WEEKENDS?!

Options
Does anyone have issues with the weekend?? I feel like I do perfectly during the week and then the weekend comes and since my normal schedule of eating/working out is off (from waking up later, no work out program on weekends, etc) I tend to eat differently and not to mention eating out and BEER! Is there anything anyone does to help stay on track with the weekend getting in the way at times?? I know you have to balance everything out but I don't want it to stop weight loss.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I try to be VERY good during the week so that I don't completely ruin my weekend. I workout more on the weekend so I burn a lot of calories, so that helps if you can workout more. I drink on the weekends, I try my best to drink beverages that are "better" for you and "healthier". Weekends have always been an issue for me, but I workout as much as I can and I put a lot of effort into the week to almost "make up" for the weekend.
  • rcs7058
    rcs7058 Posts: 25
    Options
    I have the exact same problem, and I'm still trying to fix it!
  • claismit
    claismit Posts: 21
    Options
    I try to be VERY good during the week so that I don't completely ruin my weekend. I workout more on the weekend so I burn a lot of calories, so that helps if you can workout more. I drink on the weekends, I try my best to drink beverages that are "better" for you and "healthier". Weekends have always been an issue for me, but I workout as much as I can and I put a lot of effort into the week to almost "make up" for the weekend.

Awesome advice! I don't want to just cut out everything I love, because I want this to be a life change, something i can stick to, not a temporary thing. A few years ago I lost 30 lbs and completely stopped drinking alcohol, no fried food/fast food and when I met my boyfriend, we liked to go out to eat...guess what happened...20 lbs back on :(
    SO....I will DEFINITELY work out. It will be so much motivation working out on the weekend so that I can enjoy a few Miller 64s that evening! Thanks!
  • mackie121
    mackie121 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is snaking on the weekend! I have more free time so I get bored and eat… ugh usually I just try to keep really busy and ok this is both funny and pathetic I’m was so bad when it came to eating out especially this summer, when I’d go out I’d be like “ok I’m going to get a salad…salad, salad, salad!” then I’d see the menu and usually ended up with like a cheeseburger or something (my will power is pathetic) so now the pathetic part, I started writing SALAD on my hand and wouldn’t even open the menu. It worked…
  • nicole2198
    Options
    Try cooking at home and being DD when you go out. I know it doesn't sound fun but alcohol adds MAJOR calories. I lost weight while still having fun weekends though in the beginning, but now I have plateaued and can't get away with it so much. :/ or try to incorporate more workouts on the weekends like hikes or gym time. Hope this helps :)
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Weekends are sort of issues for me -- typically only when I travel. Sunday I give myself as a "cheat day" -- especially since I don't eat after 6PM I'm typically eating for less hours on that day, so can afford to give myself a break and eat different food that I wouldn't normally eat. AND Monday I do a 24-hour fast [properly called Intermittent Fasting], which is part of the reason I allow Sunday to be a cheat day where I eat more food.

Also, planning meals for the weekend really helps keep me on track.
  • claismit
    Options
    Mackie- That is hilarious! I have a pretty weak will power too...

What I try to do is look at the menu before going out to eat and pick out what I am going to get and know how many calories. My biggest problem is having a few beers and picking off people's plates when they get fried food haha. I guess we just have to learn that we can have those things, just in moderation and balancing it with other meals in the day/week, right??

I have been listening to Bettheny Frankel's Audiobook on my way to work called "Skinny Rules-how to be naturally skinny" and she gives some GREAT tips!
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I give myself a little break on the weekend. I make smart choices but I don't worry too much about going a little over on calories. But I don't let myself go crazy and eat everything in sight, either. Having a couple of days to relax helps me stay on track the rest of the time. If you're too restrictive all the time, you won't be happy and you won't stick with it.
  • claismit
    Options
    Weekends are sort of issues for me -- typically only when I travel. Sunday I give myself as a "cheat day" -- especially since I don't eat after 6PM I'm typically eating for less hours on that day, so can afford to give myself a break and eat different food that I wouldn't normally eat. AND Monday I do a 24-hour fast [properly called Intermittent Fasting], which is part of the reason I allow Sunday to be a cheat day where I eat more food.

How do you do a 24 hour fast???? I get SO hungry and almost pass out if I don't eat every few hours!! I don't know how you can do that! Any tips??
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Mackie- That is hilarious! I have a pretty weak will power too...

What I try to do is look at the menu before going out to eat and pick out what I am going to get and know how many calories. My biggest problem is having a few beers and picking off people's plates when they get fried food haha. I guess we just have to learn that we can have those things, just in moderation and balancing it with other meals in the day/week, right??

I have been listening to Bettheny Frankel's Audiobook on my way to work called "Skinny Rules-how to be naturally skinny" and she gives some GREAT tips!
    No more eating off everyone else's plate! Calories add up fast that way. If what you order is not satisfying, try ordering something more tasty and eat less of it. Get the cheeseburger, ditch the bun (or only eat half) and eat it with a side salad instead of fries. You can satisfy your cravings without going overboard.
  • AnnaYESiCANdoIT
    AnnaYESiCANdoIT Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    yep same here on the weekends :( Its alot of fun but has definetly stalled any weight loss for me. I figure after summer is over itll be less partying and goin out boozin'..... cuz when I drink then I make poor eating choices as well
  • BankPawn
    BankPawn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Weekends are so bad... but all you can do is to a)prepare well by being good during the week, b) do morning exercise before the boozing starts and c) try not to have a massive hangover in the morning that requires bad food to cope with.

I usually do a long cycle ride (2-5h hours) on saturday morning, that allows me to eat and drink almost anything without remorse.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options

How do you do a 24 hour fast???? I get SO hungry and almost pass out if I don't eat every few hours!! I don't know how you can do that! Any tips??

Do your research...that's what I did; I'm still learning though, so by no means an expert.
    Intermittent Fasting -- there are several methods for making it easier to transition into a 24-hour fast [like pushing breakfast back to later in the morning, or eating an earlier dinner, etc.]. There are also several fasting techniques, I chose the one that works best for my lifestyle. Monday works as a no eat, no work-out day. I fast from Sunday night to Monday night, have a normal dinner and call it a night.
    I thought the same thing that I would be starving and pass out after not eating for so long; but really it puts into perspective that you WON'T die from skipping a 24-hour period....helps you recognize actual signs of hunger. lol
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Me too.
    Good all week and then eat back my deficit on the weekends. Ugghh.. I've been at a stand still for the last 6 weeks or so. At least I have not gained and Ive continued to work out. Once school starts and we are not going camping and to theme parks, and to bbq's...I'll be back on track.
  • katchow
    katchow Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes, Issues with the weekend! It is so frustrating. I do spend more time working out on the weekends because I have more time to myself. BUT, I also eat a little more but not much. The Monday morning scale says otherwise, grrrrr!!! I dont know what to do!!??
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me on weekends is hitting my macro goals (usually more carbs, less protein), not so much the total calories.

But, I do have protein set at 40% of my diet.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have issues with the weekend?? I feel like I do perfectly during the week and then the weekend comes and since my normal schedule of eating/working out is off (from waking up later, no work out program on weekends, etc) I tend to eat differently and not to mention eating out and BEER! Is there anything anyone does to help stay on track with the weekend getting in the way at times?? I know you have to balance everything out but I don't want it to stop weight loss.

I think we might be twins lol yes I have that issue ...have for quite some time....but I think I have come to the theory (not sure its right mind you lol) that I can sleep in, have a few beers and eat differently as long as . I save all my workout calories til the weekend....keep it an active weekend-no sitting around.....and keep the (bad) foods I might eat earlier in the day so it gives me more time to burn them off. I am still in the process of making this happen for me right now but I did do this in past when I was late 20's early 30's ....right now my metabolism is so slow from the yo-yo dieting, lack of muscle due to sittin on my butt and at times less than 1200 cal days so it might take more work than before....I think the winning thread through this is to stick to it and keep the momentum going rather than saying oooo I have gained a pound over the wkend I might as well give up lol.....that being said....I love having a beer but it is known as the belly building brew for a reason :(
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I usually do a long cycle ride (2-5h hours) on saturday morning, that allows me to eat and drink almost anything without remorse.

Another cyclist here - I usually ride 3-5 hrs Sunday with a bunch of ... well - alcoholics might be a good word for them - we do an hour of riding and hour of Biergarten, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. I've been pushing them, as a ride leader, to do harder stuff and it slowly works -- keep your weekends active and have fun. It's ok.
  • m03sh3ll
    m03sh3ll Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This post makes me happy... in the sense that I am not the only one with weekend problems.
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    UGH Weekends are tough for me too. I try to be really good during the week so I have some wiggle room during the weekend. I also drink vodka soda instead of beer. But I do still try to make the right choices on the weekend. It depends on what we do as to how much more I eat or drink.

This summer has been tough. Usually on the weekends my husband and I will take our dog on really long walks. But since I live on the surface of the sun, it's unbearable to be outside and exercise. So my weekend exercise is lacking right now. I am so intolerant of Virginia summers.

A 25 min exercise DVD is great to throw in on the weekends though. Gotta get something in.