Favorite Oatmeal?

Options
fitinyoga14
fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
I need to add some healthy, filling carbs to my diet so I decided that i will try oatmeal. I don't know much about it so I need some advice before I go out and buy it. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Is it only a good choice for breakfast or can I use it with other meals?

What are your guys' favorite brands/kind/flavors?

How do you think its best prepared?

Any good recipes to make oatmeal into a meal?

Replies

• kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It is funny that u posted this topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i was thinking the same thing and infact I bought just plain quacker oats oatmeal...........stay away from quick oats.
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    It is funny that u posted this topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i was thinking the same thing and infact I bought just plain quacker oats oatmeal...........stay away from quick oats.

opps
    why "stay away" from quick oats?
    i am trying to be good!!!!!!:cry::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • Nikki_Z
    Nikki_Z Posts: 28
    Options
    I found this recipe somewhere. If I could remember, I'd give them credit.

Power Oatmeal

1 serving of your favourite brand of natural oatmeal
    1 sliced banana (I keep mine pretty chunky)
    1 scoop of vanilla or natural protein power
    1 Tbsp almond butter
    Cinnamon to taste

I eat this on the morning of all my races. I keeps me full and gives me enough fuel to get through whatever I have to do. I also sometimes eat this for an afternoon snack if I'm heading for a workout.
  • smileydays
    smileydays Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I only eat organic oatmeal by Country Choice. My mom introduced it to me when she picked it up at Trader Joes one day. It has like wheat, barley, oats and 2 other grains.
    1/3 of a cup suffices for me. I prepare it in 2/3 cup of water and I usually mix splenda with it because the taste is a little bland. I usually eat this with 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 1/2 of a fruit. Sometimes a glass of milk.

When I am super hungry, I make 1/2 cup in 3/4 cup of milk and I add 1/2 of a banana mashed with a little pure vanilla extract and crushed walnuts or I make 1/2 cup in 1 cup of water and add about 2 tbsp of cranberries and 1 tbsp of sunflower seeds (and splenda). These are both SUPER yummy! :)

I hope this helps. It comes in a cylindrical container that's red with a red top. Yum.
  • lfischer
    lfischer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I cook 1/3 quaker old fashioned oats with 1/2 cup water and 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze. I add about a tablespoon of sugar free vanilla syrup (the kind for coffee), 1/3 cup frozen blueberries and nuke for 2 min on 70% power (watch to make sure it doesn't overflow). I usually cook it in tupperwear and then bring it to work (so it cooks a little longer on the drive) and it turns out perfect.

Other mix ins:

canned pumpkin, pecans, cinnamon, pumpkin pie seasoning and brown sugar - tastes like pumpkin pie :)

raisins/walnuts

Katheats has a ton of great concoctions:
    http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal/
  • northernmama705
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of the texture of oatmeal. However, I LOVE President's Choice Steel Cut Oatmeal. It is much chewier and has more of a brown rice texture to it. I make a batch and re-heat in the microwave for a few days. It takes longer to cook than traditional oatmeal but it does reheat really well.

I mix in some frozen blueberries and it is great!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut when I actually have the time to make them....ususally on the weekends. During the week, I use quick cook or the Old fashion style which ever I have on hand. I usually top with 1/4 skim milk and 1/4 sugar free syrup (it's the only kind I buy now and the kids even like it....have you ever seen how many calories are in the regular syrup?? good grief!) Ohh...And I add Ground or whole flax seed to the mix---gives a rather nutty flavor and it's good for you!
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I usually eat quick-cooking oatmeal (because it's quick), and some stuff I've tried adding that I liked include
    1. bananas (sometimes with a half tablespoon of peanut butter)
    2. apples and cinnamon
    3. raisins and cinnamon
    4. blueberries (or a mix of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
    I also plan to try microwaving in some sliced pear and cinnamon sometime.
    I also put oatmeal in hamburgers instead of bread crumbs; it makes the burgers really soft and moist.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I buy bulk organic oatmeal at the natural food store and eat it with applesauce.........I made a ton of applesauce (with the peel, no sugar added) in the fall from homegrown apples I got from a friend.....I have it as an evening snack almost every day.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • tearose
    tearose Posts: 94
    Options
    old fashioned oatmeal dried cranberries, walnuts, toasted pecans, & sliced banana & 2%
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I use Bob's Red Mill Organic Regular Rolled Oats about 1/4 cup (made with water), then I put 1 tsp of ground flaxseed, 1 tsp of wheat germ and 1 tsp on honey, sometimes I replace the honey with blueberries when I have on hand. I eat this along with scrambled egg whites in the morning... Very filling and healthy! :drinker:
  • gottagetitoff
    Options
    I like Quaker Oats Old Fashioned brand. 1/2 c oatmeal and 1 c water in microwave for 2 minutes. Then I add: splenda, cinnamon, walnuts,milk, raisins or any combination like that...so yummy and filling. Sometimes I add just splenda, milk, and sugar free jam for flavor but less calories. For a really sweet treat, make the first recipe and add some canned pumpkin, a little more splenda, and pumpkin pie spice ...YUM. Enjoy:
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I just buy the Publix Old Fashioned store brand in the tube. Like everyone else, I mix it with water and nuke for a minute.

Favorite things to add? Depends on the day. Usually, Iike mine with a dollop of milk and either almond or peanut butter (1 teaspoon). This gives me protein and a sweetener.

Sometimes, I will just eat it with a little milk, cinnamon, and Agave Syrup (even Walmart carries this super low glycemic syrup.....and I know you will not miss the regular syrup once you try it)
  • strungoutmom
    Options
    i just ran across this post. I have started eating oatmeal as soon as we got the first cold snap. Love oatmeal. I do Quaker Oatmeal, 1 cup of oats. 1.2 cup water. and nuke for about 2 minutes. i have even done it with milk as well.

I try and add fruit when i have it handy or nuts. I add just a tad of sugar usually brown and some syrup if its in the house lol.

so good and keeps me going till I have my break at 7am from wrk. My day starts at 3am. lol

I have even had it ready to make to take to wrk as well to eat with my break.

deana in texas
  • shespoke
    Options
    I eat organic oat groats. Groats are the basic oat grain that has not been altered by any processing. Groats have the highest nutritional value of any oats meal. Soak 1/3 cup of oat groats in water overnight. If you want add a couple of dates as a sweetener. In the morning drain and rinse the oats and dates, then put into a food processor. Add a banana, then process to a paste. Spoon into your breakfast plate, add 1 cup of berries, half a cup of yoghurt of your choice and breakfast is made. This meal fuels my workouts and I am training for a half ironman. Hope this gives you a couple more options.
  • pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Options
    Okay, I can answer this one! Quaker Old Fashionished oats. If you are using instant, compare the sodium. Instant regular has 180 grams of sodium. ugh! I also do the 1/2 cup with 1 cup water. and nuke it. I like to sprinkle a little cinnamin (sometimes) and sugar substitute (always) on top. I also have a serving of 2% milk with my breakfast and add a little to the oatmeal at the table.

I will also say, the little weight I have lost since signing back up with MFP (about 10 days ago) has been with this breakfast every morning.

Good luck, and happy eating!!
  • IdahoAmy
    Options
    I like to make steel cut oats on the delay/timer in my rice cooker. MMMmmm! I buy the Bob's Red Mill organic at Costco. :) I add a dash of salt and top with some blue agave sweetener.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm excited to go to the store next weekend ready to get some new ingredients. I didn't realize how versitile this meal really is.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think oatmeal tastes better when made on the stove, not a big fan of nuking it. It's a texture thing, but takes longer. I like cinnamon, a spoonful of real sugar, and a little nutmeg. With the cinnamon and nutmeg, you don't need much sugar, so I just use real.
  • jlgarcia85631
    jlgarcia85631 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've always bought the instant oatmeal brown sugar or apple cinnamon. Since dieting I've just relize the 13g of sugar in each pack. So as I am reading here lots of you suggest the Old Fashion Quaker Oats.... Is that the Quaker Quick Oats in the canisters usually found in the cereal section?? I have also head alot about steel cut oatmeal where do you find that...I have looked for it in the grocery store before but no luck.??