Old fat guy.

Options

Replies

• Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    46 year old former fat guy here. Feel free to add me, 15lbs in ain't bad, you'll get there!
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, and 5' tall. That is not a typo. My weight is in my ticker, and as you can see, I've got a long ways to go.

Welcome! Friend me, and I'll cheer you on.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Don't feel too bad. I was older and fatter when I started -- 50 and 275 at 5' 10, that was 2 years ago. I had a 1 year relapse in between. Now 52 and 192 (give or take). It's doable, but it's never as quick or as easy as we want it to be. Good luck!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'm 58, down 46 lbs.
    It can be done, and you've got a good start.
    I think you've got this.
  • Calgarycowpoke
    Options
    Hey Buddy good looking starts within the inside and I would say you have a pretty hot person to be so honest (actually the outside looks pretty good too!)
    So we share what we experienced to help others...so I have bad knees, surgery didnt help (neither does the weight) cardio is out and running but what I can do is really work that tread mill on a good fast walk...I get my heart rate up, calories burnt and even after 30 minutes I still dont want to stop most days. Put it in front of the TV and after a sitcom you dont even know 30 minutes has gone by!

I am not allowed to do anything till I have done my tread mill when I get home from work. Maaaannnny days I dont want to do it, but I have to remember how I feel when I get off it...YES I DID IT FOR TODAY! and that's my only goal, today. So if I dont think about tomorrow till tomorrow then I cant thin I wont make it by Christmas...kapiche?

Don't focus so much on your goal as on today.

If you have come this far, to MFP, and keep on journaling and posting, you will do it or your buds here will remind you so just keep on keepin' on!
  • dkmori
    dkmori Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    59 years old. Down from 275 to 161 in the last 18 months. Decided I was going to get in shape for retirement because I was not sure if I was going to live to see retirement. Much healthier now and feeling a lot better about myself. I wish I had done this when I was your age. You can do it . This is your time.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    40? Dude...I'm on the dark side of my 30's...don't tell me 40 is old, it's right around the corner. :laugh:
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You are neither fat, nor do you look old!
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    You CAN do it, we all can. Believing in yourself is half the battle and there is plenty of support here to keep you going in the right direction and cheer you on :)
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I know you can do it! You are in the right place and it seems you have the right attitude! Great loss so far.

Soon you will just be the old bloke! I kid - check my age, 40 is the new 30 ;o)

Good luck!
  • suaku
    suaku Posts: 45
    Options
    Keep at it! I just turned 50, and I've managed to lose over 100 pounds in six months just by exercising more (walking on an inclined treadmill, elliptical, and weights) and eating fewer calories (normal foods including eating out, pizza, etc. -- just smaller quantities and smarter choices). You can do it if it's important to you. Good luck! :)
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    63 and 265lbs here aiming for 180lbs. I was worried that I had lost only 7 lbs in three weeks, but out walking just now had to tighten my belt a nothch not to lose my trousers! Must be muscle building and not realising it.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    HEY! Do NOT burst my bubble because I have decided I will not be old until I'm 90+! I am only 27 and have every intention of living a full, happy, LONG, youthful life.

I agree the calories you're taking in may be too low. I understand your activity may be limited because of your knees, but I am 5'6" and 183lbs and I eat 1800 calories a day. Reevaluate that. Being a veteran, do you still have tricare and have access to programs at the hospital? I don't know how all of that works. My husband is in the Army. I see the nutrition clinic at the hospital. Just started seeing them and they've been wonderful. Obviously, I'm not a very good Army wife. I should know things about TriCare than I do. LOL

BTW you aren't fat. I like to consider myself "fluffy". I'm soft and nice to hold says my husband. lmao Set your mind straight. You WILL do this. I don't tell myself I "can" do anything. I tell myself I WILL do it. No matter how long it takes me or how hard it may be. It's going to happen. :happy: I would wish you luck, but you don't need that. Work for it! You know what you have to do to reach your goals so get out there and do it!
  • gobunkos
    gobunkos Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    62 and counting here. 40 seems a long time ago for me, but I decided to lose weight back in January. I just wanted to lose about 1 lb/week so I've been on a 1500 calorie/day regime since then with about 300 added for my exercising (mainly walking, riding an exercise bike & golfing). I'm assuming you've been told 1200 since you need to lose about 2 lbs/week, which you probably will for the short term, but denying youself some eating pleasures may lead to falling off the wagon and overdoing it. I haven't always kept to my limit, but I think it is easier to get back on track if you leave some of the foods you enjoy in your meals. With MFP adding back exercise calories. Think about scaling back your goals.
  • kattbyrd67
    kattbyrd67 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you have bad knees, try swimming. I have knee issues, too, but I've found that I can work out on a Tony Little Gazelle Fitness Flyer without too much trouble....

Good luck. You can do this...and in time for your birthday, too. :)
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    60, 6' 0", started at 220, just snuck under 200, first time in over twenty years. have about 12-14 more to go. Good luck to both of you, and keep it going!
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Geez folks - such outpouring of support and good vibes.

Blown away a little bit for sure.

re: my attitude. I'm not negative, really. The reality is, I'm still obese. No matter my mental outlook about my relative attractiveness or my status of 'fat' or 'not fat', i'm obese. Positive thinking has gotten me big. Positively stopping 'eating too damn much' will be the cure, coupled with burning calories. I'm sure I'll lose weight. I can't see the prize though - right now the only prize I have is doing what I can to avoid looking like I do. I want 'not my body' MORE than I want "Cheesecake". So - having a better body/being a little more in-shape will be my reward...whenever that happens.

Sure appreciate you folks. Thank you for the warm welcome.
  • 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You are winner already for realizing and wanting ! Success already! One day at a time......
  • PoliticalRN
    PoliticalRN Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Don't sell yourself so short. You can accomplish anything you want to. Negative self-talk can have a true impact on your life. Start your day with a positive thought and an attainable goal for the day. Take it one day at a time. I have a friend who started his low-carb diet and at 6'5" he had 40 pounds to lose. He lost his 40 pounds in 12 weeks. It can be done! Good luck!
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Growtinymusclesgrow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    First, didn't you hear? 40 is the new 20 (just with some experience). Start this journey being completely positive. Sure, you may have some setbacks, but with all things in life that is new, it is to be expected. Don't beat yourself up, just get back on the proverbial horse and get going again. The one thing that I have noticed, no matter how much weight I've lost and muscle I've built, I still have that "fat guy" mentality. I do not remove my shirt in public. It is stupid, but it is my last hurdle to overcome.