Weightloss Plateau

Options
So MFP has been working great for me so far, I stopped eating so much processed foods and replace 90% of my diet it rawer and more natural foods (no, I don't mean I went to the grocery store and grabbed everything that said organic lol!) I started at about 218 ibs and the weight was just falling off, I was losing half a pound a day. It was so nice though very difficult to meet my calorie goal at first. After losing a few pounds my calorie goal went from 1500 to 1390, and it is now much easier for me to meet a lower goal, but it seems that ever since that happened my weightloss completely stopped and started fluctuating between 211 and 213! Was the rapid weight loss result of detoxing from crappy foods? Another weird thing, I weighed 211 this morning (I always weigh myself 3 times at a time to make sure the number is accurate) and then weighed myself again about an hour later and I was 212.4 before I ever ate anything! According to my daily nutritional intake I've been getting a bit too much sugar, by maybe 20 grams, I still had numbers over in sugars while I was still losing the weight. Any advice on what I need to change to continue losing weight would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    similar situation looking for advice also...
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Probably from reducing your calories. You need to go back up to 1500's probably...
  • snailey
    snailey Posts: 4
    Options
    I am just going by what the MFP app adjusts it to as I enter a lower weight. It is calculated by age, weight, and height. Or am I missing something that maybe this tool isn't very accurate?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am just going by what the MFP app adjusts it to as I enter a lower weight. It is calculated by age, weight, and height. Or am I missing something that maybe this tool isn't very accurate?
    It's based on what you tell it, and some estimations of how much energy you use. When you told it you weighed less it figured you used less calories and assuming you left the target loss rate the same it dropped your food goal accordingly.

The estimations can be out by 10% or more, and don't take account of how your body may react to eating less by using a bit less.

If you are stuck for 3 or 4 weeks at the same weight while eating and doing the same thing then it's time to try a change - like eating different stuff (how much protein per day, can you reduce carbs) or eating less for a couple of weeks or doing some interval exercise on every other day etc etc.
  • Cllinna
    Cllinna Posts: 4
    Options
    I think it is normal to eventually plateau at some point. Keep up the good work and don't give up. Your body may be reacting to the lower calories you switched to, and entered a form of starvation mode where it is now storing all calories you take in cause it fears starving. I would just increase your cals, continue eating healthy, maybe drop your carb intake, and exercise.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    That weight you had lost immediately was simply from filtering out the crap that was built up in your body. My body did the exact same thing in the first month of being on here (I lost about 17 lbs).

It was almost entirely water. Don't fret it and keep 'er goin. If you don't lose ANYTHING for the next month, then I would consider changing your game plan.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like this is very early in your losses, since you're saying you netted a max of 7 pounds of loss. At 1/2 lb a day, that means it's only been two weeks. Your body can take several weeks to let go of the initial water losses as it detoxifies itself. The sudden change to your diet probably triggered this, and now you're more used to it so it's going to take more work.
  • hollywoodguy99
    hollywoodguy99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    After college 14 years ago I counted calories and exercised my way from 255 to 201 in 7 months. There were definitely plateaus on the way. I eventually lost another 15 pounds and stayed at 185 for a couple of years.

Up your exercise and increase your protein intake. Only weigh yourself once a week and at the exact same time in the morning. Also make sure you are taking measurements of your waist, neck chest, thighs etc... and use those as a guide every month or so. Often you will add muscle and lose fat, which will lean you out, but that will not show up on the scale.

Normal healthy weight loss is 1 - 2 pounds a week. The first week is often times serious bloat that sheds when you quit overeating and drinking, which is why the weight loss seems so rapid.

Remember you are in it for the long haul.
  • snailey
    snailey Posts: 4
    Options
    I think you're right. I got so caught up in the time of rapid weight loss I forgot about the fact that 1-2 pounds is more normal for a week.

Thanks for your input, everyone! :)