Old fat guy.

Options
Okay - subjective. Absolutely subjective descriptors - Old. Fat. The guy part is pretty spot on, though.

I'll be 40 this year. Between now and my 40th Bday in December, I want to lose 40lbs of fat. I'm obese - 6'1", 230lbs. The GOOD news is, two months ago I weighed ~15lbs more.

I'm not going to do it though. I mean. I probably will fall short. I will never have the kind of body I'm proud of. I'll never feel comfortable shirtless in view of anybody.

That said - that's where I am.

Four months from now? Who knows.

I've started blogging about where I am and what I'm doing - before I learned of this forum. Here's where I'm keeping a diary of sorts: http://nomancard.blogspot.com/

I hope to draw from this community the kinda insights and strength for when things get rough. Hope to e-meet lots of you!

Replies

• BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was about me! :laugh: Heck I'm 56, 6'2" and started at 275 lbs. Now whittled down to 223 and would like to lose about 15 more. As I get closer it gets harder!

Add me if you like.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thanks billy!

Fitness is my ultimate goal. 185lbs would be pretty cool, too :)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    You've done great already!!!!
  • darnnells
    Options
    You CAN DO IT! I believe in you.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! First of all, you're not old. I'm 53 and don't consider myself old yet. You're a kid! Secondly, you can do this. I've been on so many diets, lost and regained so many pounds. But MFP is not really a diet - it's a new lifestyle. I've found that by keeping track of what I eat, I'm making healthier choices. I also make sure I exercise every day so I can log that in, too. It's not really difficult - it just takes some commitment. You can do it if you make up your mind that you want to be the young fit guy!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    We can do this!!!! We'll be fit in no time!!!! that said, I feel better than I ever have losing the weight, still got a bit more to go but learned to love gym, biking etc. etc. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hey all ! Turning 36 on Sat and want to lose 30 in the next couple of months(230lb currently)
    Feel free to friend me for support , I need it too
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place. You can add me if you like. I will be upfront and honest with ys and will help answer anyquestions that I can. Go get'em, you CAB do it!
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great place to be!
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hey Youngster.
    I'm 53 and lost most of my weight over about 8 months so its doable. You will have to stay committed.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    So you weren't talking about me? I am 6'3" and down to 333. so I fit the fat part, and being 40, I am starting to see myself in the older side as well :)
  • RMElliott2
    Options
    I have been at it for 10 months now. Watching your food intake and getting up off the couch does wonders. A pair of walking shoes now only lasts me 3 months. I go walk at lunch while the rest of the office heads for the fast food joints. It took a while to put it on and it will take a while to take it off. You just have to stay after it.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 years old, 5'6" and 208 lbs., although you would never guess that. Most people think I'm about 170-180 lbs. Would love to get down to 160!
  • jtodd28
    jtodd28 Posts: 2
    Options
    No falling short- message if you start getting discouraged!
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! First of all, you're not old. I'm 53 and don't consider myself old yet. You're a kid! Secondly, you can do this. I've been on so many diets, lost and regained so many pounds. But MFP is not really a diet - it's a new lifestyle. I've found that by keeping track of what I eat, I'm making healthier choices. I also make sure I exercise every day so I can log that in, too. It's not really difficult - it just takes some commitment. You can do it if you make up your mind that you want to be the young fit guy!

Kate is right on here. I'm 56 and was told by my doctor to loose 10 lbs. With MFP it was so easy I have now gone beyond that and haven't felt this good in years. I'm even ready to take a new picture. You will do this!
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    40 pounds by December is definitely doable. Suggestions:

Keep a detailed diary of everything that goes in your mouth.
    Weigh and measure your intake.
    Turn into an exercise junkie.

And most of all...have fun doing it! This is a great site to have by your side! Best of luck to you!
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I really hate this comment you made:

"I'm not going to do it though. I mean. I probably will fall short. I will never have the kind of body I'm proud of. I'll never feel comfortable shirtless in view of anybody."

How do you expect to succeeded when you already mentally set yourself up for failure? My best friend does this ALL THE TIME and it makes me want to scream and shake her!

YOU CAN DO IT!
    Now turn that frown upside down and get to it! You already have had success and it will continue if you stick to it and are serious about it.
  • mcedes02
    mcedes02 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! You will slip and probably fall a few times but you can do it! It's really a mind set. I'll be 39 this fall and my 1st goal was to be 200 by birthday!! (started around 254) That gave me 6 months and I thought O M G!!! I'll NEVER make it! But in less than 3 months I've already lost 31lbs and over 7in in my waist!!! Just get up and go even when u don't feel like it! It's a great destresser! Good luck and this site is great for tracking and motivation!!
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    You've done great already!!!!

ditto! and besides, It aint ova til it's ova! Keep on plugging. It will happen. : )
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    I thought this thread was about me! :laugh: Heck I'm 56, 6'2" and started at 275 lbs. Now whittled down to 223 and would like to lose about 15 more. As I get closer it gets harder!

Add me if you like.
    Took the words right out of my fingers!! 56 and wanting to lose 100#....