Primal question for ladies... Really

Options
So I have an interesting question. I have been eating primal with some dairy, mostly greek yogurt. I have cut out almost all carbs except those found in non starchy vegetable and now have been "spotting." I am on the pill (jolessa). It has me on my period once every 3 months. I am sensitive to cycles around me but have for no reason that I can think of begun my period mid cycle. Could this be related to my high protein diet? I am 50 and could be pre-menopausal.

Replies

• SVallatini
    Options
    I doubt it's high protein. But I am not an expert, I would suggest you call your doctor. Sounds to me like you are pre-menopausal, which can start as early as your forties.
  • fpcmauhlarik
    Options
    Any other signs of peri-menopause? I am 50 and in menopause, so if you haven't started peri-menopause I would suspect that might be what is going on. I do have a gf who is on the pill and still cycling (older that me), so maybe that is correcting some of the other signs of peri-menopause. Average age of menopausal women is 50. Love the primal lifestyle ;)

Paula
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i have PCOS, and since i started MFP and drastically cut my carbs , i have not had a cycle, just one day of spotting. Cutting carbs plays with hormones so that could be it (unfortunately due to PCOS i know waaaaay too much about how they play off of each other)
  • allirep
    allirep Posts: 26
    Options
    it could easily be the swing in hormones. i've been eating primal for about 6wks and my last cycle was a little off. never hurts to talk to your doctor though.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I would say it's menopause... most women enter into the early stages between the ages of 45-50.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    my guess is it's perfectly normal. And you would have to go very, very low carb for quite a while for your body to shut down your reproductive system. Could be that Primal is getting your hormones back on track. And your body might also not like that pill so much anymore. Those pills I'm sure aren't too healthy for you reproductive hormones (making the body think it's in a constant state of pregnancy just doesn't sound healthy to me).

I'd say menopause. (Do some reserach on peri-menopause).
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input , all! i do have a gyno appt pretty soon so I will be asking those questions then. Also my I can be test for pre- menopause. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything like this. The change in cycle has been quite drastic.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    no fair, I had to get off the pill at 40 b/c my blood pressure was increasing. I'm 49 still have my same heavy periods :(
    just call your obgyn and ask a nurse- they make talk to you over the phone. let us know...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    try eating some carbs for a week or so. i did atkins a few years back but always had the odd week off. you don't have to go mad on the potatoes and bread but you cd try a bit more fruit and veg - if it doesn't help, its not your diet.