Workout Schedules/Routines?

Options
For those of you (preferably women but anyone is welcome to put their input) who make out a schedule and routine for your workouts, what are they? I am curious because I've been thinking about doing this so that I am prepared when I go to the gym, and I know exactly what I want and NEED to do to get results.

For example, your schedule is to go to the gym Monday-Friday.

Monday:
30 minutes of cardio (tredmill? bike? elliptical?)
50 minutes of strength training (legs? arms? abs)

And specifically what machines you use and stuff? And if you switch it up on Tuesday, what do you do on Tuesday? I'm not a girl who is afraid of getting too buff! I want to get toned as I lose weight and I am mainly looking for this advice to better my strength training routine!

Replies

• montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My schedule is:

Monday - strength training for 30 to 40 minutes (DVD's or one of the Wii Active series)
    Tuesday - biking 35 to 40 minutes (or spin bike during the winter months)
    Wednesday - 3 mile run or speed work for my running
    Thursday - REST
    Friday - 3 to 4.5 mile run
    Saturday - hiking (or strength training during the winter months)
    Sunday - 6 to 11 mile run

Plus I try to get out for a walk of 1.2 - 1.5 miles on my morning and afternoon breaks at work. Two to four days a week I walk with a friend at lunch and we do 2 to 3 miles.

Took me a long time to build up to this workout, I started out by just walking 1/4 to 1/2 mile on breaks at work. Slowly incorporated different things into my routine and I found activities I enjoyed and was willing to continue to do going forward.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    give a 5x5 program a shot. You'd lift 3 days per week and could use your off days for light cardio.

when I first started and wanted to lose weight, i saw the best results from weight training.
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Cardio 30-60 mins everyday ; strength every other day. DONE!
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Abs, butt, and arm toning.
    Tuesday Thursday: Either treadmill or elliptical and other legs toning
    Monday-Friday evening: Zumba!
    Saturday morning: Zumba if I don't have plan on Saturday.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mine?
    Walking 30-60 minutes every day.
    Run every other day 3-6 miles)
    Weights every other day

I'm at a different stage in life I've been lifting for years, and am happy to just maintain my strength now.
    I'm focusing on my cardio health now too. Much more than I did in the past.
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    My schedule is:

Monday - strength training for 30 to 40 minutes (DVD's or one of the Wii Active series)
    Tuesday - biking 35 to 40 minutes (or spin bike during the winter months)
    Wednesday - 3 mile run or speed work for my running
    Thursday - REST
    Friday - 3 to 4.5 mile run
    Saturday - hiking (or strength training during the winter months)
    Sunday - 6 to 11 mile run

Plus I try to get out for a walk of 1.2 - 1.5 miles on my morning and afternoon breaks at work. Two to four days a week I walk with a friend at lunch and we do 2 to 3 miles.

Took me a long time to build up to this workout, I started out by just walking 1/4 to 1/2 mile on breaks at work. Slowly incorporated different things into my routine and I found activities I enjoyed and was willing to continue to do going forward.

Wow, amazing! I would love to get to the point where I can run 11 miles!
  • krystyleee
    Options
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Abs, butt, and arm toning.
    Tuesday Thursday: Either treadmill or elliptical and other legs toning
    Monday-Friday evening: Zumba!
    Saturday morning: Zumba if I don't have plan on Saturday.

This is more where I'm at! I might try this out!
  • krystyleee
    Options
    give a 5x5 program a shot. You'd lift 3 days per week and could use your off days for light cardio.

when I first started and wanted to lose weight, i saw the best results from weight training.

I notice my body changing more when I weight train, too! I stopped weight training at one point and I have no idea why. Trying to get back into it. Thanks!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    This week I did something like this...

Day 1 back, biceps, triceps
    Day 2 chest and quads
    Day 3 shoulders
    Day 4 calves and abs
    Day 5 full leg workout
    Day 6 off
    day 7 cardio only

Day 1-5 I did a bike ride most mornings as I am trying to make the most of the summer weather and freedom to get outdoors for cardio.

As for specific machines/ exercises, I usually just choose 4-6 exercises for each body part and go through them...

For example, today I did biceps and it was like this
    alternate dumbell curls 3 x 10
    inclined dumbell curls 3 x 110
    concentration curls 3 x 10
    hammer curls 4 x 12

For calves (don't remember the reps) but I did
    standing calf raises,
    seated calf raises
    calf raises on the leg press machine

Good advice to try stronglifts and alternate cardio on the other days if you are fairly new to weight lifting?
  • bbbsmama
    bbbsmama Posts: 96
    Options
    This week was like this:

Monday-back/bis/tris (about 45 minutes) & run 1.5 miles
    Tuesday-legs/abs (about 45 minutes) & 30 minutes bike or elliptical
    Wednesday-chest/shoulders (about 45 minutes) & run 2.5 miles
    Thursday-Rest (I might walk 2 miles)
    Friday-cardio (bike or elliptical) & abs (about 45 minutes)
    Saturday-cardio & bis/tris (bike or elliptical) & abs (about 45 minutes)
    Sunday-run 3.5 miles

I do free weights and machines. I usually do 3 reps of 12, 8, & 6, moving up 5 pounds each rep. I am at the gyms about 2 hours a day, except Thursday & Sunday.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I haven't been doing this too long so I am still trying to figure out my schedule. I seem to be settling into this though:

Monday AM - C25K for 30min
    Tuesday PM - "hard core" class (strength training focusing on abs, obliques, back, and glutes) for 30 min, lift weights for 30-60 min
    Wednesday AM - C25K for 30 min
    Wednesday PM - Pilates class for 60 min OR swim for 60 min OR spin class for 60 min OR take the evening off and spend time with a friend
    Thursday PM - swim for 60 min OR elliptical for 30 min and bike for 30 min
    Friday AM - C25K for 30 min

I would like to incorporate something on Saturdays more often too. Maybe an AM Pilates class if I didn't go on Wednesday or some light cardio and a little strength training. Once I purchase a bike I would like to incorporate an outdoor bike ride too--I might just end up using it to commute because I'm not sure where else to fit it in. If it's not too hot out, I also like taking long walks on Sunday afternoons...or any day really.
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My work schedule changes every week so I do not label it by day of the week but rather just try to go 4 times.

Day 1
    30-45 minutes elliptical - intervals
    Arms: bicep curl, tricep kickbacks, shoulder press
    Abs

Day 2
    Chest and back: pec fly, bench press machine (working my way up to really benching - recovering from an injury), row, lat pulldown
    Abs

Day 3
    Legs: extension, curl, press, hip adduction, hip abduction
    Abs

Day 4
    50-60 minutes elliptical (30 intervals, 20-30 manual)
    Abs

Working on adding in more strength training but this is what works right now.