Some starting questions...

Options
Hi everyone,

So, I have been doing this for about 16 days and have lost 8lbs... It's hard but I am at the point of still seeing results, so I guess that is motivation in its own. I do have some questions and was wondering if some of you who have been here for a while (or dieting like Chase for 6 years) have some answers.

Q1: This site is phenomenal in all aspects, but I am finding it difficult to calculate calories lost while doing everyday tasks. Has anyone discovered a way of calculating say the average calorie loss for walking during the day? I have been taking the stairs rather than the elevator, but I am not sure if that counts as burning calories. My concern is that I am supposed to be on a 1620 calorie daily value, but with food consumption and cardiovascular exercise, I still come really close (or slightly above) my calorie count. This takes me to the next question.

Q2: I work 10 hour days (7am to 6pm), come home to take care of two daughters, put them to sleep around 9pm, and start doing house chores. Around 11 pm I sit on the computer to study until early morning... so the question is, for those of you who have a busy schedule, how do you manage to find time to do any exercise? Also, at what point does physical exhaustion play a reversed role in helping you loose weight? Are there any short routines you practice that help you balance your busy time with your "me" time?

Q3: I come from a grain devouring, meat eating, dairy consuming culture, and although I am counting calories, and doing everything this site tells me to do, I have discovered (not surprised) that my cholesterol is at 224. This site has been instrumental in helping me keep track of what I need to balance; but I am finding it difficult to keep cholesterol consumption under 300 (mg)... Just today I discovered that a regular salad from Farmer Boys has about 290 mg of cholesterol... So, is anyone dealing with this issue as well? Anyone have suggestions (besides becoming vegetarian which I am aiming for) or recipes to try? Anyone know any tricks about fast food places where I can get low cholesterol food?

Q4: Lastly (I promise), Anyone interested on forming a support group committed to helping each other? I have tried this for two weeks and I thought I could do it alone... but I finally broke down and realized I need your help.

Finally, thank you for reading all the way here...

Mauricio

Replies

• Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Q1: This site is phenomenal in all aspects, but I am finding it difficult to calculate calories lost while doing everyday tasks. Has anyone discovered a way of calculating say the average calorie loss for walking during the day?

When you set you activity level in MFP you should take into account your basic activity levels including stuff like taking the stairs. But, to be honest, it's not very productive to get too hung up about it. If, under your current activity and eating plan, you are losing weight then that for many is good enough.

In other words, if it's currently working... don't change anything.
    how do you manage to find time to do any exercise? Also, at what point does physical exhaustion play a reversed role in helping you loose weight? Are there any short routines you practice that help you balance your busy time with your "me" time?

First thing: For weight loss exercise is not necessary (for health, exercise IS important).

If you want to exercise you need to build it into your day. Don't get hung up about what is the best exercise, do what you enjoy and can fit into your week. In your instance I'd suggest building some active play with your daughters into your week. Take them swimming, take them to the park, fly a kite, cycle etc. This way you are maintaining some quality "dad" time and exercising. If you feel you need more or more structured exercise look into Tabata training. It is very short, very intense exercise routines which can be completes in 5 mins (15 with warm up/cool down).

...but I am finding it difficult to keep cholesterol consumption under 300 (mg)... Just today I discovered that a regular salad from Farmer Boys has about 290 mg of cholesterol... So, is anyone dealing with this issue as well? Anyone have suggestions (besides becoming vegetarian which I am aiming for) or recipes to try? Anyone know any tricks about fast food places where I can get low cholesterol food?

If you are currently working with your doctor on this issue her/his advice should be followed but, dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels are not as closely related as many think. Eggs for example contain dietary cholesterol but reduce blood cholesterol levels.
    Q4: Lastly (I promise), Anyone interested on forming a support group committed to helping each other? I have tried this for two weeks and I thought I could do it alone... but I finally broke down and realized I need your help.

fire me a Friend request if you want to.

Best wishes
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    Come on folks we've got a new guy over here looking for some support!
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi Mauricio. I can tell you some things that have been helping me.

Question 1: Counting everyday calories burned. I have been on MFP everyday since February 14th. After the first few weeks, my weight stopped moving. I tried the "Eat More to Weigh Less" idea for about 2 months and had no results. I tried lifting weights...and got strong, but no weight loss. Finally, I bought a BodyMedia Fit Armband (like the BodyBuggs that the Biggest Loser contestants used to wear) and found out that my calorie burn was not nearly as high as MFP estimated. I wear it all the time, except in the shower or swimming, and it calculates my calorie burn throughout the day. It also calculates how much you sleep and how much your sleep is interrupted. I have found it to be a great tool. I know some others are using FitBit, but I am not sure that it would be as accuarate because it doesn't have as many sensors and such. Both are worth checking out.

Question 2: Working out with a busy schedule. I am a little anxious about this. I have been off work since February, but will likely be returning to a sedentary job in September or October. I will try to do intense exercises like running or TurboFire (kickboxing) to get the maximum calorie burn per minute. This, of course, depends on your fitness level.

Question 3: I have never had to worry a lot about cholesterol issues, so I cannot speak to this.

Question 4: I have found that my MFP friends really keep me motivated. Feel free to send me a friend request if you wish.

Best of luck in your journey!
    Shannon
  • LanaMartin101
    Options

Q1: This site is phenomenal in all aspects, but I am finding it difficult to calculate calories lost while doing everyday tasks. Has anyone discovered a way of calculating say the average calorie loss for walking during the day? I have been taking the stairs rather than the elevator, but I am not sure if that counts as burning calories. My concern is that I am supposed to be on a 1620 calorie daily value, but with food consumption and cardiovascular exercise, I still come really close (or slightly above) my calorie count. This takes me to the next question.

I always look at this as a bonus. I know many like to keep track of every extra calory burned. But, I see it as extra on top of what is calculated from my day. If you really want to, I believe there is a button on the menu under the exercise tab for normal walking, and at what speed; then for the stair, there should also be that option. I would just decide what you're wanting and do it.

Q2: I work 10 hour days (7am to 6pm), come home to take care of two daughters, put them to sleep around 9pm, and start doing house chores. Around 11 pm I sit on the computer to study until early morning... so the question is, for those of you who have a busy schedule, how do you manage to find time to do any exercise? Also, at what point does physical exhaustion play a reversed role in helping you loose weight? Are there any short routines you practice that help you balance your busy time with your "me" time?

I use to fight with this. Don't get discouraged. I like that Aperture_Scie said to incorporate things into your daily routing. I can also suggest maybe adding a 10 minute strength training in. I'm a coach with Beach Body & I have quite a few people that use that at the beginning or end of their day to just have something extra to what they do in their daily lives.

Q3: I come from a grain devouring, meat eating, dairy consuming culture, and although I am counting calories, and doing everything this site tells me to do, I have discovered (not surprised) that my cholesterol is at 224. This site has been instrumental in helping me keep track of what I need to balance; but I am finding it difficult to keep cholesterol consumption under 300 (mg)... Just today I discovered that a regular salad from Farmer Boys has about 290 mg of cholesterol... So, is anyone dealing with this issue as well? Anyone have suggestions (besides becoming vegetarian which I am aiming for) or recipes to try? Anyone know any tricks about fast food places where I can get low cholesterol food?

My husband and I fight with this! O SO MUCH! I have lost 62 lbs & he is on his way down. This is truly the biggest fight. He also has high cholesterol. My suggestions here is to also follow your doctor's instructions, but to get in a diet program that will work for you. I can tell you that the program I am in work in is amazing. I am in love with shakes for breakfast and finally found the one! My husband has been on it now for a week and is seeing a difference in energy & hunger. I have been on it now for a while & have seen so much more. I suggest planning your food out & trying to make it easy on yourself!

You can friend me as well! Are there groups on here? I would love to form one!
  • goalNOregrets
    goalNOregrets Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, great work on what you have accomplished so far, just keep doing what seems to be working! I have a pedometer (Striiv is mine but there are plenty of others) that tracks how many steps and stairs I take and how many calories it figures I burn that I wear all the time for daily activies. It is interesting to see how active I really am or am not in a particular day, and reinforces for me taking the stairs instead of the elevator or parking a little farther away in the parking lot. I don't eat all the calories back that it gives me, but it does help me know which days I can have a little bit bigger "fudge factor" (hmm... chocolate) in the math.
  • cjbucci19
    cjbucci19 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Check this out....good for busy people and anyone who sits at a desk a lot!
    http://www.tabatatimer.com/
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    Tabata training is a brilliant but brutal form of exercise.
  • ticho9
    ticho9 Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Shannon,

Many thanks for the reply. I just bought a pretty expensive treadmill with ifit and it is helping me follow preset workouts. I also have Nike+ running that helps me keep track when I run outside. But I'm really interested on trying the bodtmedia fit as I'm very curious to find ut what my actual level of activity is during the day. I like he idea that I can measure my sleep patters, since I recently got tested for sleep apnea.

It hurts me to admit that before I got married I was extremely fit. I have played sports since I was 4 years old. I have taught tennis and swimming, and even used to compete in roller skating.. Anyhow, I not afraid of becoming active again, I just dont know how to start, and I'm afraid I need someone next to me pushi me...

Thank you,
    Mauricio
  • ticho9
    Options
    I'm at a point where I want to try anything said from starvation!!! Tabita huh!

Thanks!
  • ticho9
    Options

I always look at this as a bonus. I know many like to keep track of every extra calory burned. But, I see it as extra on top of what is calculated from my day. If you really want to, I believe there is a button on the menu under the exercise tab for normal walking, and at what speed; then for the stair, there should also be that option. I would just decide what you're wanting and do it.
    true oh so true

I use to fight with this. Don't get discouraged. I like that Aperture_Scie said to incorporate things into your daily routing. I can also suggest maybe adding a 10 minute strength training in. I'm a coach with Beach Body & I have quite a few people that use that at the beginning or end of their day to just have something extra to what they do in their daily lives.
    :happy:

My husband and I fight with this! O SO MUCH! I have lost 62 lbs & he is on his way down. This is truly the biggest fight. He also has high cholesterol. My suggestions here is to also follow your doctor's instructions, but to get in a diet program that will work for you. I can tell you that the program I am in work in is amazing. I am in love with shakes for breakfast and finally found the one! My husband has been on it now for a week and is seeing a difference in energy & hunger. I have been on it now for a while & have seen so much more. I suggest planning your food out & trying to make it easy on yourself!
    what'' the name of the shake. I just bought some from Costco that I'll try.... Suggestions are welcome!

You can friend me as well! Are there groups on here? I would love to form one!

This is my intention... To form a group where I can really call you "friends"... I'll look into how to create one.

Thank you for your reply

Mauricio
  • LiliamG
    LiliamG Posts: 34
    Options
    before entering this place had to lose 60 pounds ... I've lost 20 pounds ... now I'm going to lose 40 pounds more ... I'm coming on my second day .. and this place has made me organize myself more in food and exercise .. I'm happy ...
  • ticho9
    Options
    I just realized that typing in the iPad is different from e website... Sorry if my responses do not show separate..
  • ticho9
    Options
    Hi, great work on what you have accomplished so far, just keep doing what seems to be working! I have a pedometer (Striiv is mine but there are plenty of others) that tracks how many steps and stairs I take and how many calories it figures I burn that I wear all the time for daily activies. It is interesting to see how active I really am or am not in a particular day, and reinforces for me taking the stairs instead of the elevator or parking a little farther away in the parking lot. I don't eat all the calories back that it gives me, but it does help me know which days I can have a little bit bigger "fudge factor" (hmm... chocolate) in the math.

I just learned that dark chocolate is really great for you!!! Have you received support from those close to you? For example, do you have to cook your own food because those at home want to have a BBQ chicken pizza?

Thank you,
    Mauricio
  • ticho9
    Options
    before entering this place had to lose 60 pounds ... I've lost 20 pounds ... now I'm going to lose 40 pounds more ... I'm coming on my second day .. and this place has made me organize myself more in food and exercise .. I'm happy ...

Wow Lilliam, that's remarkable! Congratulations... Please share your secrets... I have (I'm committed) to loose about 35 lbs. according to all tests, I need to be at 174lbs in order to keep my BMI under 22...

Hope we can become friends.

Thanks,
    Mauricio
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about how many calories you burn during regular day stuff. Most of that is already taken into account because you gave your activity level. If you have a very active lifestyle you automatically get bonus calories for that. If you're more of a sitting job type of person you don't get the bonus. So, just follow the amount of calories it says.

If you see after three weeks you're losing less than the expected pound a week (assuming that's the setting your using) you can slightly decrease calories or up exercise. (note the SLIGHTLY) If you're losing more on average you burn more than you're giving credit for, so you could slightly up your calories to keep losing at a steady pace. Overdoing it is hardly ever good, nor is it with dieting.

Don't remember who said it, but exercise really isn't a big part of losing weight. In fact, most people automatically eat more when they work out (and don't weigh everything they eat). And while exercise is good for you, so is losing weight. So, if you can't do both due to time restraints at least go for the healthier weight.

By the way, well done on the 8 lbs in 16 days! But don't be concerned if it slows down. That's what happens. I've lost 6lbs in the first week, and another 6 lbs in the 60 days after. Slow and steady wins the race. So whatever the scale says don't give up.
  • ticho9
    Options
    Thank you MissMornie for the thoughtful response. You made several valid points... I have modified my eating habits quite a bit, and have increased my exercise... This is all a learning experience... I figured it took this long to get to where I am that I cannot expect to be at where I want overnight...

Thank you again, and hope we stay in touch!

Mauricio