Zumba concerns

Options
Swissmiss
Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
I heard on the news this morning that Zumba is sending people to the emergency rooms. Something about twisting the hips and knees while dancing. Does anyone have more information on this?

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I ran a check using google... Washington Post had a pretty good article about it.

And there were plenty of clickable articles unfortunately...
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Don't think this will ever stop me Zumba-ing though. Never really thought I'd be someone who could ever get a "sporting" injury - how times have changed ! :bigsmile:
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I read some article a few months ago. It did make me laugh I'm afraid. I love zumba and it won't stop me.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is an issue with the uncoordinated only?
  • lee1205
    lee1205 Posts: 11
    Options
    I love Zumba! Guess people have to know their limits. My Zumba instructor tries to show modified versions of the steps.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    And runners twist ankles, lifters pull muscles, and in extreme circumstances swimmers have even drown! If you're looking for a completely safe physical activity, you'll be looking for a while. Do what you enjoy doing and in the unlikely event that you get hurt, take a few days off and put ice on it. It's the nature of asking the body to do new things, sometimes you get hurt a bit. I seriously doubt anyone has ever gotten a permanent life changing injury from Zumba.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is an issue with the uncoordinated only?

I did Zumba for two years and will be taking it again this fall. Yes, I am uncoordinated and have been close to falling. But, as drgndancer says...you can get hurt doing anything. I have fallen at work and broken my shoulder. I wasn't dancing at that time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    I broke my foot stepping off the six inch curb in front of my house.