What should I be using for breakfast? Meal Replacement Shak

Options
Quick question here for you all this morning =)

(1) I don't eat breakfast (im just never hungry in the morning and I hate things like Cereal/Oatmeal). I realize I need to eat breakfast- I need to fuel my body for the day- it's no wonder I never have any energy in the morning! Also- I have decided
to follow weight loss surgery guidelines for eating (proteins at the start of meals and should be 50% of the meal etc.. water.. exercise etc..) (and I have NOT had the surgery- nor do I plan too...) SO my question is this. Since I'm going to force myself to
"eat breakfast" I don't know if a better option is a Meal Replacement Shake (like a Carnation Instant Breakfast) or a Protein
Shake? I know the protein shakes say, "Not for meal replacement".. but when I checked, the Carnation Instant Breakfasts
only had 5g of Protein.

Replies

• kellieb71
    Options
    Morning Violet!

If you're looking for a good WLS friendly shake, you may want to look into whey proteins - they all have much more protein than the Carnation Instant Breakfasts, and most of them taste pretty good too. I have some favorites, Jay Robb's Whey Protein (vanilla and chocolate both are awesome). You can also do a lot with them with torani syrups. I'll dig out my list of recipes and send them to you if you'd like - just send me a note.

HTH

Kellie
  • ashaver_21
    Options
    Hey Violet,

I use Advocare meal replacement shakes. They have 24 grams of easily digestible proteins and 50% of the daily value of bone-supporting calcium. I don't drink milk or eat cereal so the calcium is a must for me. You mix it in water or blend with fresh or frozen fruit for flavor variety. It comes in chocolate or vanilla. I drink one every morning and have a hard boiled egg after. If you need more info on it let me know! Check out my site at www.advocare.com/09121259
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Hello Violet!

I keep hard boiled eggs on hand - they're cheap, they last, and if you eat the yolk it helps you not get that super fast hungry snap after breakfast!

I also have cottage cheese - just a half a cup with some blue berries in it (I keep frozen blue berries).

Another fast breakfast is a spoon full of natural peanut butter - super fast and easy so I have no excuse to miss my breakfast as I dash out the door!

I know those are boring ideas -but they are real whole foods and natural and affordable too!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Every am shortly after I wake up I have a whey protein shake...this is my own little concoction
    I use about 6 ounces of unsweetend almond milk (trying the low carb/low sugar), some wheat germ, some all natural no sugar added PB, and a scoop of designer whey vanilla protein powder
    I gulp it down in a few secs and it keep me full for a good 3 hrs

Good luck finding something that works
    If u don't like traditional b-fast foods you could always have some string cheese and nuts....and maybe a banana and yogurt/greek yogurt

Kim
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi again, Violet:flowerforyou:

I used to be a no breakfast eater, but I learned that eating breakfast kept my metabolism up and from my own experience, I learned starting the day with high protein and some fat will keep me from getting as hungry later in the day. Any cure for the night time nibbles is a GOOD thing!!:bigsmile:

When I first started, I was using Slimfast or the equivalent shakes for breakfast, mainly because I started work at 5 am:yawn: and it was the only thing I could even think about putting on my stomach, as I usually didn't feel hungry. Mercifully, I am no longer working that early, so I started using Zone Perfect nutrition bars. They are available at Costco and often included in the coupon book, so they are cheaper there than Walmart, for example. I found the bars to be more satisfying longer because they had more protein than the shakes, and they were solid. In both cases, I would usually have a banana or a nonfat yogurt about 2-3 hours after and that would hold me 'til lunch time.

I have been off work for several weeks, and my new favorite breakfast is an Orowheat Sandwich Multigrain Sandwich thin, or a Thomas light Multigrain English Muffin, a tablespoon of Almond Butter (I like Earth Balance brand, no refrigeration needed) and for added protein, I add a quarter cup of roasted soybeans. The whole thing is only 260 calories, 7 grams of fat and 18 grams of protein. I can easily go 4 hours without being hungry if I start the day with that.

Good luck finding things that work for you, and I am glad to see you are a label reader. It will help you make better choices. And remember, from the other thread, take it one step at a time to avoid overwhelming yourself with changes.:flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Isagenix Meal replacement shakes
    240 calories
    23 grams of protein
    6 grams of fat
    26 grams of carbohydrate
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Nikki_Z
    Nikki_Z Posts: 28
    Options
    A protein shake and some fruit is probably a better way to go. Watch out for high sugars in most meal replacement shakes - you should also check the sugar content of the protein shake if you use a ready-made one.

I often have to wake up at 5am and I don't really feel like eating solid food that early, so I make a protein shake with Vega and Soyone, fruit, splash of juice, water and ice cubes. I don't recommend Vega for those new to protein. It's plant based, and doesn't mix all that well (very grainy because of the fibers), plus it turns everything green! But it is a complete meal replacement powder.