30 Day Shred- Weights?

Options
****What size of weights are you using?

I started with 5lbs and think I was a bit optimistic as I struggled to get through the first weight section (overhead presses) followed by the push-ups.

Replies

• Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Mine are 1.5kg & I find that hard enough, couldn't do any more!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I was working with a trainer previous to starting 30 DS, so I thought I could handle 8#'s. I quickly learned my lesson..lol! I still use them, but I still make some modifications. For example, on the side squat / lateral raise I lift one weight at a time instead of both.
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm using 2.5 lb weights. I also was looking at 5s before I started but the cheapo place I picked up my weights didn't seem to have any. I am *really* glad I did not start with 5 pound weights. I'll eventually build up to it, but there's no way in hell I'd recommend using 5 lbs right off the bat unless you're used to weight lifting regularly.
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    When I did it last month I used 2kg, I would have moved up to 3kg if I had some money. I saw some people were using 8lbs as well
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    20 lbs dumbells.....but I've been lifting weights pretty steadily for a year now.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    20 lbs dumbells.....but I've been lifting weights pretty steadily for a year now.

I bow to you....
  • zedbomb
    zedbomb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i started with 5kg(11lb) and could not do the second set, am going to half it for my second session tomorrow
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 18 and I actually use 2.5lbs, 5lbs and 10lbs, just depends on the exercise. I try to push myself to use the 5s most of the time, but sometimes I need to drop down to be able to continue or finish the exercise... also for some I have to jump up to the 10s so I actually feel like I'm working ie flies.
  • Annie_Fannie
    Options
    I actually have all my weights ready (3's, 6, 10's and 15's) when I do the DS becuase depending on the exercise, I found I need a lighter weight at times. For example, the lateral raises with side lunges, I only use 3 lbs in each, but the back rows, I need 15 lbs each to get a nice burn...... There is NOTHING wrong with using NO weights at all to do these excercises, by the way. Until you get real comfortable with all the different moves, you may find that works for you until you are ready for more resistance.

Hope you are enjoying it! Good luck! :)
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I started with 1kg weights but have switched to 2kg and can definitely feel the difference!!
  • ahelland21
    ahelland21 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use a mix of 3's and 5's. I always start with 3's and if I don't start feeling tired by the end of the move, I move up to 5's the next time.
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 18 and I actually use 2.5lbs, 5lbs and 10lbs, just depends on the exercise. I try to push myself to use the 5s most of the time, but sometimes I need to drop down to be able to continue or finish the exercise... also for some I have to jump up to the 10s so I actually feel like I'm working ie flies.

oh...I like this idea. I don't left weights and never have; however, I thought my arm strength was fairly good....I seem to only struggle with overhead presses, maybe I need to keep the 5lbs or heavier for some of the other sections as some muscles seem to handle the weight better than others!

~thanks
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I use 3 lbs for the combination (legs and arms) moves, but 8 lbs for the single (flies, rows) moves. No way in hell am I doing 8 lb lateral raises.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I started off the first 3 days with 1.5 lbs because that is all I had, it was hard enough in the beginning. I went out after that and bought 3 lb and 5 lb ones and used the 3 lbs to finish off lvl 1. For lvl 2 I slowly incorperated the 5 lb into the reps that I could do easily with the 3's though I'm on day 10 tomorrow of level 2 and still wouldn't be able to get through the last set (military presses and V raises with them).

If you want the best work out possible its best to have a couple different sizes so that no moves are too hard and no moves are too easy.
  • Annie_Fannie
    Options
    If you want the best work out possible its best to have a couple different sizes so that no moves are too hard and no moves are too easy.

Awesome statement! Love that! :smile:
  • zedbomb
    zedbomb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i agree and on day 2 tomorrow i will be better prepared :)