Synthroid Users?

Options
I've seen people on here before talk about having low or no thyroid, and asking questions about weight loss.
I have had no thyroid since I was 14, and after trying all different doses of the medication, I've finally found what works for me. I don't feel that my lack of a thyroid makes it harder to lose weight, or really affects my life much at all, as long as my dosage is SPOT ON.
I have lost 5 pounds, and looking to lose 15-20 more, and I'm just curious for those of you who have lost weight while on this medication, how much weight can you lose without needing to lower the dosage of your meds?
I'm really hoping that weight loss doesn't make me go through what I went through when I was younger, playing with higher and lower doses of the meds to try and find what is just right. Life can be a nightmare if your hormones are too high or too low!

Replies

• ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 30 lbs since the day I was dx'd with diabetes and hypothyroidism. That was a fun day :sad:

anyway, my dosage has actually steadily increased over this time rather than go down. But I think our situations might be a bit different. If you have no thyroid, due to hyperplasia I would assume, then indeed we have different situations, as mine is simply failing over time.
  • saun5870
    saun5870 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Last year I lost 16lbs in 12 weeks (169-153 & I am 5'6") and my dosage did not change so I am not sure if there is a set rule or amount of weight lost that will affect you. I was born without a thyroid so I bet we are similar in that respect.
  • golightlyphilosophy
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I actually had mine removed with iodine due to hashimoto's disease. My dosage has also steadily increased over time, even though my weight has always been around the same. Maybe I have nothing to worry about! I just know when my medication has been too low or too high in the past, it was not a pleasant experience.