HRM suggestions

Options
I am looking into getting a HRM so that I can more accurately count my calories. I have been searching different websites to see which would be best. That has turned into a very difficult task. I want one that is fairly simple. I just want it to display my HR and have a calorie tracker. I want one that is a watch style but that I continuously monitors instead of having to place a finger on the display. My price range is around $50. Anyone have suggestions or specific HRMs that have worked well for you?

Thanks!

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    No watch style HRM's continuously monitor.. they all require that you touch them. If you want continuous monitoring then you need a strap and you need to spend more then 50 dollars.

Look at the Polar FT4 on amazon..It runs around 60,is a very basic HRM with a chest strap.
  • poppyloganriley
    poppyloganriley Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    No watch style HRM's continuously monitor.. they all require that you touch them. If you want continuous monitoring then you need a strap and you need to spend more then 50 dollars.

Look at the Polar FT4 on amazon..It runs around 60,is a very basic HRM with a chest strap.

Thanks for the info, I've been wondering too.
  • HardmanP
    HardmanP Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, she is so right, I had a watch one and it was crap!!! I made my husband take it back, and he got me the Polar FT7 and I just started using it today, but I am in LOVE!!
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

I agree. The FT4 is a great HRM for first-timers and exercise beginners (not that you are). The chest band is very comfortable. I put it under my sports bra and can hardly tell its there. It doesn't get in my way, it doesn't itch, and it doesn't flop around.

heartratemonitorsusa.com has them for good a price. I bought mine there for $65.

I might add that with the Polar monitors, you wear a watch that wireless connects with your chest band. It's really easy to use and understand, as well.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Polar FT4 for almost 2 months and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It does exactly what I need it to...counts calories, heart rate, and time and it stores my workouts so I can go back and add them in later. I think I spent $80 on mine, but I bought it from D*icks Sporting Goods and they can be a bit pricey. I just got too impatient to shop around!
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Polar either FT 4 or FT7
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar FT4 from bodytronics. com and paid $61.88 with free shipping :)
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    Polar FT4 or FT7 but both are above your price range.
  • EAnderson1205
    Options
    bump! Thanks for the info! I have been shopping around too and just haven't committed to a particular one yet!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    search_engine.png
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Anything from Suunto, Garmin or Polar will be good, just find one that is in your price range.
  • msleesha
    msleesha Posts: 39
    Options
    Polar FT4 (what I use) for FT7. Great watch, been having for about a year and no issues out of it at all! Good luck
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4! :)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I've always used Polar, with the strap. I've read that the watch styles are much too inconsistent. Amazon.com usually has reasonable prices for them.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    polar ft7 - spend a little more and get it. You will be glad you did.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    Be sure to check that the HRM you get has heart rate based calorie calculations. Just because the HRM tracks your HR doesn't automatically mean that it uses that info to calculate your calorie burn. Many of them use only your gender, age, body weight and length of time worked out to determine calorie burn.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    search_engine.png

That was helpful thanks.
  • RMCoffey
    RMCoffey Posts: 27
    Options
    :smile: I have an Epulse2 HRM. It straps on your forearm - not chest and I love it. Runs about $90 bucks on Amazon but it was well worth it
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT40 from heartratemonitorusa.com they have free shipping. I love mine! You definitely need a chest strap!