Help?

Options
Okay, I'm 282 lbs.

I set my goal of calories at 1400, I work out once a day before work and its usually 30 minutes of Stationary bike since its SO extremely hot outside. On my days off, it will probably be more exercise.

I was wondering if this is a reasonable amount of calories to do with my work-out schedule and how much I weigh. I'm not so great at the weight-loss thing and dieting just confuses me but this time I have to do this and I'm not letting being confused stop be.

So anybody with any input on this, please please please comment.

I'm just really ready to lose the weight, and if I can get it to come off faster the happier I'll be.

Replies

• freyamaclachlan
    Options
    You need to workout your BMR you can find online calculators for that, just type it into google. This will help you work out how many calories your burning each day without even exercising. Weight loss is simply calories in calories out, so to lose weight you just have to burn more calories than you are eating a day. One pound is around 3,500 calories so to lose a pound in a week you need to create a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose 2 pounds (which is recommended) you have to create a deficit of 7,000 calories and so on. Hope that helps you can message me if you need any clarification :)
  • crimiller
    crimiller Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There is a BMR calculator in the tools tap. My guess is you need more calories than that. I weight 162 and my BRM suggests 1400.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Honestly follow MFP.

1. Set up MFP using the settings MFP gives you. At your weight, 1.5lbs a week isn't bad weight loss.
    2. Go back and manually set goals so that protein is 25 to 30% of your diet and sodium is 2300mg.
    3. Log EVERYTHING you eat.
    4. Log your cardio exercises and eat back HALF those calories. This will leave a buffer to prevent over eating due to possible inaccuracies
    5. Pick up weight training to retain muscle during weight loss.
    6. Drink 8 cups of water a day and log them.

This should get you well on your way.