Why Can't I See It?

Options
So, I've lost 122 lbs over the past 8 months, and I know that's a HUGE achievement, so I don't mean to downplay that at all, but...

...I get discouraged when I look in the mirror and still see the flab hanging from me, the oversized, mis-shapen belly and the general overall lumpiness. I look at all the before/during/after pics posted on here that show such a huge transformation, and I just get down-hearted. I want to look like a different person, instead I still look like a gummy lump.

Maybe it will come someday (when I hit my goal in another 130+ lbs, but for now, it's hard to stay focused when seeing such amazing progress of those around me here on MFP, yet I don't feel like any visible changes have been made.

OK, vent over. Thanks for all the support from my dear, dear, MFP friends. I couldn't keep moving down the road, were it not for you. You are my rock and my inspiration, thank you.

Replies

• MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I can understand how this can be! Do you have any BEFORE pictures of yourself to show you how far you have come!?!? It is a major accomplishment what you have done!! There are a lot of people who are not that strong to be able to lose 122 lbs, ESPECIALLY in 8 months!! You can do this and you WILL DO THIS!!! Keep moving for your health, your kids, your career, your LIFE!!! YOU GOT THIS!!!!!!!!

BE PROUD and keep moving...that day will come when you will feel like a totally different man and you will see it in the mirror.

find those pictures...I am sure you will see it!!! :)
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I can understand how this can be! Do you have any BEFORE pictures of yourself to show you how far you have come!?!?

THIS. Seriously, it's hard for those of us in it for the long haul to keep the newness alive after so many pounds lost because we think in our heads, "I should look amazing by now! I've lost over 100 pounds!!" Keep at it and, like Momma Kit said, find some before/after pictures and post them to remind yourself that things ARE moving, even if you don't always see it in the mirror (that dude is almost as mean as the scale, I promise you!).
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Adam, I just watched the web video you are in, you have made huge changes, you look so thin, if you did a capture off that and your profile pic , you would see a huge difference. Your awesome
  • DollHouseKiera
    Options
    It's a game our brain plays sometimes.... I'm down 170 lbs and my mirror still shows me the same 350lb woman that started this MFP thing. I am starting to see the difference in photos, but the mirror is still very mean. It takes a long time for our brains to catch up to all we've achieved.

Occasionally, my youngest son brings a pile of clean clothes to me and says "Mom, ummm... there aren't mine..." Apparently, I automatically think the smaller sized jeans must be the skinny kids'. Nope. They're mine. They just look so darn tiny, I'd never wear stuff THAT size.

Stoopid brain.

Hang in there. You have made great strides. Don't let the weirdness of perception put a damper on that. You have truly come very far!!
  • BrendaJaneK
    Options
    Adam, I wish I knew the right things to say to you but the reality is I have no idea what it's been like for you. So I won't pretend to understand completely.

What I think I can relate to is change. We've all been faced with change at some point in our lives and with how hard it is to make change, especially big ones. I listen to your story and I hear you tell me you've lost as much as I weight in only eight short months. I think that takes more guts and courage than I've ever had for anything I've ever done.

The road ahead must seem daunting at times but you made the decision eight months ago to have a better life. From what little I think I know, you've been walking with crutches. I can only presume that on your old path you were headed to a wheelchair soon... and worse.

Yes, your body shape might not be perfect when you are done but you are gaining your independence back, you will be able to walk without huffing and puffing.... and you will live.

That's why you made this decision and it was the right decision to make. And so stick to it!

You are an everyday hero Adam - everyone's favorite kind of hero - so you are entitled to your moments of doubt. But if you spend more than a few moments down on yourself, I will so kick your butt!!

Brenda