LADIES ONLY PLEASE!!!!

Options
Hey Ladies!!

I have noticed this past week that I did not lose as much weight a I anticipated. Due to this really being my first time dieting I was a little curious. Can our menstrual cycle stop the weight loss process just for the time that you are on? I felt like I worked a little bit harder this week but was a little let down for my weigh in this morning.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. We tend to retain water during our time of the month. Some women can show a 5+ pound increase! But it should all disappear a few days after your period ends. Best thing is to track it and see how your body reacts so that you can anticipate it.
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes! I gain like 7lbs each month:grumble:
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    yes definitely, i usually feel huge and put on a couple of pounds that go away again a day or two afterwards. i know everyones different but i try to avoid carbs especially pasta during time of month and that helps x
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I often gain up to 5 lbs! Boo Hiss
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    peeking.gif
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Same kind of issue for me plus the added bonus of feeling a little tired too. :grumble:
  • roxie0920
    Options
    It happens to a lot of us. Exercise really helps. If I don't exercise, I gain about 4 lbs overnight and it goes down slowly over 4-5 days. If I do exercise, then it's only 1 or 2 lbs and it is gone in 3 days max.
  • Smithslivingclean
    Smithslivingclean Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I need some help...I am 5'2 and 143 pounds. I seem to fluctuate from 140 to 143 and cannot get below 140. By goal weight is 135 or 130. I eat really healthy like vegetables, fruit and all that good stuff...and then of course the ocassional sweets (esp around my period) but I usually do well staying under my calorie goal and/or maintain 1800. I exercise including yoga and am a pretty active gal. Please help me and give me some solid suggestions on what I should do. Thanks!
  • Becky0582
    Options
    Yes, I've been known to gain as much as 7 lbs during TOM!!! But I have found that exercise will help with cramps and drinking lots of water will help you feel less bloated! This last TOM I actually lost 1.2 lbs! Don't get discouraged, you will probably show a huge loss next week! :)
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yup! It took me a couple weigh ins to realize this. I retained 5 pounds which thankfully went away a week later with my next weigh in.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's very normal. I tend to be pleased if I can simply maintain during that time of the month. You retain lots of water, which is why you can feel so bloated.
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    Thanks for this input. It's made me feel a little better.
  • shrinkINme88
    Options
    I worked out hard this week!! I didn't gain anything I actually loss 1.2 lbs but I was expecting a lil more b/c last week I was down 5.6 lbs!! I usually never feel bloated, but now I know to skip the scale that week!! :noway: I also noticed that I wasn't cramping as badly as I usually do, maybe that due to switching my diet and upping my water intake by 10?? :huh:
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I worked out hard this week!! I didn't gain anything I actually loss 1.2 lbs but I was expecting a lil more b/c last week I was down 5.6 lbs!! I usually never feel bloated, but now I know to skip the scale that week!! :noway: I also noticed that I wasn't cramping as badly as I usually do, maybe that due to switching my diet and upping my water intake by 10?? :huh:

I've not been pre menstrual at all this month! Bonus, proves again and again diet helps!
  • Aimeebird1
    Aimeebird1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    peeking.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAA
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    TOM (time of month) has a lot to do with your lack of weight loss even though you were trying. Water retention is huge during TOM. What I do to help this out is drink tons of water...like I am talking like 80 oz of water a day when TOM is here. That way you are peeing more which helps me offset some of the water weight that I have packed on because of TOM
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yea I gain about 5lbs when its TOM, I never weigh myself on the week that I'm on because I know the scale will jump up!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Breathe. TOM, water retention from sodium intake, water retention from muscle repair, etc. all can affect that number.
  • LadyAshes
    LadyAshes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ya just weighed myself this morning and am up about 4 lbs. :S
  • lleabrooks
    lleabrooks Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    yep... I gain anywhere from 4-7 pounds in the week leading up to my time of month and I eat like a hog! As soon as I start - the weight falls off and my appetite goes back to normal... almost immediately. Interesting to hear other ladies have those issues "during" Flo's visit. I don't record my weight at all during this time.