can SQUEEZE into a size ten right now. I need to get into a 6
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    1. Get a heart rate monitor
    2. Log every workout and every bite of food
    3. Meet your calorie goals, don't fall below them
    4. Eat clean

Also, use the search tool on here. There's dozens of past forum posts on this topic that will help you a great deal. :)
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    No way are you burning 1000 a day. 30 day shred is not 300-400 a go. For me, and I'm 5'8 / 211 lbs, I burn maximum 200 from 30 day shred.
  • missfelicia6
    Options

I know this isn't your problem, but my husband takes a huge amount of metamucil for diveriticulitis. Fiber is your friend!

My Father has diverticulitis. I don't know if I have a medical condition or not (haven't been to the doctor about my bathroom problems yet). But I'm looking to see if the metamucil will work.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    A few points:
    1) You should use a HRM to find calories burnt, MFP and equipment estimates can be off by hundreds and don't account for how your body adjusts.
    2) You diet seems pretty good, but you may want to up your calories a little bit, even if it's just a tbsp of nut butter 3 times a week. Only adds 100 calories.
    3) You are quite close to your calorie goal. The weight will come off slower. This is even more true when you are doing exercises that build/maintain muscle such as the 30DS. Try taking before and after pictures as well as measurements. The scale may not be changing, but you still could be.
  • Onesnap
    Options

I guess I wasn't , I have to buy more fruits and vegetables. I just have a very limited income right now so I was working within my means.

Don't shy away from buying frozen fruits and veggies. They are frozen at the peak of freshness and the nutrients are well-preserved. This is not only a very healthy option it is a CHEAP option. :)
  • nxd10
    Options

I think I'm the queen of eating for cheap. Although processed food seems cheap, you can eat as cheaply healthy.

I like how my mother thinks about it: not price per pound or price per box, but price per SERVING or MEAL. Nothing is cheaper than beans and lentils for good food and (yes) fiber.

My family of four can eat a whole chicken for five meals: roast chicken dinner, two days of coup, and chicken salad.

Baked beets (I make them in a slow cooker) are delicious served hot or cold and very cheap - especially if you buy the ugly ones that they've cut the lovely greens off of. But if you buy them with greens, you get several meals because you usually get 2 meals of beets (4 beets) and at least one more of beet greens.

Cabbage can be eaten hot or cold. You can even use the leaves to make wraps instead of tortillas or bread. And it is very inexpensive per serving. A head goes forever.

Just don't buy anything that is labeled 'low fat' or 'healthy'. That doubles the price and increases the likelihood it's got funky additives.
  • missfelicia6
    Options

Don't shy away from buying frozen fruits and veggies. They are frozen at the peak of freshness and the nutrients are well-preserved. This is not only a very healthy option it is a CHEAP option. :)

True, I can do frozen.
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My exercise is limited, all I can do is walk or do a video. I don't have a gym membership.

Then Where are you getting this 1000 calorie burn from?

Seems way too high for someone of your weight. You would have to be doing hours worth of heavy weight training or sprinting to get anywhere near that.

I do the 30 day shred everyday which equals 300-400 calories. Then I do walking/jogging intervals for 50 minutes which equals to 600. That's about 1000 calories a day

Here is the low down, MFP's suggestions while sometimes accurate are hardly something you should go by, You do not burn 300-400 calories for a work out video, and you most certainly do not burn 600 calories walking. Most ppl UNDERestimate what they eat and OVER estimate what they burn.

Here is a suggestion if you dont already do it, buy a food scale, measure everything to exacts. Then you know you have your food on track.

Secondly get a heart rate monitor, It will give you an accurate number on calories burned. If it is 1000 i would be highly surprised. That seems alot, Im a 225 pound guy, and when i exercise i WRECK the gym or track, and im still only doing about 750 calories a day, at MAX.

With that being said, You are also eating A LOW amount of calories, 1200 is great for weight loss, however when doing exercise you want to properly fuel your body, Lean muscle mass uses calories where as FAT does not.

Your body will more choose to shed small amounts of muscle if you arent eating enough to maintain/repair them after a work out.

There are different suggestions ive gotten, but one i recieved from an army dietitian i liked the most. Multiply your goal weight x 11.36 (there are different numbers for body size and activity) but it ranges between 10-12 for women and 12-14 for men. mine is 210x11.36 =2385 calories. The number 11.36 is calories needed per pound of body weight. so 2385 is what my body needs to maintain at 210.

Since im still on the way to getting there (about 16 pounds off) I eat to 2385ish calories sometimes more if i had a really heavy work out, nothing usually more than 2500, and leave the rest of the extra calories to increase my deficit which as set by mfp is 470 calories for that one pound of fat loss per week.

Now after you get the right amount of calories down, be sure to check your macros. Sodium and potassium levels, carbs proteins, fats. Get a healthy balance... You need approximately 1.1-1.3 grams of protein per KG to maintain lean muscle mass, anything more than that will be converted to sugar for energy. SO DONT SKIMP on your carbs. Carbs provide you with readily available energy! USE THEM, they are your friends. i have my macros set to 30% protein 45% carbs and 25 % fats. Eat healthy fats, Nuts, avacados...

I hope some of this helps you, but you most certainly should up your calories by atleast 200.
  • caroluherek
    caroluherek Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Look for foods that are high in fibre like the raspberries, apples, celery etc and make sure to drink lots of water to keep your body hydrated. Good luck, I know that isn't fun.
  • Onesnap
    Options

True, I can do frozen.

Yes, and frozen fruit can be added to smoothies (great to always keep on hand). You can add frozen veggies to stirfrys, rice dishes, pasta dishes. Even the organic frozen produce is a reasonable price (and way healthier than canned!)
  • nxd10
    Options

Yes!

And some veggies - especially things like collards or turnips or turnip greens or okra - are very cheap frozen. They are especially good in soups and quiches and stews.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The harder you go the more you gotta eat. Gotta fuel the machine!