Aloha!

Options
Aloha, myfitnesspal community! I'm definitely excited to have stumbled upon this website. My name is Bert, I'm from the island of Oahu, Hawaii. I just turned 29 this past month and here's my story:

My weight has always fluctuated, since as far back as I can remember. I played sports since I was 9 but during off seasons I would totally balloon up.

About 3 years ago, after hitting my peak weight of 235 lbs (I'm 5'9"; it wasn't my ideal look) I decided to hit the cardio button...hard! So with a lot of elliptical hours logged and getting back in to playing basketball, I lost 45 lbs.

Than I did insanity! Well, I attempted the craziness. I lasted about 6 out of the 8 weeks and then got into running because I wanted to do the marathon. With insanity I lost a good amount of weight. I'd say I was around 175 lbs. I actually gained weight training for the marathon, but it was still worth the experience.

So to recap I went from 235 to 190 with elliptical and basketball sessions, down to 175 with insanity, then back up to 195 with just running and prepping for the marathon. To be fair to my marathon training, I was starting to eat like a mad man, that's when I was dating my ex so I guess you could call it "happy weight?"

After the marathon, I kinda let myself go with minor runs, here and there. I started lifting weights and recently found a great gym partner who used to play college baseball.

Just got back on the cardio bus because I want to tone up a bit but the one thing I've never done in my whole life is calorie count...I'm hoping for awesome results, not necessarily in weight loss, more so in toning. Unfortunately, my gym partner has a ridiculous metabolism and although he eats as badly as I do, he's still burning way more calories then he intakes so the guy does barely any cardio...I don't have that option.

So last night (actually really early, this morning) I decided to go on amazon to look for visalus shakes. I have a bunch of friends that are "members(?)" and I really don't like the idea of being sold or selling others in this type of approach so I didn't want to ask them for the product. It was through amazon's reviews that I found this website and after reading around, I'm really excited to see how myfitnesspal can change my life and hold me accountable!

Forgive my novel-length introduction, I had literary 2 hours of sleep and am still wired from this morning's workout. I look forward to being a part of this community!

Replies

• aliciakoral
    Options
    What part of Oahu are you from.... I would love to train with someone in the physicalness of this land as well as online! Let me know :)
  • Hey Alicia, thanks for the add! I'm currently living in Pearl City.

Man, I totally forgot about this website! My goals kinda changed from being toned to gaining more strength so I've been taking in a lot more calories. I rarely did cardio in the past 2 weeks but even more so now because I just strained my hipflexor (single leg incline press >.< pain flashbacks!). Thankfully, my gym partner is a guru at sports medicine and not only am I healing my injury, but we've still been managing to work around the injury and continue to build strength.

Again, sorry for the long winded explanation of my situation.

What part of the island are you from? In Hawaii the typical question is always "wat skool u went?" Also, what are your fitness goals and how have you been training so far?

Well Alicia, I thank you much for being my second friend and reviving my interest in this community. I hope to hear success stories as you progress through your fitness journey. Have a great week!