Serious question to help my husband!!!

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I think cleansing is necessary, but it's ok if you don't.

Can you name one toxin that you are removing with a cleanse?

Dihydrogen Monoxide

lol
  • Jamesecj
    Jamesecj Posts: 20
    Options
    Can you name one toxin that you are removing with a cleanse?
    [/quote]

OMG... I'm really not about to go back and forth with you, especially since I responded to someone elses forum and not yours. So that being said, you gave the advice you thought was best and so did I. Let's not make this about our differences on importance/non-importance of a cleanse. :)
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same, 6'3" 180, he eats like it's about to go out of style and works out hard but can't build up (too much cardio IMO). I'm bumping for him.

Glad he's not the only one!!!
  • TxAngel79
    Options
    My husband is the same, 6'3" 180, he eats like it's about to go out of style and works out hard but can't build up (too much cardio IMO). I'm bumping for him.

When bulking cardio should be seldom at best.

I did not know this! He doesn't do much cardio, usually does when we work out together. And we don't do that often because he kills me!
  • TxAngel79
    Options
    He looks GREAT as he is now. He does not need to be bigger.. Looking fit is better than looking huge!
    Sorry to any body builder or anyone out there who is bulking up greatly, but muscular fit is better than muscular huge!

Advice of the others on protein and calories..

Thank you!! I think he looks amazing now!!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm not about to go back and forth with you, especially since I responded to someone elses forum and not yours. So that being said, you gave the advice you thought was best and so did I. Let's not make this about our differences on importance/non-importance of a cleanse. :)

I'm sure the OP won't mind exploring this. I was actually looking forward to your reply.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I'm not about to go back and forth with you, especially since I responded to someone elses forum and not yours. So that being said, you gave the advice you thought was best and so did I. Let's not make this about our differences on importance/non-importance of a cleanse. :)

I'm sure the OP won't mind exploring this. I was actually looking forward to your reply.

I just want to clarify that my questioning the above advice is not intended as a personal attack. I am simply stating that there is no real evidence that I've seen, that the practice of cleansing is arbitrarily beneficial. Even more-so for someone bulking but I would also claim that it's not necessary when cutting either.

That being said, if anyone would like to validate this practice, I am happy to listen. I'm even willing to change my position on this given enough credible evidence supporting it.
  • TxAngel79
    Options

I just want to clarify that my questioning the above advice is not intended as a personal attack. I am simply stating that there is no real evidence that I've seen, that the practice of cleansing is arbitrarily beneficial. Even more-so for someone bulking but I would also claim that it's not necessary when cutting either.

That being said, if anyone would like to validate this practice, I am happy to listen. I'm even willing to change my position on this given enough credible evidence supporting it.

My husband has a good relationship with a lot of trainers, and with a bodybuilder and they told him not do a cleanse! He just went off his supplements for a month and cut out processed foods! Of course doing this he lost from 195 to 179. However he leaned out and his abs are alot more defined! Now he's wanting to bulk back up!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You said he's hungry half an hour after a big meal. This isn't normal.

for an active person i dont think this is abnormal at all, most days i need more than 4000 calories and if you eat healthy you need to be eating constantly to get that many in, i am 6'2 195, so a little behind her husband in the fitness category but i am hungry 30 minutes after a meal just like her husband, always have been.

i would definitely suggest tracking food for a week or two, when i started to do that i noticed some things in my diet that i didnt realize - for me it was the amount of sugar i was taking in despite never having a cookie. i was getting it through bread and some other places that were easy for me to change out, i just didnt know they were holding me back, he may have a similar revelation like maybe he isnt getting enough protein, i sometimes have trouble finding enough in my diet and i am a cardio guy not a lifter.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I'm waiting to see if she has anything to support how cleansing is helpful.
  • TxAngel79
    Options
    You said he's hungry half an hour after a big meal. This isn't normal.

for an active person i dont think this is abnormal at all, most days i need more than 4000 calories and if you eat healthy you need to be eating constantly to get that many in, i am 6'2 195, so a little behind her husband in the fitness category but i am hungry 30 minutes after a meal just like her husband, always have been.

i would definitely suggest tracking food for a week or two, when i started to do that i noticed some things in my diet that i didnt realize - for me it was the amount of sugar i was taking in despite never having a cookie. i was getting it through bread and some other places that were easy for me to change out, i just didnt know they were holding me back, he may have a similar revelation like maybe he isnt getting enough protein, i sometimes have trouble finding enough in my diet and i am a cardio guy not a lifter.

Thanks for responding on this! How is the no smoking going!? Yes he's very active, works 12 hour shifts which he walks close to 10 miles a day while working. Then he's at the gym, or at the fire dept(volunteer fire fighter). The only time he stops is when he's asleep, driving, or just chilling in the water with a cold one! I'm going to talk to him about using his MFP again and seeing what all he is putting inot his body! I can tell you right now, I know he is not eating enough protein!
  • Jamesecj
    Options
    I certainly didn't take it as a personal attack. I respect your beliefs if that's what you've come learn through your research. I just don't want to debate about cleansing on this post since this was really about ways to help her husband. Also, I spoke from my friends personal testimonies who've struggled with similar issues so there is no real debate to be had from that perspective.

However, more and more scientific research and developments are coming out about cleansing. Not only are we breathing in toxins daily from pullution, but our bodies can create toxins and become toxic from the junk we put in it and not keeping it healthy. I'm not a scientist nor have I personally done studies on the effects of a cleanse, however I do trust the sources that have already done the work so that lay people like myself can understand. The research that I have read came from dr's/scientist who are considered experts/leaders in their field who are very credible and have created and found ground breaking research/findings regarding health. I'm certainly in no position to challenge them.

I will say choosing a good cleanse that is safe can be tricky and if you don't choose a good one you can do more harm than good (I only trust Advocare). If you have more questions about the science of cleansing feel free to contact the sci/med board link below. I believe you will get your answers there.

https://www.advocare.com/science/default.aspx

For further debate hit my inbox :)
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I certainly didn't take it as a personal attack. I respect your beliefs if that's what you've come learn through your research. I just don't want to debate about cleansing on this post since this was really about ways to help her husband. Also, I spoke from my friends personal testimonies who've struggled with similar issues so there is no real debate to be had from that perspective.

However, more and more scientific research and developments are coming out about cleansing. Not only are we breathing in toxins daily from pullution, but our bodies can create toxins and become toxic from the junk we put in it and not keeping it healthy. I'm not a scientist nor have I personally done studies on the effects of a cleanse, however I do trust the sources that have already done the work so that lay people like myself can understand. The research that I have read came from dr's/scientist who are considered experts/leaders in their field who are very credible and have created and found ground breaking research/findings regarding health. I'm certainly in no position to challenge them.

I will say choosing a good cleanse that is safe can be tricky and if you don't choose a good one you can do more harm than good (I only trust Advocare). If you have more questions about the science of cleansing feel free to contact the sci/med board link below. I believe you will get your answers there.

https://www.advocare.com/science/default.aspx

For further debate hit my inbox :)

I'm going to reply to this not to debate you, but to provide information for other people that may be reading this. I just want to be clear on that so you don't think I'm attempting to go back and forth with you or convince you otherwise.

That being said:

Of course a company that is selling a product to apparently remove supposed "toxins" is going to provide what they can to say that their product is beneficial because they have a vested financial interest in doing so. This is very similar to how I would be cautious about a study showing the immediate need of PWO protein when the study is being done by a company that sells whey protein.

Your liver and kindeys cleanse your body of toxins. They're designed for it and they do a remarkable job of it. I have yet to see any credible evidence (and by credible, I would mean peer reviewed research that isn't funded by a company that sells cleansing products) that indicates the following facts:

1) Toxins build up in your system and your liver and kidneys cannot remove them.
    AND (not or)
    2) These toxins are not removed by abstaining from the foods causing the toxic buildup
    AND
    3) Drinking or consuming the cleansing product (a shake, for example) DOES remove these toxins.

Given the above evidence, I would absolutely reconsider my position on this. But since I've yet to see any evidence even remotely suggesting the necessity of the above, I will continue to call it a complete waste of money.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Any unbiased data you can provide to back this up?
  • Jamesecj
    Options
    [/quote]

My husband has a good relationship with a lot of trainers, and with a bodybuilder and they told him not do a cleanse! He just went off his supplements for a month and cut out processed foods! Of course doing this he lost from 195 to 179. However he leaned out and his abs are alot more defined! Now he's wanting to bulk back up!
    [/quote]

That was just advice my friends were given. They were instructed to do so for better absorption however it was certainly modified to fit their needs since they didn't want to lose but bulk.
  • devodev44
    devodev44 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    He should lift heavy, increasing the weight lifted regularly. If he doesn't have a weight lifting routine in place already, he can try Stronglists 5X5 or similar. He should eat a bit more- particularly a lot of protein, a good amount of carbs, and a moderate amount of fat. General recommendation is to eat 10-20% over his TDEE, with 1.1-1.5 g protein per lb of lean body mass, ~20-25% of calories from fat, and the rest from carbs. These articles should help him set up a plan:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/the-baseline-diet-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/the-baseline-diet-part-2.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/muscle-gain/mass-gain-fundamentals

I agree with the general advice given here. He has a great base and may be interested in DC Training (google it and read from the official site).

As others said, eating more (but clean!) than he even is now and pounding the weights is the formula. Nothing tricky about it, just gotta get it done just like those of us you are trying to go in the opposite direction.
  • Jamesecj
    Options
    Any unbiased data you can provide to back this up?

When i was looking for myself, I looked in online nutrition and health journals. I also spoke with several doctors and asked for their view points. I would encourage you to do the same. I posted that link because you can ask questions there about any science regarding health and they will respond. It's not just limited to Advocare products.
  • Jamesecj
    Options
    I'm going to reply to this not to debate you, but to provide information for other people that may be reading this. I just want to be clear on that so you don't think I'm attempting to go back and forth with you or convince you otherwise.

That being said:

Of course a company that is selling a product to apparently remove supposed "toxins" is going to provide what they can to say that their product is beneficial because they have a vested financial interest in doing so. This is very similar to how I would be cautious about a study showing the immediate need of PWO protein when the study is being done by a company that sells whey protein.

Your liver and kindeys cleanse your body of toxins. They're designed for it and they do a remarkable job of it. I have yet to see any credible evidence (and by credible, I would mean peer reviewed research that isn't funded by a company that sells cleansing products) that indicates the following facts:

1) Toxins build up in your system and your liver and kidneys cannot remove them.
    AND (not or)
    2) These toxins are not removed by abstaining from the foods causing the toxic buildup
    AND
    3) Drinking or consuming the cleansing product (a shake, for example) DOES remove these toxins.

Given the above evidence, I would absolutely reconsider my position on this. But since I've yet to see any evidence even remotely suggesting the necessity of the above, I will continue to call it a complete waste of money.
    [/quote]

The link was provided so you can ask the 9 dr's and scientists on the board for their peer reviewed research. They have their careers on the line and have more to lose then to support bogus products. As I stated before, they are all credible with an extensive background in science/nutrition, who are revered and well respected in the medical community. Feel free to look them up yourself along with their accolades and accomplishments. As you know data can be used to prove any point so it's up to the person the believe what they want to believe.

YES our liver and kidneys remove toxins efficiently but we can certainly assist our bodies in performing at top peak by keep it healthy. And if you go back to my original post the cleanse was suggested to clean the intestines for better absorption. However I do believe, keeping our intestines clean allows for less toxins that need to be removed.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    The link was provided so you can ask the 9 dr's and scientists on the board for their peer reviewed research.
    They have their careers on the line and have more to lose then to support bogus products. As I stated before, they are all credible with an extensive background in science/nutrition, who are revered and well respected in the medical community. Feel free to look them up yourself along with their accolades and accomplishments. As you know data can be used to prove any point so it's up to the person the believe what they want to believe.

So you mean the doctors that are appointed to the advocare board, who have a vested financial interest in advocare, will provide unbiased information?
    YES our liver and kidneys remove toxins efficiently but we can certainly assist our bodies in performing at top peak by keep it healthy. And if you go back to my original post the cleanse was suggested to clean the intestines. Keeping our intestines clean allows for less toxins that need to be removed.

You keep referencing toxins that need to be removed. Can you name one toxin? Certainly if a toxin exists and builds up in our system, it would have a name by now?

I do agree that we should keep our bodies healthy. Cleansing shakes are not a necessary part of this plan.
  • Jamesecj
    Options
    The link was provided so you can ask the 9 dr's and scientists on the board for their peer reviewed research.
    They have their careers on the line and have more to lose then to support bogus products. As I stated before, they are all credible with an extensive background in science/nutrition, who are revered and well respected in the medical community. Feel free to look them up yourself along with their accolades and accomplishments. As you know data can be used to prove any point so it's up to the person the believe what they want to believe.

So you mean the doctors that are appointed to the advocare board, who have a vested financial interest in advocare, will provide unbiased information?
    YES our liver and kidneys remove toxins efficiently but we can certainly assist our bodies in performing at top peak by keep it healthy. And if you go back to my original post the cleanse was suggested to clean the intestines. Keeping our intestines clean allows for less toxins that need to be removed.

You keep referencing toxins that need to be removed. Can you name one toxin? Certainly if a toxin exists and builds up in our system, it would have a name by now?

I do agree that we should keep our bodies healthy. Cleansing shakes are not a necessary part of this plan.
    [/quote

check you inbox