Beachbody by Shaun T (Insanity)

Options
I fairly recently bought it. So I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep it or do it.
How hard is it?
Anyone got some success stories? Pictures appreciated.
Tell me your opinion of it.

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    The program is not the optimal way for beginner to train. You can find out why in the traning frequency expplained article contained in the link below. My opinion is that you should return it and select a proper time tested and proven beginner weight training routine. Your money would be MUCH better spent on the book Starting Strength. Linky: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • tifanico
    tifanico Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the poster above.
    Insanity is NOT beginner work out. Its tough and you do have to have a certain fitness level to do it. I would suggest you do something lighter than the 30day Shred for a while and then move up to Insanity.

I'm not sure if you should return it, maybe keep it and have a goal in your mind to start in, lets say in two months or so?
    I gives great results and its totally worth the time but you need to build up to it.
  • cjh03
    cjh03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Not knowing your prior exercise experience, I can't say if it is for you or not. I just started Insanity this week, but this has been after months of cardio and strength training. If you have a good base set already, then I would say you should be fine since you can take it at your own pace anyways. One way to easily see if you'll be good for Insanity is to try out the Fit Test DVD... it will show you your baseline and give you a small taste of what is to come.
  • Jenniferrose194
    Jenniferrose194 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am about to start my 6th week of Insanity and I love it! I wouldn't consider myself a beginner at exercise but i'm definitely not fit, and I still make it through just fine! They're not easy, but you get great results if you push through, do it right, and stay on top of it.
  • SilverLuma
    SilverLuma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was super out of shape when I started. If you listen to Shaun T. Go at your own pace, and keep proper form, you will make it through. The first week was rough for me but I've made so much improvement in only 3 weeks. I strongly recommend it. Don't get discouraged! Beginners can do the challenge too! It's designed for everyone. Some of the moves I had to modify in the beginning but as long as you are pushing yourself and doing what you can, you still get the benefit. However, I'm doing month 1 twice, because I'm a beginner, then moving on to month 2. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • runningmom27
    Options
    I have done it and I think anyone can. Shaun T tells you constantly to go at your pace and rest if you need to. Just do what you can and before you know it, you will be keeping up!!!!!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I disagree with some folks above. I did it. Lost 14lbs in 2 months. It helped me started on this journey.

It is NOT easy but if you stick to it, you will not have any regrets. I started MFP and Insanity at the same time. I couldn't follow the schedule every day, I did it every other until I wasn't as so sore that I couldn't walk the next day. I was determined to lose weight and get in shape, so if you aren't all in, don't do it but if you are, you won't regret it.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Insanity is the best! Yes, you will be way out of breath and probably feeling like you're going to puke the first week or two-- or more. But know that's normal and OK, and you won't die! Do take breaks but only when your body says you HAVE to, not when you WANT to. People can lose a lot of weight with the program if they follow it. You will get stronger with every workout, and you will be very proud of yourself when you get to the end.

Then take a break and do something else-- go back to it after a month or two and you'll be even better during the next round! I built up awesome cardio endurance that I had never had before. I always hated jumping and thought I needed low impact workouts. Now I'm turning 45 next month and I can jump as good as anyone!

Never quit and don't give up-- be patient and just get through it no matter how many times you have to stop. You can do it!!!
  • alw141
    alw141 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I finished my first round of Insanity on July 7th. I LOVED it and plan to do another round in September. I didn't lose much weight but ended up losing 15.5 inches. I was running and doing other work-outs for a year or so prior to starting it so I had a little bit of exercise behind me. My husband was fairly sedentary, he tried it and ended up hurting his knee. But I think if you follow the advice that the others posted about going at your own pace and resting when you need to, you'll be fine. Don't send it back though! Even if you don't feel ready now, try something else for awhile first to get some endurance and then go for it! It really is a great system, a lot of fun and addicting! Good luck!
  • dluechtefeld
    dluechtefeld Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The most helpful review I've encountered is at the URL below. The reviewer - a professional trainer - compares Insanity vs. P90X vs. GSP Rushfit, The review is quite critical of Insanity, on the grounds of its lack of biomechanical safety:

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1443/p90x-insanity-and-rushfit-a-side-by-side/
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Keep it so you have something to aspire to!
  • shiftysheep
    shiftysheep Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm into month two of Insanity & when I started I was a complete beginner (I have had to insert a few extra rest day here & there), but as long as you go at your own pace any one can do it. But month two is a lot harder than month one. Month one feel like the warm up for month two.

Since getting into fitness I've done a lot of reading/research, if I'd knew then what I know now, I would probably started with a small amount of high intensity interval training, weights (deadlifts & weighted squats) & pull ups.
  • shiftysheep
    shiftysheep Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    But no matter what workouts I do in the future, I have to thank Shaun T for starting me on this journey, because I never did any workouts until I got Insanity & now I'm a workout junkie!
  • RunninSD
    RunninSD Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm in my recovery week and I would normally run 2.5 to 4 miles every other day and it was hard as all holy hell the first week. It has helped me in many other areas. I'm starting to see definition in my arms and legs. My back fat has decreased a lot. :drinker:

I now try to do insanity every night and every other day I run 3 miles before work+a 10-20 minute aerobics video. To get an extra burn I usually repeat the warm up and other segments which add up to 48-55 minutes of insanity. :smokin: :smokin:

It really depends on your fitness level. My friend that is over 200lbs and is 5'3 could barely do her old HS cheerleading dance to a 3 min song and I had to tell her not to get it. She needs to improve her overall fitness otherwise she'll be wasting her time. She doesn't eat right or work out regularly. She also has carpal tunnel in her right hand which requires a brace so she couldn't even do plank. if she wanted to. :cry: :cry: :cry: It's sad because I really want her to take better care of herself but she doesn't.

If your health won't allow for it, or if you're not serious about it and it's just going to collect dust like all of my co-workers boxes have then don't get it.:mad:

*******BEFORE I BOUGHT IT I went on Youtube and watched other people do it and also found the videos posted on websites. After I did those for a week I bought insanity and I am so glad that those bootleggers posted it because it made me actually want t buy it.
  • coachpelzfit
    Options
    So your thinking about buying Insanity, well you better prepare yourself for a tough as nails workout. Now don't let this scare you because just like P90X you can modify the moves so that it is safe for you. Insanity is about HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and it is about only letting the heart rate drop for a very short duration.
    This is a program that is 60 days to complete and you will know if you are doing the nutrition guide along with the program you will for sure see results. And here is the best part if you do get the program from a Beachbody Coach then you have a free accountability partner. That is the BEST part about Insanity and all the other programs.

If you see people posting pictures with very little results after 60 days they did not have one of the 3.

FITNESS< NUTRITION< ACCOUNTABILITY

If you are looking for a program to make you sweat 5 minutes into it then this is it! I was not only able to improve all my fit test numbers but I was also able to increase my 8K time 1:30 minutes....which is unreal for not going on any runs during the whole 60 days. It improves your endurance 10 fold. Buy and buy it from Coach! Best of luck to all of you and I hope this helped your decisions.
  • shea1824
    Options
    I just started it yesterday! I completed the fit test and did the first real workout today. Boy, did it kick my butt! But I stuck through it, no matter how out of breath I was or how drenched in sweat I was. Prior to insanity, I worked out 4 - 5 days a week. I did a good variety of cardio and strength training, and I am SUPER glad I did. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been prepared at all for this. But, it's all about YOU and if you think YOU'RE ready. Because this isn't just one workout, it's a whole two months! I wish you the best of luck :)