118 pounds, why do i still feel like i'm fat?

Options
I'm down to 118 pounds now, and for some reason i look in the mirror and i still think i look so fat. but i couldn't possibly be that fat, when i'm under 120 pounds. is this just me having body issues, where i see a fat person in the mirror, when i'm in reality skinny? my husband says i'm very skinny now. but all i see is huge thighs and arms. any one else like this. I probably have the mind set of an anorexic, although i'm not yet.

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm 124 and 5'1 and I'm still considered obese bc of my body fat %. So you can still feel/look fat at that weight. Try posting a pic in a bathing suit
  • leambi
    leambi Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I am still not body confident even though i am close to my goal weight, i think that i will always find faults with myself but i knew that shifting some of the excess weight i carried wouldnt be some miracle cure. Once i reach my goal weight i am just going to concentrate on getting as toned as i can and staying that way but i can safely say i will never be strutting my stuff in a bikini.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Have you lost a lot of weight in the past? Maybe you're just so used to seeing fat that you're having trouble being happy with yourself the way you are. It's hard to stop obsessing over your body after having to for so long. If you obsess over it all day talk to your doctor.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    118 is my goal weight and i'm 5'5". you look taller in your pic so... no, you're not fat. i'm very envious of you right now, lol.

even when i was at my lowest weight, i always thought something was wrong--my stomach was too poochy or my butt was too big. society gives the thought in us that nothing should ever jiggle and we all should look like victoria secret models or else we're ugly. don't be too hard on yourself. plus, all who should matter is the hubs, right? i'm getting skinny for my fiance (and myself of course!) and the fact that he's proud of me and has seen a change in my body since i've started dieting, it's enough for me to keep going and be happy with myself. :)
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Be honest: Do you really feel "fat", or is fat just shorthand for "not as thin or toned as I'd like to be"? Because if you honestly feel literally fat, then it might be a distortion of how you view yourself. I don't know how tall you are, but unless you were like, 4 foot 5, 118 is not "fat".

If it's the latter, then I think that is totally normal. You might have to play around with different diet and exercise combos that you feel work for you. Don't get discouraged.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You may be suffering from body dysmorphia. Some will always have it and some will not. Many people who used to be heavier and lose a considerable amount of weight have a hard time adjusting to the "new" them in the mirror. You may just need to let your brain adjust.

Or you may still find flaws taht you want to work on. Many of us go through these cycles - but you can not let it consume you. 118 regardless of height is quite thin - so you shouldn't worry. Concentrate on toning and you'll start to like who you see.
  • HungerGame82
    HungerGame82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is MEEEEE. I'm less than 118 but still. Why do I feel fat.
  • keconrad6485
    keconrad6485 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I probably have the mind set of an anorexic, although i'm not yet. <---- That is a scary statement. Try to focus on being HEALTHY and giving yourself a positive affirmation in the mirror each day. Working out and eating well will boost your mood. Telling yourself things like "I am beautiful/loved/smart/etc.", "My *kitten* looks awesome in these jeans", etc. ALOUD in the mirror can only make you feel better about yourself. And it definitely can't help to look into symptoms of/treatments for body dysmorphia with a professional.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm not that thin (yet) but I've noticed that even with almost 50 pounds off, I find myself saying that it hasn't made any difference. When I look in a mirror I still think I look the same. But what I've found is helpful is using photographs instead. When I see my highest weight compared to my current weight in a picture, the drastic difference is obvious. So I know the issue is with my perception and not what's actually happening; a little distance makes all the difference.
  • aprilh0909
    aprilh0909 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Now THIS is a thread I can relate to. I went through IVF (invitro fertilization) about 8 years ago and gained about 30 pounds from the meds and increased stress causing me to eat. I lost a lot of weight from low-carbing, but gained a lot of it back during my eventual pregnancy and laziness with my diet. FLASH FORWARD - even at 117.5 (present day) and 5'3, I look at myself in the mirror and cringe. Part of it is the little post-baby pooch. I can only suck it in so much, stand just so... It doesn't help that my significant other looks at every single body at the pool. He loves me, but it's demoralizing when I feel the way I do then see that everyone else looks better than me...at least in my mind's eye. I know guys are visual, and I know everybody is half naked at the pool...A lot of that is a "me" issue.

I am better at supporting others than encouraging myself. My SO is very critical of himself and I am very positive and kind. Then I look at myself...

Hang in there. We are all our own worst critic in this category.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm not that thin (yet) but I've noticed that even with almost 50 pounds off, I find myself saying that it hasn't made any difference. When I look in a mirror I still think I look the same. But what I've found is helpful is using photographs instead. When I see my highest weight compared to my current weight in a picture, the drastic difference is obvious. So I know the issue is with my perception and not what's actually happening; a little distance makes all the difference.

Pictures do help quite a bit :)
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    You may be suffering from body dysmorphia. Some will always have it and some will not. Many people who used to be heavier and lose a considerable amount of weight have a hard time adjusting to the "new" them in the mirror. You may just need to let your brain adjust.

Or you may still find flaws taht you want to work on. Many of us go through these cycles - but you can not let it consume you. 118 regardless of height is quite thin - so you shouldn't worry. Concentrate on toning and you'll start to like who you see.

^^This