Sports Bra Shopping Nightmare!

Options
My normal bras just aren't cutting it. Well, they are... and that's the problem. I have been looking for a decent sports bra that has NO clasps at the back, as they dig in when I am doing floor workouts. I've had a look online and there are just so many I have NO clue what I am meant to be looking for. I'm a 34DD. Do I go for medium support as I'm not doing a lot of jumping around? Underwire, no underwire? It's all very confusing as I've never bought one before.

Suggestions and advice would be appreciated very much

Many thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'd say, go for the maximum support affordable. I'm a little over your size and even for low-impact stuff like riding a bike, life is SO MUCH more comfortable with less bounce.

It can be cheaper to get the tight fitting crop-tops used by joggers. I generally use a normal underwire bra with a cross-strap sports top over that.
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I like the Shock Absorber max support ones, I wouldn't use another brand now. You can get them online from Bravissimo or Brastop, or from House of Fraser. I have the Level 4 Impact one and I can literally jump and nothing moves at all! They have no underwire - I left on my everyday bra for a short run once and it ripped my skin to shreds, I never thought it made such a difference.

You can get ordinary ones for under clothes but I have the ones that can be worn as outerwear which look a bit nicer. I don't wear it on it's own but maybe one day my belly will be small enough for me to get away with it :laugh:
  • LadyAmy20
    LadyAmy20 Posts: 137
    Options
    I ended up with the shock absorber brand too Lis, got mine from debenhams! I think it was about £28 which is a lot for me but then all my bras cos that anyway. Seems to work well - there is a clasp at the back of mine but that's I'd I struggled to get into the ones without clasps haha :)
  • amandasilva
    amandasilva Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get one- you have a significant amount you want to lose- which means that they are going to shrink as well= keep them in place so as to save the skin- I'm a 38 DD and I use both a regular bra and my Nike cotton sports bra together- purchased at a fitness store called "****s Sporting Goods" for about $25/USD. Totally worth it for running and basic weights. You can find cheaper ones from time to time with online specials- but believe me- You will wonder how you did without it when you finally get one you love and use.

Edit: To add that get one like your normal bra- if you wear wires, then get one with them. If you need "cushioning" , get one with thick material. You'll be more comfortable with a sports bra that is close to your normal bra, just compressing and limits the bounce. And while looking online is ok- go to a store, try on as many as you can- and if you want to save money- go home knowing the size and style you want to buy- and look online to compare prices. Sometimes they are actually cheaper in store so that the stores can move inventory.
  • Meraid
    Meraid Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36DD and I ended up using multiple, aha. One black one hat's rather small, so I put this pink one from Zellars on and neither of them have clasps, They're just pull over and rather tight. Then I have a tank that's made for working out and it has a built in bra to it but combined I find they give me the least bounce. Almost none.
    There're no underwires, no padding.
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    behind_blue_eyes_83 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Marks and Spencer's! I don't think I've ever bought a normal bra anywhere else, but I didn't occur to me to get my sports bra there. I ended up with a no support, no wiring bra that was basically a crop top (fine for a smaller size, though, I'm sure). Then I went to M&S and bough an Extra High Impact Wired Sports Bra and I LOVE IT. It was around £30 if I remember correctly, but I'm thinking about going and buying another one as I can't work out in anything else now.

It's this one:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Extra-Impact-Underwired-Racer-Sports/dp/B004F3FJJA

Argh, except I see it says 'out of stock'! *runs to M&S*
  • LisAllum
    LisAllum Posts: 55
    Options
    It looks like a trip into town is on the cards for me today or tomorrow then! I am loving the idea of zero bounce (post children boob bounce is just awful! LOL). I've got a bruise on my back right where the clasp of my normal bra goes and it's very tender! And, I am worth the cost of a decent bra or two all in the name of getting fitter and healthier! Thank you ladies! You have been a fountain of information. I shall write them all down and have a really good look about! Mwah!
  • teally13
    teally13 Posts: 30
    Options
    My normal bras just aren't cutting it. Well, they are... and that's the problem. I have been looking for a decent sports bra that has NO clasps at the back, as they dig in when I am doing floor workouts. I've had a look online and there are just so many I have NO clue what I am meant to be looking for. I'm a 34DD. Do I go for medium support as I'm not doing a lot of jumping around? Underwire, no underwire? It's all very confusing as I've never bought one before.

Suggestions and advice would be appreciated very much

Many thanks! :flowerforyou:

I get mine from www.lessbounce.com and go for the shock absorber too but they have lots of choice there and great advice.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I use the Moving Comfort ones from City Sports...not the cheapest thing around but they're the only ones I like. No clasp, sometimes (maybe always?) have adjustable straps, many have wide straps and they're lined (I always look cold. that's an important one for me). I'm much smaller than you in that department but I have zero movement with them and I often see much larger chested women getting the same bras but with the thicker straps.

EDIT: Just realized you're not in the US and may not have City Sports but I'll leave this up in case anyone in the US is in the market for new bras :)
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    behind_blue_eyes_83 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to say - you can see in that picture, there is no clasp or anything on the back. It clips with flat little plastic hooks over your shoulder at the front. So you can do crunches or whatever no probs (my old bra had a broken metal hook and fastened at the back which always made crunches an interesting experience!)
  • SBHWeav
    SBHWeav Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Not trying to hijack, but I'm going to hijack:bigsmile:

What about for small chested ladies? I am 200 pounds and of course none of that could go to my damn boobs! I'm a 36AA. Yes, you read that right, AA. What kind of sports bra is best for smaller chests?
  • delorispiper
    Options
    Do I have the answer for you. Enell bras are awesome. You can go on line at www.enell.com - they fasten in the front. And your boobs aren't going anwhere in these bras. Love them, love them, love them. Be sure you follow their measuring guide. A little pricey, but so worth it. One caution - do not dry them. After you wash in washing machine, just hang them up. I dried some in the past and they seem to shrink a bit. Hope that helps.
  • brandilacey
    Options
    I just got one last week from Khols that I LOVE, it's a champion one. My more expensive one really hurt my shoulders, this one was $43 I think.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I'm a 38DD, and honestly, I have no problem with the cheapy hanes multipacks that come from Walmart. I just buy them in a 36 (they're the full support racerbacks, not those little spaghetti strap pieces of junk), and layer two, and I have no issue with bounce. I don't do an extreme amount of jumping, but the girls stay in place during high intensity zumba and 30DS. I too suffer from post baby chest, so I know how painful it can be.
  • stephgreene
    Options
    http://www.championusa.com/workout-clothes/sports-bras-43553--1/high-support-bras/-ch1050--1

Those are the bras I use. If there is a Champion Outlet near you, I HIGHLY suggest you go take a visit. I got something like 6 bras and 5 pairs of shorts for $70 because they were having a crazy good sale. The bras themselves are comfortable enough that sometimes I'll even sleep in them. They give enough support that I'm not flopping around and they're not constricting so I don't feel like I'm going to die. There's no underwire, but I find I don't need it with these sports bras because, as I said, there's more than enough support.