cheap/healthy recipes for college students?

Options
School starts soon and I have a low budget for food after paying bills and rent. Any yummy recipes that are quick, cheap, but still healthy that you could share with me? (oh and i don't eat meat)

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If you like chili- it's easy and cheap. A can of red kidney beans, a can of tomatoes, some chili powder, and an optional pinch of brown sugar. If you have a dollar store, you can probably find all of the items there. Try to find low sodium canned goods if you can.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    School starts soon and I have a low budget for food after paying bills and rent. Any yummy recipes that are quick, cheap, but still healthy that you could share with me? (oh and i don't eat meat)

Veggie casseroles are good. And do you eat eggs? If so, try a veggie/cheese strata. That works for both breakfast, lunch & dinner :).
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    try veganyumyum.com I am not vegetarian/vegan, but I found some good stuff on here.

I'm always a fan of throwing a bunch of stuff in a pan with pasta. One of my faves I made was diced tomatoes, garlic, parsley, zucchini, and onions with whatever pasta you choose. Add some spices in as you wish (onion powder, garlic, S&P, chili flakes). It's super easy and makes great leftovers!
  • Nikki_Z
    Nikki_Z Posts: 28
    Options
    I used to use a cookbook called "Vegan Cooking for One". It had grocery lists for the week, so when I knew what I planned on eating and I went to the store with a list, I ended up spending maybe $30 a week on food.

I'm a grad student now, and I still try to plan my meals for the week in advance so I only have to shop once (maybe twice if I run out of something). I make a list and stick to it. I also allow myself to eat at school once a week for lunch if I know it's a crazy week.

My best advice: PLAN PLAN PLAN.