Dining Hall Food :'(

Options
I'm going back to university August 17th, and as I want to continue using MFP, I've been looking at the nutrient info for my school's dining program so I can enter it in "My Foods"...and boy, does it want to make me cry. How the heck I didn't gain the freshmen 40 astounds me.

Anyway. I have a $1,300 semester meal plan. I was thinking if I could change my meal plan and just have to pay the compensation fee, I could just deposit that money in my checking account (aided by my direct deposit from my job) and I could buy my own groceries at the local Kroger and Wal-Mart. Essentially, that would leave me with about $325 a month for food.

Am I being realistic in cost of food, or should I just stick with my meal plan? I have another 30 pounds to lose before I reach my first goal weight, and I don't want this high-calorie, low-quality food to disrupt my progress. I have rugby practice for two hours Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (plus 80 minute game on Saturdays), and I also plan to work out Tuesday and Thursday (nothing heavy, mainly cardio...I lose cardio fitness very easily). I know I will burn calories there, but with so many limited options at school, I will only maintain my weight...

Sorry for the long-windedness, but I'm not sure of what to do. Any advice and suggestions appreciated!

Replies

• kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live, but I live in a large city and only feed myself, and I probably spend about $40-50/week on groceries (unless I have someone over for dinner). I think $325/month will be plenty if you'd prefer to cook yourself. You will probably just have to get used to leftovers. I usually cook only one or two meals each week and then I eat the same thing over and over again until it's gone. If you don't like to do that, you will probably want to purchase frozen meat and veggies so that they keep longer. It also may not be a great idea if you don't have easy access to a place to cook it or if you feel that you will be missing out by not going to the dining court with friends--if these things are the case, you might find you wind up eating at the dining court anyway.
  • charbear94
    Options
    i strongly believe that you should stay as far away from dining hall food as possible!! I know it makes you cry. Some days I am forced to eat in my school dining hall, and i feel terrible afterwards. It had always given me an upset tummy, and it is SO hard to find something nutrtious that will actually fill you up.

If you still want to lose 30 pounds, I think you should buy your own groceries. When you are stressed in school and only have a short amount of time to eat in between classes, you will be more likely to grab a piece of pizza in the dining hall instead of taking time to check all your options and find something healthy and lean.

I never eat in my dining hall unless forced to. Buy your groceries! You will actually end up saving money! Go to wal mart with a list planned out and stock up. and if you are being money conscious, get great value brand items. I do all the time and it is just as good as the name brand items! :)

you can do this! sorry my answer is so long lol. Fix yourself a great breakfast, and plan your snacks for the day and you will make it until you can cook your lunch and dinners. And if you do grab something fast once in a while, that's ok. way better than eating in the dining hall EVERY DAY.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You could probably do $325 a month, but what cooking facilities do you have available (are you in a dorm?) and are you really going to feel like dealing with it after school, rugby practice, etc.? The convenience of the dining hall is very nice.

It's hard to say without seeing the menus, so I'm thinking back to what was offered back in the old days when I was in college. (LOL).

Breakfast -- are there boiled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, bananas or oranges, cereal? Breakfast shouldn't be too tough. At my school breakfast stuff like boiled eggs and cereal was nearly always available for every meal.

Lunch/dinner:

Is there a deli line? While sodium-wise it may not be the greatest, a turkey or ham sandwich isn't terrible, provided you skip the mayo, and add some tomato and lettuce.

Is there a salad bar? You could bring down your own dressing (i.e Salad Spritzers or Bolthouse Farms), provided you have a fridge in your room to keep it in. I practically lived off the salad bar when I was in college.

Can you cobble together portions of things? I remember there usually being some kind of steamed or grilled vegetable available, some kind of meat. If there is heavy sauce on a chicken or fish, you can scrape it off. There are always raw veggies on the salad bar, sometimes garbanzo beans or tuna.

I think it may be challenging for you initially, but once you sort of figure out your options it may not be so bad.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Just a note on what charbear said--do not automatically go for the great value brand without a quick comparison of price--especially of unit price! I used to be a walmart shopper, and was often surprised to find they sneakily would make the great value brand more expensive, or they would charge slightly less but the amount of food that you get would be significantly smaller.
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    OP your idea sounds wonderful! I wish I could do that at my school, but everyone has to have a meal plan, even commuters.. -__- I'm not commuting but I just don't like that they don't have a choice...I just have to figure out some other way to lose weight through the school year.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your school offers. You mention that the nutrition for the daily menu is awful (which I totally believe), but when I was on a meal plan in college, it was also good for salad bars (which were huge and full of awesome stuff) in every dining hall. Also, I don't know about your school, but mine had different menus for each dining hall and the meal plan could be used at any of them; I found one that had a healthy menu of lots of fruits and vegetables, lean meats, smoothies, etc. I had to walk across campus, but I was doing that anyway!

If it's pizza and fries only though, you're much better off buying groceries on your own. Even in expensive urban areas, one person should easily be able to feed herself on $350/month.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    The menus change every day, so I don't know the next day's until midnight. Options vary depending on the season; towards fall, the fresh fruit basically goes away. I would really rather not eat canned fruit that's been sitting in syrup for two hours. While there are lighter breakfast options, the way my schedule is, I won't really have time to look it up. That being said, I wouldn't mind cooking, as I could make the food in my dorm kitchenette and then eat (and study) in my dorm room. Especially when I can cook a bunch and then store it in the fridge.

I've noticed a lot of food is pretty carb and sodium heavy. A lot of things are fried instead of baked. The pre-made sandwiches are 600 calories!! Playing rugby, I will not be able to live off of the salad bar. I know what I'm like when I don't eat enough before practice...it's not pretty.

As for going to the dining hall with friends, I really won't have the time because of school work. As much as I love my team-mates, when we have meals together after practice, it can turn into an hour - hour 30 minute thing. We're usually not off the pitch until 7:30 anyway! :laugh: This way I can have incentive to get home, make dinner and hit the books!

Now I need help with this: how can I convince my family (who helps with finances) that this will be the best thing for me, and that I could manage it time-wise?
  • charbear94
    Options
    The menus change every day, so I don't know the next day's until midnight. Options vary depending on the season; towards fall, the fresh fruit basically goes away. I would really rather not eat canned fruit that's been sitting in syrup for two hours. While there are lighter breakfast options, the way my schedule is, I won't really have time to look it up. That being said, I wouldn't mind cooking, as I could make the food in my dorm kitchenette and then eat (and study) in my dorm room. Especially when I can cook a bunch and then store it in the fridge.

I've noticed a lot of food is pretty carb and sodium heavy. A lot of things are fried instead of baked. The pre-made sandwiches are 600 calories!! Playing rugby, I will not be able to live off of the salad bar. I know what I'm like when I don't eat enough before practice...it's not pretty.

As for going to the dining hall with friends, I really won't have the time because of school work. As much as I love my team-mates, when we have meals together after practice, it can turn into an hour - hour 30 minute thing. We're usually not off the pitch until 7:30 anyway! :laugh: This way I can have incentive to get home, make dinner and hit the books!

Now I need help with this: how can I convince my family (who helps with finances) that this will be the best thing for me, and that I could manage it time-wise?

why would your family be opposed to the grocery buying idea exactly? if they are worried you can't manage it time wise, just point out that you will also be more likely to study harder if you eat in your dorm room, not the cafe with a ton of friends. And realistically, cooking one meal for one person will take maybe 15 minutes, no more than 30 minutes. I cook for my entire family sometimes and it only takes me 30 minutes, and maybe 10 minutes to clean up. but if you stock up on paper plates and plastic ware, that will significantly cut down on clean up time.

as for being the best thing for you, just compare the meals you would make for yourself to the dining hall food and let them see for themselves. And you feeling healthy and happy is very important! have they been supportive of your lifestyle change thus far?

hope this advice can help somewhat! :)
  • sarasci
    sarasci Posts: 4
    Options
    Former rugby player here, so I understand the difficulties of trying to survive on the salad bar and going out to rugby practice after lol. Not sure what's all in your kitchenette but if you have room to cook (oven/stove burners) and store food (your room's own fridge WITH a freezer), I'd ditch the meal plan. If you don't at least have a full size fridge available, I wouldn't do it.

If you don't have a freezer it might be more difficult, it's really expensive and not always practical to always be running to the store to buy fresh meat/fruit/veggies (especially with your busy sounding schedule). Depending on how far you are from a grocery store, the cost of fresh food (especially meat!!!) and the extra gas if you have to drive out there a lot might actually push you close to that $325/month you were looking at (but I doubt it will unless you're eating organic only).

If you don't have any sort of cooking method other than a microwave/hotplate, I'd keep the meal plan too. Most microwave only recipes taste pretty bad and food that's designed to be microwaved tends to be pretty loaded up with sodium...

You can point this out to your family to help convince them if the nutrition side alone isn't enough: whatever school you go to probably has the option for you to buy individual meals without a meal plan for $5-$6 per meal if you do end up wanting to eat at the dining hall. That's actually not terrible price-wise (cheaper than McDonalds!) and it can be a huge relief if you don't have time to cook/go grab fresh groceries. Looking at the high end cost-wise ($6/meal), if you get 1 meal/day for every day for a month from the dining hall you still have $157 left to spend on groceries. Price out a sample week/month worth of groceries at the stores near you, and show those numbers to your parents. If you do that, go really in depth with it (look at specific recipes, plan out all your meals, remember to include snacks and drinks, etc.) so they can't poke holes in your numbers. If your numbers are coming waaaay under that $325/month for groceries, you can pull the "I can save the money for my future/don't have to take out as many loans" card with them.

As a comparison: I live in the Midwest, in a fairly large city, off campus in a house and $160 is probably pretty close to what I spend a month on my own food/drink (not counting alcohol). I buy a lot of fresh (and occasionally frozen) fruits and veggies, not a lot of canned foods, most of the meat I buy is frozen, I always do ad-match/hunt for sales when I'm shopping, and I DON'T buy organic anything unless it's cheaper than the regular stuff. If you're looking to go the organic only route for all your food, you'll definitely be close to that $325/month.

On another note, if you're allowed to have them in your dorm, get a crockpot!!! A few reasons why they're awesome: you can dump all the ingredients for a recipe in it in the morning, ignore it all day, and you'll have hot, delicious food when you finally get home at the end of the day; it's nearly impossible to screw up cooking things in them; you can make a TON of really healthy recipes with a crockpot; if you have a big one (4-6 qt), you end up with a ton of leftovers; you can buy little/individual ones (1-2qt; a lot of them have automatic timers, and switch to "warm" after whatever cooking time you enter is up, so you're food is always hot and never overdone; and you don't need fresh ingredients for a lot of the recipes, frozen or canned ones work just as well.....I'll give you 3 guesses on what my favorite appliance in my kitchen is :D

TL;DR version: Do it if you have a real kitchen, don't do it if you just have a microwave and minifridge, numbers go a long way to convincing parents, and crockpots are awesome!
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice guys!

I will have access to a stove/oven. I do have one mini-fridge, however, I am looking into buying a second one where I can keep what I need in it. I am going to talk to my room mate and see how much she'll be using the mini-fridge, if at all; if she doesn't agree to splitting the cost, she won't be using it.

With my schedule now, I have one to two hours inbetween classes...should be enough to cook a meal and get some work done! There is also a bus that can take me to Kroger (included in student fees), so gas money is not an issue there :).