lunch sandwich alternative?

Options
After my lunch hour gym workout, I eat a sandwhich that contains honey wheat bread, leafy lettuce, turkey breast sliced meat, yellow mustard, and a slice of deli swiss cheese with baby carrots as a side item. I know bread isnt the best thing to eat, but a sandwich is so convinient to eat on my way back to work. With a limited amount of time to eat, what healthy alternatives could there be to this?

Replies

• dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    That sounds like a good lunch to me
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What's the matter with bread?
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love this type of lunch! I am not a salad person, so sandwhiches are a great alternative and nothing is wrong with bread as long as you are not over eating it.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    If you have a whole-grain bread, I don't see what's wrong with a sandwich.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me too!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    All I can think to suggest is maybe throw a few more veggies on the sandwich, like some tomato, and/or substitute spinach for the lettuce. You could add some fruit on the side, too.
  • gloriann1
    gloriann1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A pouch of tuna and half an avocado makes a killer tuna salad! I usually eat it with whole grain crackers :)
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Remember, you get most of your energy from carbs. What you are eating for lunch sounds well balanced, so it would be perfectly fine. Don't worry about it! :)
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I love bread ... and always will. Though I just try to be smart about it.

I'm going to tangent here for a moment and just say that if you haven't tried (and you may not even be interested) to look into making your own bread. While I enjoy making things in the oven too, I'm actually talking about a bread machine (so quick and easy). I can make some great whole wheat fresh bread, lot of fiber, and just use once slice and stack my sandwich more ... anyway, I know it's a cost to purchase one, but it's one of the few small appliances that I use a ton! Plus you eliminate all the preservatives and save money in the long run as it's pretty cheap to make it yourself.

Going back on topic ... to eliminate the biggest problem of deli meat (in my opinion, the sodium) what about cooking up (even poaching) some chicken breasts in advance ... thinly sliced it's much healthier and still yummy on a sandwich ... also, veggies (including avocados) makes for a filling healthy sandwich too.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    What's the matter with bread?

Ditto. There is a certain faction that thinks grains = the devil, but other than the carb sensitive people, the gluten intolerant, or the extremists, most people are just fine eating bread.
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    I eat that for lunch a lot at work. I substitute lettuce for baby spinach. I guess you're worried about carbs? Well unless you eat more bread later on in the day, I wouldn't worry. If you are trying to not eat carbs or at least eat less, then I've heard of people using large leaves of lettuce to wrap their sandwich instead of bread. But I love my bread, in moderation. And I think a balanced diet is better for my health in the long run. Though I am sure someone up here will spout off about the evils of carbs and wheat ect......ect....
  • andrearaquel48
    andrearaquel48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. If you want less bread but to still eat a sandwich you could try something like Orowheat Thins - like a thin, round, soft sandwich bun, 5 grams of fiber, and only 100 calories.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I really don't think bread is a big deal if you are able to fit it into your calorie goals. That said, I recently saw a recipe posted on a Paleo website where they took a big red bell pepper and cut it into large pieces and used them as "bread" for a burger. You could definitely do something like that if you really want to get away from bread, but I don't really see it as a big deal!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Sounds great to me. If you are worried bout it you could sub a low carb tortilla?
  • CharliesAngel1
    CharliesAngel1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think the bread is fine if it's whole grain! :-) The only thing I personally would do would be to have chicken breast instead of turkey and spinach instead of lettuce. Less processing and nitrates, more nutrition etc.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that, but if you're getting bored of it, another convenient hand-held lunch option could be a burrito, wrap, or pita pocket. You could even try a lettuce wrap if you're that concerned about the bread!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    post workout...protein and carbs...i dont see a problem!!! You should try the Ezekial bread. It has more protein and fiber!
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, wraps are awesome ...
    Nothing wrong with that, but if you're getting bored of it, another convenient hand-held lunch option could be a burrito, wrap, or pita pocket. You could even try a lettuce wrap if you're that concerned about the bread!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You could always use Ezekiel bread if you want to substitute. I would recommend the 7 grain.

There's nothing wrong with regular bread.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I love having a snadwich for lunch.

I only switched (to make it healthier) from butter bread to whole grain wheat bread.