How do you make up for a "bad" food day?

Options
This past weekend I attended a wedding, visited family and watched a beach volleyball tournament. It resulted in eating a lot of "no-no" foods (carbs, fried food, sweets, alcohol etc). Of course I was over my calorie count for each day of the weekend! Should I be leaving a larger net calorie deficit during the week to make up for the excess calories on the weekend? Or just continue with getting my MFP target as I would normally do? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track, maybe just cut hundred calories for a few days or up the exercise, it should all balance out fine as long as you don't rush to do it again right away.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    Move on. I might do an extra 10 minutes at the gym the next day or 2, but that's it. Don't dwell on it, just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be alright.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I take Isagenix to re-alkaline something. or something.

LOL NO I DONT LOL.

Seriously though, just resume your original plan if you have a slip up., Don't panic, dont over-adjust. Just go back to the plan, and get *kitten* done son.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I take Isagenix to re-alkaline something. or something.

LOL NO I DONT LOL.

Seriously though, just resume your original plan if you have a slip up., Don't panic, dont over-adjust. Just go back to the plan, and get *kitten* done son.

LMFAO!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You take the bad food over your knee...and you SPANK IT...spank it HARD...that'll teach that bad food...grrrrr
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should just get back on track and don't worry about it. This is your LIFE, not your "diet" -- you're going to have slips here and there, but if you keep at it, it'll all work out in the end.

That being said, sometimes after I have a "bad" day or two, I find myself being under a couple of hundred calories for a few days afterwards. I don't fight that, either! :wink:
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I have higher calorie days, I just try to make up for it within the week. I aim more for balanced weeks than days. Some times it can be overwhelming when I am starving and I want or need more food. So, looking at it on a weekly basis some times puts it into perspective for me. I like to look at my weekly progress so that I know I am on track.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Get my butt to the gym and work till its gone :-)
  • mszebra
    mszebra Posts: 94
    Options
    After a bad day/week I just make sure to get some extra exercise in and drink plenty of water. **** happens. :)
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Get on the bike and go dig "in the pain cave".
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I had a bad day yesterday after a bad evening the night before. I've just got back on the plan. Going to go for a cycle later. I've got a cold, previously I'd use this as an excuse to avoid a work out, but now I'm too passionate about losing this weight!
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just workout. Do not go under your calories on other days. Start fresh.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    **** happens, life happens, but past is past. Forget it, move on, start fresh. What you focus on grows, so stop thinking about your 'bad weekend' and start thinking about how awesome you will feel when you reach your goal!
  • twosons08
    twosons08 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I admit I was panicking a little, but cooler heads prevail in the end!
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This past weekend I attended a wedding, visited family and watched a beach volleyball tournament. It resulted in eating a lot of "no-no" foods (carbs, fried food, sweets, alcohol etc). Of course I was over my calorie count for each day of the weekend! Should I be leaving a larger net calorie deficit during the week to make up for the excess calories on the weekend? Or just continue with getting my MFP target as I would normally do? What are your thoughts?

I'd get back on track, maybe exercise a little extra. Today's a new day! Next time, instead of completely going off track, maybe try to plan in some special foods you want to splurge on but otherwise eat plenty of healthy choices and add in some exercise to offset the extra food.
  • carlageek
    carlageek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I don't try to "make up" for off-plan choices - I just get right back on plan with the very next choice.

I have found that trying to make up for things leads to starve/binge cycles, or at least to more instability, more off-plan choices, and more trouble staying on plan.

Just put the one day behind you and get on with it. One day doesn't make or break your progress - if it's the only off-plan day you have this month you probably wouldn't even notice the difference !
  • twosons08
    twosons08 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You take the bad food over your knee...and you SPANK IT...spank it HARD...that'll teach that bad food...grrrrr

LOL - Fifty Shades?
  • StilleNacht
    Options
    I go to bed and start anew in the morning.
    And that's that. :)
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Calorie Cycling.. high days mixed with low days, it will all even out. :-) I did a low yesterday, will do a high today and maybe tomorrow too, because I know my weekend will be low.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I view it as casting a pebble in the river of my healthy eating. One pebble isn't going to change the course. Keep it up long enough and it could make a difference but one day won't.