advice on eating back calories burnt!

Options
i am 300 calories under and then got 500 back due to exercise. Therefore i am meant to eat another 801 calories...but not at all hungry, any suggestions? Also i just dont understand if you are meant to eat back all calories or not. I dont want to lose too much too quickly so i cant keep the weight off. Help!

Replies

• skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I don't track my exercise anymore. I don't do heavy intense workouts so I am not worried about it. I get in a good amount of exercise daily just working in and out of the home. If I manage to go have time to go for a walk or something I consider extra I don't go eat it back just because I can. If I'm hungry I will eat more or if I know I have a lot of physically demanding things to do in a day I will eat more.

It all depends on how in tune with your body you are. Some people have very intense workouts and eating the calories back is fine for them, they need it. Other people will go for a short walk and use it an excuse to eat more.

My calories in any given day may be under or over a bit. A lot of it depends on the weather and my schedule changes.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    if you truly are not hungry, don't eat them. You will probably be hungry tomorrow and you can eat them then!
  • rhondab03
    Options
    I've had so many people tell me I'm burning too many cals during exercise for what I eat. I honestly don't see the point of exercising very hard, then eating back all of those burnt calories. It seems very counter productive to me. If I'm starving, sure, I'll eat. If not, nope, I never intentionally eat them back "just because I can".
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    if you truly are not hungry, don't eat them. You will probably be hungry tomorrow and you can eat them then!
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    i am liking your style!! May just have glass of milk and have a treat tomorrow if i fancy! Thanks everyone!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I eat back all of my calories & here's why.

1. I use a heart rate monitor to track exercise calories .... I know my calories burned are not grossly exaggerated (like machines & MFP)

2. I have my lifestyle set to sedentary ...... no, I am not the most sedentary person I know .... this is just me being conservative (I don't log housecleaning as exercise either).

3. I am over 50 and need to keep all my existing muscle mass .... by going under calories day in & day out .... I burn muscle along with fat (no thank you) ... I just want to lose fat

I know that not everyone has the same set of circumstances as me. If your weight loss stalls ....look up "eat more to lose weight"

Hunger is not the best indicator ..... if you start feeling run down..... eat more.
  • stanthia
    Options
    This program is pretty comprehensive. I have a feeling that if you're losing too fast, you'll be alerted to the fact. I would never eat because I can. Keep up the good work!
  • mzmandav
    Options
    You should eat a min. of 1,200 calories a day. As long as you eat that many you're body won't go into starvation mode. I never eat my calories earned through workouts, because then there is no point in working out.
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am only "given" 1200 calories so I typically will eat the calories I've earned in a workout, otherwise I think I'd feel hungry all the time. I only track exercise when I've done an intense workout though. I don't track every day activity like cleaning the house, walking with the kids, etc.

If I am not hungry I don't force myself to eat. I don't find myself in that position very often though. haha
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, it has helped alot!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've had so many people tell me I'm burning too many cals during exercise for what I eat. I honestly don't see the point of exercising very hard, then eating back all of those burnt calories. It seems very counter productive to me. If I'm starving, sure, I'll eat. If not, nope, I never intentionally eat them back "just because I can".

IF you are using MFP as designed ..... the point is this: the calorie deficit is already built in BEFORE exercise. When you exercise, you actually increase the calorie deficit more. When the calorie deficit is especially large ..... you will lose muscle mass .... THAT defeats the purpose of exercise.

There are so many variables to the equation ..... carlorie burns can be grossly exaggerated, you may me less (more) sedentary .... or active than you think you are, some people have higher metabolisms than others ..... no one exact answer.

I would rather error on the side of caution & eat my caloires back .... I don't want to lose muscle mass for the sake of losing weight more quickly.
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I never eat my calories earned through workouts, because then there is no point in working out.

See, I look at it differently. I work out so that I *can* eat.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I've always gone by this:

If you have your activity level set to sedentary on here, eat your exercise calories back.

If you have your activity included in your goals, don't eat them back.

Eat when hungry - BUT make sure that you are eating enough....min of 1200. I, personally, don't know how people only eat 1200 cal a day. I'd starve. I'm set at sedentary (I have a desk job)...my cal goal is set at 1570 (was at 1600) and I try to get at least 3 days of exercise a week, if not more. So, basically, with mine set at sedentary...even if I don't exercise ALL week, I'm set to lose 1 lb per week. Typically, when I exercise more than 3 days a week, I don't see a weightloss right away. Seems to balance out eventually though.

In addition, I'd like to say, I don't have any clue how people make it through their INTENSE work outs with <1200. Just sayin.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    I think that yes, you are supposed to eat them back. It's not as if you body differentiates between calories burnt from basic activity and calories burnt from exercise; therefore, it would seem to be just as necessary to eat your calories back after exercise as it would be to reach your daily goal. I have a problem with this, however, because I ride my bike about 6 days a week and burn nearly 1k calories per ride. I would just exercise less, but I'm trying to increase my strength and endurance so I can start mountain biking within a few months. I loathe eating 2500 calories per day, but I'm trying to fit more calorie dense foods into my diet. I also weight train about 3 days per week, and I haven't even started to factor that in to my calorie goals.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you're truly not hungry, one day isn't going to hurt you. I wouldn't let it become a habit to be that far under though. Your body needs the fuel, especially if you're exercising. You want to lose fat, not muscle, right?
  • hpettenger
    hpettenger Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's about the Leptin levels. I'm not an expert or even knowledgeable about the subject, but it makes sense if you read about it.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-facts-on-leptin-faq
  • CoachSamB
    CoachSamB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like how you think, TinyToyJess!
  • chaamigo
    chaamigo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i don't use all my "earned" calories either but i do use them on days when i am really hungry. it's nice to have the option
  • Mesi13
    Mesi13 Posts: 10
    Options
    I never eat my calories earned through workouts, because then there is no point in working out.

See, I look at it differently. I work out so that I *can* eat.

bump.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them when I am not hungry.
    I find I get full pretty easily now, so I rarely do eat them but then I don't feel bad if I go out to eat on the weekend and go over a bit with drinks + food.