Elasticity of your skin when losing, how does that work???

Options
I've got a lot of weight to lose and I'm 30 so I'm scared that my skin won't spring back and I'll be left with loose folds. What are some people's thoughts on this. Give me your experience with different ages and activity levels, am I doomed or is it do-able to have a flat belly again.

Thanks.

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    It's one of those genetic "luck of the draw" things, as far as I know. The faster you lose the weight, though, the more likely you are to have extra skin hanging (even if it does eventually adjust later). Some people just keep it, though, and need to have minor surgery to remove the extra skin.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Maintaining as much muscle as possible during weight loss helps, the hardest thing is to not get discouraged because it slows down overall weight loss.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, exercise, and don't lose it too fast. If you still have some loose skin, just be proud of the fact that you lost the weight.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've got a lot of weight to lose and I'm 30 so I'm scared that my skin won't spring back and I'll be left with loose folds. What are some people's thoughts on this. Give me your experience with different ages and activity levels, am I doomed or is it do-able to have a flat belly again.
    Most of the advice I've seen is to lose slowly. 30 is still pretty young in terms of elasticity. Also, don't worry about it -- because worst case scenario, say you end up with some sagging -- are you going to let that stop you from losing weight? And if you let that fear, fear of something that probably will not happen dissauge you or undermine you, well then that fear will be more harmful than any actual loose skin. To quote my grandma, "Don't go borrowing problems, you've already got enough to do."
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing, but two and a half months ago I RE-started this weight loss journey, but this time I decided to get a personal trainer. I am very fortunate that I work at a gym and that the trainer agreed to do this for free for me. I train with her three days a week. We do HIIT and Cross Fit. Ive only lost 17lbs so far, but the inches are coming off like crazy. I started at 250 and Im now at 233. Last time I was this weight, all my clothes at 250 still fit all the way even into my low 220's. But this time, my clothes are already too loose and I may have to go shopping soon. I have alot of stretch marks from being overweight, plus from having my son. I had him when I was 18, and the type and amount of stretch marks I got has me convinced that Im not one of the lucky ones with elastic skin. But I truly believe that with the type of training I am doing, the my body is going to bounce back better because Im building muscle at the same time. And Taylor5877 is right..it does slow down your weight loss, but the inches and building muscle will help out with the excess skin and elasticity. The slower you lose it, the better...it gives your skin time to catch up.
  • stephdg89
    Options
    This is a little different, but I gained 60 lbs with my pregnancy (so gained it very quickly) then lost it all VERY quickly (8 months). I did get some stretch marks very low on my stomach, but not until the last 2 weeks of the pregnancy. By 3 months after having my daughter they had faded and are almost unnoticeable now. I have very little loose skin and it's only where the few stretch marks are. The more I tone (doing ab exercises and actually doing lots of intense cardio) the more the stretch marks fade and the skin tightens. As far as genetics, mine aren't great. My mom and sister both have a lot of stretch marks. But I do drink WAY more water than them and put on cream daily. Also I'm 23.
  • Nicole_Altieri
    Nicole_Altieri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Love the quote, thanks for the advice!