Relieving TMJ pain?

Options
butterflylover527
butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
I've been diagnosed w/ TMJ but I cannot get a split until after I have my wisdom teeth taken out (which will be in Feb :frown: ) because that might help relieve the pain.

But for the mean time I am suffering, and today has been worse than usual. My jaw is hurting my ear and it causing me to get extremely dizzy and to have a throbbing headache.

I've tried the night split (cheapo from the store) but I can't sleep with it in. I've tried every pain med known to man (meds don't work on me) and I've tried just rubbing my jaw (which right now is making me even more dizzy)

Any tip or tricks to help with TMJ?

Replies

• XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I actually bought a book for relieving t,mj let me see if I can work this iPad well enough to post some good exercises for it.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Oh man I am so glad you posted this. I've been dealing with a horrible case of TMJ for a couple weeks. The chiropractor is the only thing that gave me some relief - not full though. My dentist is going to get me a nightguard to see if that keeps me from grinding my teeth and help me. My doctor said to avoid things that aggravate it like chewing gum and such.

I wish I could be of more help :\ give the chiro a try and see if that helps, mine was relieved by adjusting my neck some. My range of motion is greatly improved it just still hurts when I open my mouth to its widest point but its a lot better than the constant agony I was in.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, chiropractic or acupuncture can help. Just be aware that sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.
  • mrsmyers1988
    Options
    get you a night guard from walmart, or get one made at your dentist's office. also try and manage your stress levels.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I used to do exercises for it... pressing your tongue to the roof of your mouth firmly then open your mouth like you are yawning.
  • abcmom03
    abcmom03 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Chiropractic care can sometimes give you some relief. The night splint will help so much. Try some warm compresses on your jaw and avoid anything that involves alot of chewing...gum, candy, ice, beef jerky is a killer too! Good luck!
  • mrsmyers1988
    Options
    if your tmj is caused by clinching during the day chewing gum can help, but obviously if it makes it worse then stop. sometimes its repeated motion that aggravates it.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've been able to do is when I start to feel that pain, I start working my jaw loose...move it from side to side. Consciously make yourself relax.
  • LuvDMB
    LuvDMB Posts: 26
    Options
    I work in a dental office that specializes in TMD (tempromandibulor disorder) and if you can't get a night guard right away, try warm compresses on the side of your face to help relax the muscle and ibuprofen. Also, all night guards take some getting use to. Try using it consistently for the next couple of weeks. Waking up and finding it on your pillow is not uncommon. But be mindful of symptoms getting worse. Night guards are not one size fits all and sometimes the over the counter ones can make symptoms worse. Has your dentist mentioned the possibility of the wisdom teeth being the culprit?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    February is a LONG way off to deal with that kind of pain. I'd insist the dentist/oral surgeon do something sooner.

Getting a splint and having it properly adjusted was the only thing that helped my TMJ.
  • butterflylover527
    Options
    I work in a dental office that specializes in TMD (tempromandibulor disorder) and if you can't get a night guard right away, try warm compresses on the side of your face to help relax the muscle and ibuprofen. Also, all night guards take some getting use to. Try using it consistently for the next couple of weeks. Waking up and finding it on your pillow is not uncommon. But be mindful of symptoms getting worse. Night guards are not one size fits all and sometimes the over the counter ones can make symptoms worse. Has your dentist mentioned the possibility of the wisdom teeth being the culprit?

They are fairly sure that's the problem since I have huge wisdom teeth and a small mouth.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have horrible, disabling TMJ pain. Stress is a huge factor as I am a teeth grinder and clencher. When it does flare up, it gets so bad that all I can do is cry and lay on my back. Sleeping on the side of my face makes the pressure much worse.

I avoid flare ups by trying to keep my stress level down and honestly, smoked herbs to relax my jaw. :laugh: If you can get medicinal marijuana, I highly recommend it for a stiff/locked jaw.
  • butterflylover527
    Options
    February is a LONG way off to deal with that kind of pain. I'd insist the dentist/oral surgeon do something sooner.

Getting a splint and having it properly adjusted was the only thing that helped my TMJ.

We don't have the money to pay for it and our insurance will fully cover it in February, that's why I have to wait
  • jmsouth5
    jmsouth5 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have always had a slight problem if I had to open my mouth wide, so I just did my best to avoid it. Lately I have had a lot more tension in my shoulders and neck, A LOT! I think I need a really good message first to loosen up and then visit the Chiropractor. Right now my jaw cracks any time and every time I am eating ANYTHING. Driving me crazy, but no pain thankfully.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

We don't have the money to pay for it and our insurance will fully cover it in February, that's why I have to wait

I understand. There is only one office in town that treats TMJ and they require a $5,000 deposit just for a consultation! It's not covered by my insurance either.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    See if this works..Ok hope these are taken well enough and might help 1st pic is of the book

ac4c381c.jpg

935deba4.jpg

0407600f.jpg

83544e03.jpg

70e26dee.jpg

24a23c8a.jpg

a7d5e181.jpg

d8052b43.jpg

ee3b182e.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Ugh... I know what that's like. I had to pay out of pocket for a lot of my treatment (the doctors covered by my medical insurance sucked, and my dentist was a genius, but not covered by the insurance), and while it was a financial hardship, it was worth it. Being in pain is worse than being in debt.
  • butterflylover527
    Options
    See if this works..Ok hope these are taken well enough and might help 1st pic is of the book

Thank you!
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    I get some relief from massaging it from the inside of my mouth. Sounds weird I know but take your thumb and press up by where your ear is connected. You'll know it when you find the spot, try massaging that and see if it helps.
  • butterflylover527
    Options
    Thanks guys! Anything else?