Why does weight loss slow down when lifting?

Options

Replies

• Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Let the mirror, Tape measure be your scale. Once you start lifting, in my opinion, Your mindset needs to change from weight loss to body composition.

what he said
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Before lifting if you were doing a lot of cardio, you were probably burning muscle as well as fat. I'm a true believer that you need to have a balance of strength training and cardio. Strength training will help you keep off the weight in the long run as muscle burn more calories when your sedative. I've yo-yo'd up and down with weight loss until I found the proper balance. I can lose weight easily by doing a lot of cardio, but gain it back easily as well. Plus I'd rather weigh a 180lbs and be built like a brick **** house, than be a 150lbs of bones and skin. I don't care what the scale says anymore. I care more about my measurements.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've read that building muscle is impossible on a calorie deficit (for the average person). So why is it that my weight loss has slowed down since I started lifting? I was losing on average 2lb per week, but the last 2 weeks I've lost 2lbs in total. Is this normal? I'm not losing weight to a deadline that is unacheivable, I've lost 47lbs since February and I want to lose the rest of my weight (41lbs) by next summer. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right!

2lbs in 2 weeks? That sounds great to me! 1 lb a week is a healthy, recommended loss. I'd start measuring yourself every 2 weeks to a month since your weight lifting. The scale doesn't accurately portray what you've lost.
  • mdmcmillen
    mdmcmillen Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me this week. I hit the weights hard and gained 3 pounds. Kind of freaked me out but I know i'm not over eating so i'm just going to keep at it and ignore the scale.
  • LisaKunz
    LisaKunz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this, too. Was losing consistently, both inches and pounds until I added lifting to my workouts (which always include some amount of cardio). Now I've stalled in both. I'm getting stronger - I can lift more than when I started, but my weight & measurements have plateaued. It's been a month...so hard to not be discouraged.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    OMG - If the trolls start on the a pound is a pound again I'm deleting my account
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    First off, muscles retain water to help repair when you lift. If you're feeling any soreness or stiffness, that's inflammation and inflammation is fluid retention.

Secondly, as you get closer to your goal, your weight loss will naturally slow. You may not have enough excess body fat to support a two pound a week loss any more... at this point, you're probably better off switching to lose one pound a week.

That's what happened to me. I had it set for two pounds a week, but typically only lost one pound. So I switched to one pound a week, was able to eat a little bit more and felt better, and kept losing one pound a week.

Third, when you're not lifting, you risk losing more muscle mass. Since muscle by volume is heavier, you're going to see a bigger drop on the scale if you're losing muscle AND fat than if you're just losing fat. Keeping muscle is the main goal in lifting, and by doing that, you'll likely reach your goal body before you reach your goal number on the scale.

All excellent information! I think you are right on track!
  • Ebwash89
    Ebwash89 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Fluid retention when muscles are repairing and you could be building muscle. Muscle is denser than fat.
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    Weight lifting makes your muscles hold onto extra water to help repair themselves.

^^^ This. #1 you are gaining muscle #2 your body needs to hold onto water to repair and build your muscles.

I know it's frustrating, but in the end you will be healthier and that muscle will help you lose weight.

Since it's beneficial to change things up once in a while, after doing a good round of strength training and cardio....giving it proper time and attention, perhaps taking time off weights and go to cardio and interval training. That should help speed up the 'fat' loss. However, you are doing very well and I wouldn't worry too much. fat % is much more important than weight loss. Either way you are getting stronger and healthier.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Here's why, when you start lifting you retain water. When you are breaking down & rebuilding muscle the tissues retain fluids to help repair it. And, when you start building new muscle it raises your metabolic rate slightly. The more you build the more you will burn fat. At first I stopped losing weight & gained it. But my size was shrinking. Muscle and fat weigh the same, but they are different in size. What is happening is you are trading fat for muscle. Some of that fat may be the visceral fat that is internal, and yes you want that gone too. But keep lifting, and don't forget cardio to boost that fat burning.

But a pound is a pound, so no muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It is more dense, and it takes up a quarter of what the same weight in fat does. Fat is squishy and blobby, muscle is tight and condensed. Google 5 pounds of fat and muscle in photos and see what I mean. Good luck with your training!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    There's a few reasons why....yusually when you start lifting you shouldn't be in such a huge calorie deficit, so there's that, also you do gain some from muscles holding onto water.
    Throw out your scale!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    How do you figure muscle weighs more than fat? Muscle is denser, and more compact, but a lb is a lb.
    Lol, thank you! I've been telling people this all day!

So if someone says "a bowling ball weighs more than a feather, you go around saying "NO YOU"RE WRONG!!!!, a pound of feathers is is the same weight as a pound of bowling balls"

To the OP, the reason why it slows down, is due to inflammation of the muscles.Causes water retention. Also your muscles are in use, they might try to hold on to more carbs(glycogen) which also weighs you down.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend running around telling people your newly discovered troll science either. They probably think you're mildly retarded if you can't understand the statement "muscle weighs more than fat".
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I agree with posters advising to toss the scale! Eat right and keep lifting. You'll get there!! In my profile I have a before after shot of a THREE pound difference yet I went down an average of three sizes! Building muscle not only lowers body fat but I get to EAT MORE hahaha :drinker:
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    a pound is a pound. Muscle weighs the same as fat, it just takes up less space.

BUT when strength training, your muscles retain a lot of water, which could make it look like your weight loss is slowing.

^this

Measurements and/or body fat calculations are a better indication of success than body weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How do you figure muscle weighs more than fat? Muscle is denser, and more compact, but a lb is a lb.
    Lol, thank you! I've been telling people this all day!

This has got to be some sort of world record for hijacking. Just stop.

For the OP, weight loss will slow down but fat loss will speed up. It's a win. You'll be looking better and wearing smaller sizes while the scale barely moves. Trust us, you will be happy with how you look.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    OMG - If the trolls start on the a pound is a pound again I'm deleting my account

May as well do it then....muscle does NOT weigh more than fat
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry but you arent packing on pounds and pounds of muscle

weight loss is slower because of water retention and needing to eat more calories. if i didnt weight lift i could easily eat much less calories than i currently do and lose faster, but i need those extra calories to help recovery
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I think I am in the same boat. Should I lower calories more to keep losing at the same rate? Still have plenty of BF to lose.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: bump
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It took me two weeks after I started lifting before the scale went back down (it actually went up a couple pounds for me!) It's pretty much the water retention in the muscles. Keep lifting and drink plenty of water, and it'll catch up again soon.