Multi-vitamins/other supplements

Options
Does taking a multi-vitamin really even do anything of help? What are some other natural, healthy things like vitamins, or supplements that you can take to help for weight loss or to help build muscle...or metabolism?

Thanks!

Replies

• yocando
    yocando Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Well, more for health and to support my body through a vigorous, active lifestyle and wanting my best chance at health, I use Rainbow Light's Advanced Nutritional System and Rainbow Light's Complete Nutritional System. They are full of many things that are excellent for you.... yes, they cost a bit more- to be sure.... I also use Vital Choice's Sockeye Salmon oil tablets- again, they are expensive. I have lots of health issues in my family, so I'm trying to twart disease and illness. D3 is also very good for you.
    I also take Royal Jelly tablets which are full of antioxidants.

I know- i sound like a walking pharmacy or someone who is a paranoid hypocondriac... but I lead an active lifestyle and seek energy and health. I am rarely ill and look younger than I am.
    I also take Alli to help me along my weight loss journey.
    When I lifted weights, I combine Raw Meal- (powder) with powdered Goat Milk and Water and some sweetener to provide a clean source of protein after lifting weights.

Everything I mention above I purchase online.

Hope this helps.
  • tocara
    tocara Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I use chromium to help regulate my blood sugar levels. I tend to have periods of real high cravings and this helps with that.

As I am not a coffee drinker, I also use green tea because it has some caffein in it that helps me wake up in the morning (also helps with metabolism of stuff in general.. which in turns helps with weightless)..

A good b complex vitamin to.

Cheers,
    Cara
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i take a garlic and cayenne pepper supplement--the garlic is supposed to help with your immune system and i think the cayenne pepper helps with metabolism.

ginger--helps with digestion; i've heard that it makes your system more efficient and you don't absorb all the icky stuf that makes ya' fat! haha, it also helps with an upset stomach.

cranberry and probiotic pills--i'm a woman so it's smart to take these ;)

wellness formula--all around immunity.

however i heard fish oil is supposedly good for weight loss but i've looked up a couple of things and read many different things. unfortunately there's no miracle supplement.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I use GNC's Active Women's Multivitamin with iron. It seems to work well and keeps me nourished. I take those in addition to fish oil, calcium with vitamin D, CLA, digestive enzymes, and a probiotic. The enzymes and the probiotic are lifesavers!

Muscle building? The best thing for that is eating and lifting weights. Supplements for it are things like protein powders.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I had been taking Alive™ for Women but they are horse pills and I just have a hard time swallowing them

I recently ordered a multi combined with a probiotic.... (chewable)

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-probiotic-multi-vitamin-1-billion-cfu-30-vegetarian-tablets-1

Im anemic ( 325mg 3 times a day) and am low on Vit D ( 50K once a week) , so I take the MEGA doses of those, as prescribed by my physician
  • louliz82
    louliz82 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have always taken a multivitamin. Someone at the gym told me to take fish oil every day to help with weightloss. Have lost weight on other diets before but have done mfp and taken fish oil every day for a week and lost 3lb. It's my biggest weekly loss ever- not sure whether it's mfp or the fish oil- possibly a combination of both.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you can, it is far better to get your nutrition through your food intake. However, this is often times difficult to achieve.

A general multivitamin may be suitable for your needs if you have across the board deficiencies in various nutrients and minerals. Many doctors also suggest slim fast due to it's significantly packed nutrients. MY 100lb mother for example, was told by her doctor to drink 1 a day for a while to up her nutrient intake.

If you find yourself lacking in one or two nutrients commonly, you may want to investigate new food choices to add to your diet that will bring those that are lacking in line. Otherwise you may need to take a supplement that covers that particular deficiency.

Supplements are not regulated by the FDA or any other governmental health agency. Be cautious purchasing them because they are NOT required by law to actually contain what they say they contain, and are also not required by law to NOT contain what they say they don't contain. (So a vitamin C supplement that says 100% vitamin C and nothing else could legally be 50% vitamin C and 50% horse poop)

There are several independent organizations that inspect supplements and will allow their logo placed on the container if they've inspected them and approved of them.
  • ohalyssaface
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great advice everyone :) I think I want to look into some probiotics and maybe some fish oil or B vitamins :)
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    ^also, i heard cinnamon is good for metabolism and hoodia is good to suppress hunger. i took hoodia when i did the master cleanse and it was good about keeping those pangs at bay. disclaimer: DO NOT DO THE CLEANSE! haha.