Need Strength Training Suggestions

Options
I am a 32 year old woman and I would like to add some strength training to my routine. I've heard around here that it can really help in weight loss. However, I'm confused as to how I should approach it. Should I use less weight and more reps, more weight with less reps, the most weight until muscles give out?

I do know that I should only strength train one or a few muscle groups at a time, but why is that?

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bueller? Bueller?
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    You should do a comination of strength and hypertrophy training. This means some days lifting in the 3-6 rep range with very heavy weight, and other days lifting in the 8-12 rep range for hypertrophy. I wouldn't suggest choosing a weight that you can get more then 12 reps with (a few exceptions), because it is too light for you. People often prefer working only a few muscle groups at a time because it allows you to strength train multiple times in a week, while allowing time for different muscle groups to recover. Good luck!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    You dont need at all to 'only work a few muscle groups at a time'....doing compound movements that use many muscles are very effective for strength gains and looking great.

Id recommend reading something like New rules of lifting for women, or Starting Strength. Both are good for advice on not only how to start, but how to progress. :) Good luck, and enjoy.
  • TJsAprilia
    TJsAprilia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The training you should do depends highly on your goals. IF you are looking to build muscle then you should be working with higher weight and lower reps. IF you are looking to build endurance and get tone you should be working with lower weight and higher reps. Personally I mix these two in a 2 / 1 split. For two weeks I will go for Endurance (Example: 25 lbs biceps curls x 20 reps x 3 - 4 sets), then for one week I will go for building muscle (Example 45 - 50 lbs biceps curls x 3 - 6 reps x 2 - 3 sets).

IF you want to learn more about what type of training might work best for you there are many experts out there. One of the top people in the industry that I trust is Nick Tumminello (http://www.nichtumminello.com or on Youtube @ http://www.youtube.com/user/PerformanceU). You can also find his workouts for women in most fitness mags (Women’s Fitness, Oxygen, etc). You can also search the web for Training Programs for Women and you will find a lot of info.

Make sure whatever you do, you start out slow and increase the weight and reps only if your body is OK with it. Listen to your body.

As for cardio.... I do cardio 5 - 6 days per week and I alternate between 30 min and 60 mins. I cannot run due to lower back issues, so I do Elliptical and Bike mostly. Wish I had a pool at my gym, but no such luck.

Hope this helps
  • amy1612
    Options
    The training you should do depends highly on your goals. IF you are looking to build muscle then you should be working with higher weight and lower reps. IF you are looking to build endurance and get tone you should be working with lower weight and higher reps. Personally I mix these two in a 2 / 1 split. For two weeks I will go for Endurance (Example: 25 lbs biceps curls x 20 reps x 3 - 4 sets), then for one week I will go for building muscle (Example 45 - 50 lbs biceps curls x 3 - 6 reps x 2 - 3 sets).

IF you want to learn more about what type of training might work best for you there are many experts out there. One of the top people in the industry that I trust is Nick Tumminello (http://www.nichtumminello.com or on Youtube @ http://www.youtube.com/user/PerformanceU). You can also find his workouts for women in most fitness mags (Women’s Fitness, Oxygen, etc). You can also search the web for Training Programs for Women and you will find a lot of info.

Make sure whatever you do, you start out slow and increase the weight and reps only if your body is OK with it. Listen to your body.

As for cardio.... I do cardio 5 - 6 days per week and I alternate between 30 min and 60 mins. I cannot run due to lower back issues, so I do Elliptical and Bike mostly. Wish I had a pool at my gym, but no such luck.

Hope this helps

So I know im not ALL women, and Im sure some may have had results with lighter weights, but I lifted lighter weights, more reps for TWO years with no resulting body tone. Ive seen more change in the past 10 weeks since I started 5x5 Stronglifts then I did the whole time I was doing lighter weights more reps. Just personal experience.
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

Do you have an opinion on free weights vs. machines?

Also, how long do you let your body recover before strength training on that same muscle group again?
  • amy1612
    Options
    Free weights all the way :).

I'd say have a days rest between training, I find Im stronger if I have a good days rest.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Hope this helps

So I know im not ALL women, and Im sure some may have had results with lighter weights, but I lifted lighter weights, more reps for TWO years with no resulting body tone. Ive seen more change in the past 10 weeks since I started 5x5 Stronglifts then I did the whole time I was doing lighter weights more reps. Just personal experience.

Low weight is a relative term - you still need to be pushing this up over time. Without the structure of a programme, most people don't do this which is why they don't see improvements with high reps. How you weight train will be dependent on your goals as TJsAprilia said. Not everyone is looking to increase the size of their muscles.

And you often get people talking about upper and lower body split routines on here - it doesn't preclude the use of compound lifts.
  • KitchenAbs
    Options
    If you are new to weight lifting I would HIGHLY recommend the book 'New Rules of Lifting for Women'

It contains at 6 month weight lifting program with all the nutrition advice and simple instructions you will ever need.

EDIT: You can also buy it second hand from somewhere like Amazon