I confused myself....question about reps

Options
So if you are doing lunges. Would one set be both legs?

1 set =2 legs X 10 lunges =20 reps

or would one leg be a set?

2sets= 1 leg X 10 lunges = 10 reps
1 leg X 10 lunges = 10 reps

I totally confused myself...HALP MEH!!:sad:

Replies

• ting001
    ting001 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A rep is how many times you lunge (both legs)
    A set is the number of times you do the lunges with a break in between
    So I usually do a rep of 12 (set 1 ), then rest , do 12 more (set 2), rest, do 12 more (set 3).
    That would be 3 sets of 12 reps.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    A rep is how many times you lunge (both legs)
    A set is the number of times you do the lunges with a break in between
    So I usually do a rep of 12 (set 1 ), then rest , do 12 more (set 2), rest, do 12 more (set 3).
    That would be 3 sets of 12 reps.

Oh okay...so one rep for you would be 6 on each leg. Thanks
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Nope, that would be a SET. A REP is a "repetition," which is one single move. If it's two different limbs doing the same exercise (like lunges or one-arm curls), one REP is two moves -- one for each limb, right & left.

So in lunges, each time you do one left AND one right counts as ONE REP. But if you're doing squats (both legs), each time you go up and down counts as ONE REP. If you do curls with both arms at the same time, it's ONE REP. But if you do curls alternating arms (left first, then right next), it's a rep only when both arms complete the movement.

A collection of REPS = a SET.

If you do 10 lunges with your left leg and 10 lunges with your right leg, that's 10 reps. If you only did 10 lunges with your left leg, you did 10 half-reps because you left your right leg out in the cold! :smile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Okay......I consider each leg a separate entity. So you need to decide how many lunges you want to do on each leg. (Reps)

Say you pick 10 reps. You need to do 10 lunges on each leg.

NOW, you need to decided how many times you want to do 10 lunges on each leg (sets)

Normal is 2-3 sets.

It comes out to 3 sets of 10 reps on EACH leg.

Gotta keep the body parts even! :happy: