I have a question

Options
I am starting to count my calories. I have not been counting calories. I have just been cutting back on sweets and pop, and getting regular exercise. I am getting confused about how to count calories. I am ok with reading packages, but if I am eating at a friend's house, or going out for dinner I get confused. Can any of you give me some tips on how you started counting calories?

Thank you:smile:

Replies

• hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    In the begining it was hard to judge. I try to plan out my menu for the next day and type it all in the night before, in this way I am not surprised by the end of the day. As for restaurants I try to look it up before I go out, I know the healthy choices for most of the fast food places if that should ever arise, if it is a chain I look for nutritional facts online or check out the lighter fare section when I get there and don't even read the rest of the menu. Honestly some stuff, I just guess, or estimate.
    I just started my diary again and and have made it public although haven't been out to eat since, and have prepared all my meals thus far.
    Good Luck
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Measure Measure Measure. See if you can sneak on your friends computer before you see what you are going to eat. Or ask before what they are having and look online to see how much you can have. It might not be perfect but you can get pretty close to what they are making but searching the food database. Then measure out the serving size.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I write down everything I eat. I know I'll forget something so I write down everything in a small notebook and at the end of the day I just log it on mfp. And start to get familiar with serving sizes and as mentioned, measure! It really helps to know how much a serving of meat, grains, etc. is and that way you when you see it, you'll know when not to go over.
  • leesapeesa
    Options
    generally the night before i plan what i am going to eat the next day and i use MFP as my guide. I measure everything I eat.. If i make my own recipes, i add them into the 'my meals' section for use later. it is all about planing for me. i also try to eat every few hours small snacks between meals. my rule now is if i bite it i write it. because it really does make a huge difference.
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I write down everything I eat. I know I'll forget something so I write down everything in a small notebook and at the end of the day I just log it on mfp. And start to get familiar with serving sizes and as mentioned, measure! It really helps to know how much a serving of meat, grains, etc. is and that way you when you see it, you'll know when not to go over.
    I read in a magazine that if you're not good at writing down what you eat an idea is to snap a picture with your phone, so that at the end of the day you can go through it and write it down. I don't know how I would feel taking a picture of my plate when I'm out but I thought it was a good suggestion
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks everyone for the great tips