BMR vs. recommended calories

Options
Cindy393
Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
I was logging my daily food/calories into another website. There is a huge debate going on about whether you should eat calories recommended by that site, vs. eating your recommended bmr calories. It's all so confusing, but my bmr is telling me to eat 1692 calories a day. That's just too many! My recommended is 1371. To me that's more like it.

Am I putting my body into starvation mode eating my recommended vs. bmr?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• styefeto
    styefeto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where the estimate of your BMR is coming from... because any estimate uses its own formula for calculating... so I think you just have to figure out which one is more accurate for you. just my $0.02.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Your BMR has nothing to do with your daily intake.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The general guideline I give to people for weight loss is:

1. Calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate - the amount of energy your body uses for basic processes like digestion and respiration)
    2. Calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure - the total amount of energy your body uses in a day)
    3. Calculate your fat mass (body weight x fat%)
    4. Multiply fat mass by 22 to find your maximum daily calorie deficit (MDCD).
    5. Subtract your MDCD from your TDEE, if that is higher than BMR then eat that many calories per day. If it is lower than your BMR, eat at your BMR and add exercise to create the proper deficit.
    6. Redo this calculation after every 5 lbs of fat loss.

Also: lift weights and lift heavy using a proven program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts. It's by far the most effective exercise you can do for improving your body composition (i.e. losing fat while maintaining muscle).
  • kittyoates
    Options
    That calculation puts me at less than half of my BMR. My BMR is higher than the calorie allowance this site gives me, I lost 13 Lbs and seem to be at a plateau, even though I've continued to exercise. I'm really frustrated, and part of me thinks I should be eating more but I can't decide.
  • kaervaak
    Options
    Can you tell me your height, weight, age, bodyfat % and how much exercise you get in a typical day? That would help me understand your situation a little better.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    BMR + 20% as a starting point. Do that for a month and see what happens, then tweak.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, 228 lbs and 5'5". My BMI comes in at 38%.
  • kaervaak
    Options

Your BMR is 1682, if you're lightly active then your TDEE is around 2300 calories. If you eat 1800 calories per day then you should lose about a pound a week and this should be sustainable for a long time.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    This is the calculator that was recommended to me and that I use.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I started off eating 1,200 to 1,700 calories per day, I'm now eating much more. I'm still losing weight, and I feel great and energized.

Also, remember, that eating clean is super important as well.

Best of luck to ya.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

You will not go into starvation mode on 1360 (or whatever you said) calories per day, as long as that is net calories (you eat more when you exercise). If you figure you BMR at your ideal weight, it will likely be as low or lower than that. At 50 your metabolism is going to be naturally slower than a younger person so you don't want to eat as much as a younger person.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

1. Calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate - the amount of energy your body uses for basic processes like digestion and respiration)
    2. Calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure - the total amount of energy your body uses in a day)
    5. Subtract your MDCD from your TDEE, if that is higher than BMR then eat that many calories per day. If it is lower than your BMR, eat at your BMR and add exercise to create the proper deficit.

1. BMR is: 1,647
    2. TDEE is: 2619 - ( 1 walk to work about 30 min 5 times a week)
    3. 6300 (estimating 30% fat - though I think it's more)
    4. MDCD = 660
    5. 1959

I thought I was eating too little at 1200 but that's what MFP said. I normally get about 1400 - 1600 when I add my exercise in but 1959 seems WAY high...

I am feeling rather worn out this past week. Hard to get up out of bed and just lacking energy. I think I will try to pack some extra cals in the next few days and up my base a couple hundred next week.. I am really worried to go all the way to 1900.. thoughts?
  • a_stone_girl_dances
    a_stone_girl_dances Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is the calculator that was recommended to me and that I use.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I started off eating 1,200 to 1,700 calories per day, I'm now eating much more. I'm still losing weight, and I feel great and energized.

Also, remember, that eating clean is super important as well.

Best of luck to ya.

This is really cool, thanks for sharing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

1. BMR is: 1,647
    2. TDEE is: 2619 - ( 1 walk to work about 30 min 5 times a week)
    3. 6300 (estimating 30% fat - though I think it's more)
    4. MDCD = 660
    5. 1959

I thought I was eating too little at 1200 but that's what MFP said. I normally get about 1400 - 1600 when I add my exercise in but 1959 seems WAY high...

I am feeling rather worn out this past week. Hard to get up out of bed and just lacking energy. I think I will try to pack some extra cals in the next few days and up my base a couple hundred next week.. I am really worried to go all the way to 1900.. thoughts?

There isnt anything to be scared of. 1900 calories is not that much in all reality. I have created plans for over 200 people and the majority fall between 1800-2200 calories. Many of the 5'2" and 150 with working out 5 days a week. Calories equal fuel. When you have enough fuel your body can burn more and you can workout harder.
  • kaervaak
    Options
    If you've been eating at 1400 cal/day for a long time, you probably shouldn't jump up 500 cal/day right away. Go up 100-200 calories/day every 2 weeks and see how you feel. Make sure you give your body time to adjust to anything new before deciding whether it is a positive or negative change.
  • NesianStyle
    Options
    According to http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

My bmr is 3132 calories a day, it's then suggested to lose weight I would reduce it by 500 calories a day which would end up 2632 calories a day. MFP suggests 1890 calories a day, which would I stick to??
  • karenlavinia
    karenlavinia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh my. This is making my head hurt. LOL While all of this is a great tool, that's really all it is, a tool. We are not carbon copies of each other. There is nothing wrong with using formulas, but don't throw your common sense out the window. Those of us who have been dieting on and off for years, have a pretty good idea how many calories we need to consume to lose weight. By MFP's estimate, I should have 1,200 calories a day. But for me, I know that's too low. I get tired, dizzy, and have zero energy on 1,200 cals a day. But up it just a few hundred cals to 1,400 and I feel so much better and I lose weight. So, my advice is to use these things as tools but realize you know your body better than any formula does. Just my 2-cents. ~KL
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Oh my. This is making my head hurt. LOL While all of this is a great tool, that's really all it is, a tool. We are not carbon copies of each other. There is nothing wrong with using formulas, but don't throw your common sense out the window. Those of us who have been dieting on and off for years, have a pretty good idea how many calories we need to consume to lose weight. By MFP's estimate, I should have 1,200 calories a day. But for me, I know that's too low. I get tired, dizzy, and have zero energy on 1,200 cals a day. But up it just a few hundred cals to 1,400 and I feel so much better and I lose weight. So, my advice is to use these things as tools but realize you know your body better than any formula does. Just my 2-cents. ~KL

And here is what i would say to that and something to think about... maybe dieting is your issue. Because if you did it right the first time and established a healthy lifestyle you may have not had to start to diet again. Maybe if you had a less aggressive goal or developed habits around fitness it may have not been years of up and down dieting. And i get it, life gets in the way at times and so does ones health issues or even family problems.

Now i will say, with my journey i have and continue to spend less and less time on "losing weight" and spend more time on improving the small things while maintaining a 2600-3000 calorie diet. I look to improve the intensity of my workouts or increase the reps/weight i lift. I look to cut out a specific unhealthy food each week or month while still maintaining. For example, i cut out subway and chickfila and in fact recently went paleo. With this technique i have continuously lost fat but maintained my lbm.

And i do realize this might nit work for everyone but i can tell you, i see way too many people fail with 1200 calories and much more successful at 1600-2000 when active. Something to think about. Also, what you think is common sense i see it the complete opposite. My common sense says feed the body like an athlete, training like an althete and look like an athlete and athletes fuel their bodies with a lot of food.
  • mandyw30
    mandyw30 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Confused.com!
    I was just reading another post on here that said you should never eat below you BMR.
    I just calculated my BMR using several websites and came out with results between 2000-2100 calories. WIth a TDEE around 2800. Therefore does this mean I should be eating 2000-2300 calories a day? (500 deficit a day)
    I'm confused because MFP has me set at around 1800.
    Searched for some more posts on BMR and came across this one so hoping it would shed some light!!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Confused.com!
    I was just reading another post on here that said you should never eat below you BMR.
    I just calculated my BMR using several websites and came out with results between 2000-2100 calories. WIth a TDEE around 2800. Therefore does this mean I should be eating 2000-2300 calories a day? (500 deficit a day)
    Searched for some more posts on BMR and came across this one so hoping it would shed some light!!

There are no studies that say you cant eat below your bmr. A good piece of advice is to eat 20% below your tdee and ensure you do cardio and weight training. WT can help maintain your lean body mass during your weight loss journey.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Confused.com!

It's all about context...

The more over weight you are, the safer (for lack of a better word) it is to eat below your BMR. Someone with 200lbs to lose can easily eat below the BMR with no ill effects. Someone with 5lbs to lose can't.