Why does weight loss slow down when lifting?

Options
I've read that building muscle is impossible on a calorie deficit (for the average person). So why is it that my weight loss has slowed down since I started lifting? I was losing on average 2lb per week, but the last 2 weeks I've lost 2lbs in total. Is this normal? I'm not losing weight to a deadline that is unacheivable, I've lost 47lbs since February and I want to lose the rest of my weight (41lbs) by next summer. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right!

Replies

• marthathebear
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    How do you figure muscle weighs more than fat? Muscle is denser, and more compact, but a lb is a lb.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. However, muscle is denser than fat, so you can seem smaller, but weigh more than someone who has more body fat than you. Muscle takes up less space than fat. I recommend taking your measurements, like your neck, waist, hips, etc, and also track your progress that way.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

^^^^This. I also wouldn't pay attention to the scale. Use body fat as a guide and how your clothes fit. Much more accurate picture IMO.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    How do you figure muscle weighs more than fat? Muscle is denser, and more compact, but a lb is a lb.
    Lol, thank you! I've been telling people this all day!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Not to worry, you're doing great
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options

True. Perhaps you are just building muscle while losing the fat? Do your clothes feel different? Do you have more stamina? Don't just go by the scale, take measurements and observe what you are wearing.

Either way congratulations on the loss!
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options

^^^^This. I also wouldn't pay attention to the scale. Use body fat as a guide and how your clothes fit. Much more accurate picture IMO.

This
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Are you running or other cardio ? Weight lifting is supposed to speed up your metabolism, but if you are doing lifting in place of cardio, that might explain it!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    a pound is a pound. Muscle weighs the same as fat, it just takes up less space.

BUT when strength training, your muscles retain a lot of water, which could make it look like your weight loss is slowing.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting makes your muscles hold onto extra water to help repair themselves.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You may not be adding muscle when you are strength training, but when you work your muscles they tend to retain water - which affects your weight.

I'm not an expert, but there are a number of great articles focusing on it. STOP looking at the scale, and take measurements. It is more accurate.

Besides, you still lost a pound. Be proud of yourself!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    pound is a pound

the body will retain some water but it will come off don`t pannic :)
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Let the mirror, Tape measure be your scale. Once you start lifting, in my opinion, Your mindset needs to change from weight loss to body composition.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    1 pound loss per week is still very good.

It usually takes several weeks for a woman to gain a pound of muscle. It's not something that happens this quickly. You're likely retaining a bit more water as your body tries to heal the muscle damaged during strength training. This damage is NOT a bad thing. The process is needed for them to grow.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You also retain quite a bit of water when lifting because your muscles use it for healing. You won't see large losses while you're lifting, but when you take a break from it and your muscles release that water, you'll see it. And you won't necessarily build muscle on a deficit, but you will maintain it when lifting so you will only be losing fat and not muscle, hopefully. Ditch the scale and go with measurements. Good luck!
  • Cllinna
    Cllinna Posts: 4
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, but if you lose 1lb of fat and gain 1lb of muscle from lifting the scale will show you lost 0lbs. It's that simple. I would measure your waist or trouble areas to see if you are going down in inches, not weight.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    First off, muscles retain water to help repair when you lift. If you're feeling any soreness or stiffness, that's inflammation and inflammation is fluid retention.

Secondly, as you get closer to your goal, your weight loss will naturally slow. You may not have enough excess body fat to support a two pound a week loss any more... at this point, you're probably better off switching to lose one pound a week.

That's what happened to me. I had it set for two pounds a week, but typically only lost one pound. So I switched to one pound a week, was able to eat a little bit more and felt better, and kept losing one pound a week.

Third, when you're not lifting, you risk losing more muscle mass. Since muscle by volume is heavier, you're going to see a bigger drop on the scale if you're losing muscle AND fat than if you're just losing fat. Keeping muscle is the main goal in lifting, and by doing that, you'll likely reach your goal body before you reach your goal number on the scale.
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Please don't be worried. At the beginning of the summer I weight 192 pounds, but wasn't lifting much. I was losing weight, but my body was hardly changing. Perhaps it was getting smaller, but not more "athletic."

Now, over two months later I weigh 189, but I am almost 2 sizes smaller. My body has completely changed, and so many more people have noticed. They ask if I have lost weight, but I am only down 3 pounds.

I hate that I weigh 189 pounds, but at the same time..who cares what the scale says if I look and feel better!
  • Cllinna
    Cllinna Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the info!