First week of CrossFit done!

Options
My husband and I joined a CrossFit gym and today was the last day of the first week!

I was definitely more nervous that he was but we checked out the gym a few times and everyone seemed really nice.

For those that don't know there is an "elements class" that introduces you to the different exercises and teaches the correct techniques. No matter what your abilities are there are modifications to help. We did pull ups today and they had bands for me to stand on because my upper arm strength is not quite awesome yet.

My husband ripped a bunch of skin off of his hand, I have a picture I can post but it looks nasty! lol.

If anyone has been thinking of doing CrossFit but is scared I urge you to reconsider and try it out!

I know that every gym is different and it all depends on the people that are there.

I was shocked when I could easily deadlift 55 lbs. It was so much fun and gave me such an adrenaline rush because it's something so new to me.

Luckily the trainers there are sooo nice and accommodating. They have free childcare and take care of our 10 month old when we are there. Every time I look over the trainer is talking to her and playing with her and being very sweet. Makes us happy that there is someone taking care of her that we can trust.

Anyone feel free to add me/message me if you have any questions.

My goals are to be able to do a straight pull up without any bands to help me!

Replies

• meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to be able to do CrossFit but the one place in my area is 180.00 a month....WAY WAY WAY out of the budget. Why does it have to be so friggin' expensive? I get unlimited classes at my fitness studio for 50.00 a month..
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I agree, the price is high. We get a 10 percent discount for being a couple. It comes out to be 95 a month I think for 3 days a week.

We have basically cut costs in other areas of our life, like eating out and making sure we plan our meals out.
  • jmcross1980
    Options
    My hand is messed up! Had a lot of fun doing it though.
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love crossfit! I go for free because my parents both go. ;)
  • kbh17
    kbh17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I start CrossFit on Saturday! I bought a Living Social Deal that was 12 classes for $29. So excited to start. Can you already see changes in your body? I am 11 pounds from my goal and am hoping by incorporating CrossFit into my workouts it will help me get there!

Would love to hear how CrossFit has helped with everyone's weight loss or toning!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Check out these two videos on grip to prevent from tearing up your hands. First one is the likely culprit on the pull-ups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_JT85UDp0
  • jmcross1980
    Options
    I didn't even feel it and know it happened. I did 7 kipping pull ups and when I was walking to the box jumps I glanced at my hand and saw the mess I made. lol
  • jmcross1980
    Options
    KBH17, My wife and I love it! We are currently going through a 2 week class called Elements that teaches all of the techniques and lingo they use.

The workouts are difficult and don't last very long since the intensity is so high.

I can tell you we feel every muscle in our body...but it's great and know we are getting the most out of it.

Jared
  • SRS1226
    SRS1226 Posts: 37
    Options
    I just started CrossFit this week--my local gym offered a Check Us Out Session (3 free sessions) and I adored it. It's very high intensity and but the rush you get from completing a workout is incredible!

Everyone has been very friendly and accommodating; which is definitely nice when you are new to a workout.

I would love to hear more about your experiences and your favorite workouts (and least favorite workouts) thus far :smile:
  • ElviraCross
    Options
    I just started CrossFit this week--my local gym offered a Check Us Out Session (3 free sessions) and I adored it. It's very high intensity and but the rush you get from completing a workout is incredible!

Everyone has been very friendly and accommodating; which is definitely nice when you are new to a workout.

I would love to hear more about your experiences and your favorite workouts (and least favorite workouts) thus far :smile:

so far I've been more proud of myself for being able to do the dead lifts and just not quitting.

The first day I got really sick the entire day and had to go get my eyes checked because I was so dizzy and blurry. I think it was a huge shock to my system and I needed more food and water than I had. We have been going bright and early but I've been making sure to get up to eat and make myself an isotonic drink.

Every time I need a few seconds to breathe the trainers make me feel good about how much work I'm putting in and don't make me feel bad for being so tired. I love that!
  • kbh17
    Options
    What should I expect in my first class? Just curious as I workout 6 days/week and don't know if I should do some cardio before my beginner class. A class that I take every Wed. is taught by a CrossFit instructor, it's not CrossFit but I know she teaches in the same manner. I am pretty well conditioned so I really want a hard workout but not sure if my first will be that hard.

Thanks...
  • ElviraCross
    Options
    What should I expect in my first class? Just curious as I workout 6 days/week and don't know if I should do some cardio before my beginner class. A class that I take every Wed. is taught by a CrossFit instructor, it's not CrossFit but I know she teaches in the same manner. I am pretty well conditioned so I really want a hard workout but not sure if my first will be that hard.

Thanks...

The very first thing we did was run about 500 feet to warm up.

We worked on squats and kettle bell swings and practice the right technique. When everyone had them down then we did our workout. It was 8 minutes long.

It crushed me!!! I was exhausted and had to take a few breaks.

They set a medicine ball on one end of the gym and a kettle bell on the other. You had to do 8 squats and touch your butt to the ball, then run to the kettle bell, run back to the ball, run back to the kettle bell. Do 8 kettle bell swings, run back to the ball. Repeat.

Honestly I thought I was going to die, my cardio sucks!! I think you will do fine since you are already doing something physical. This is literally my first high intensity workout EVER!

You'll do great!
  • kbh17
    Options
    Thank you! So excited to start tomorrow!
  • kbh17
    Options
    Just did my first CrossFit class and LOVED it!! Thankfully everything that I have done, Insanity, running and all of the strength classes I take, prepared me for the class. Didn't stop once! Can't wait to go back on Tuesday!
  • jmcross1980
    Options
    Yeah, My wife and I love it!
  • musicmanomar
    Options
    Love Crossfit!