No Guts..

Options
I can't seem to log "everything" on MFP. The problem is I need to stop "snacking" for dinner and sit down and have a REGULAR meal. Any tips on how I can achieve this and get the guts to log everything?!

Replies

• jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It's so important that you log everything. You're just cheating yourself if you don't! Get ocd about it, lol
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you're not logging everything because you're afraid of what you'll see, I suggest thinking of it this way: it'll be a wake-up call for you. Set aside fifteen minutes in the morning to log everything from the day before. And be completely honest; this won't work if you lie to yourself. As you start logging, it becomes easier.

I don't think there's anything bad about snacking for dinner if you're eating reasonably healthy stuff. OTOH, if you're just eating junk food, that's an issue. You can try making a regular dinner once a week, but make enough so that you have leftovers for another meal.
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you're not logging everything because you're afraid of what you'll see, I suggest thinking of it this way: it'll be a wake-up call for you. Set aside fifteen minutes in the morning to log everything from the day before. And be completely honest; this won't work if you lie to yourself. As you start logging, it becomes easier.

I don't think there's anything bad about snacking for dinner if you're eating reasonably healthy stuff. OTOH, if you're just eating junk food, that's an issue. You can try making a regular dinner once a week, but make enough so that you have leftovers for another meal.

thank you!
  • fiona2785
    Options
    It is really hard! One step at a time - log everything, with your diary private. That way you might be shocked at yourself but at least there's no-one else making you feel bad! My diary is private atm (had a bit of a crisis of confidence), but I have to say having it public made me far more careful about what I ate!

It's a pain at first, but you get used to logging everything!
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Snacking is the worse thing for me, I can eat way too many calories and not even realize it. The best advice I can give you (I am fairly new to this so take my advice for what that is worth) LOG EVERYTHING! If you don't you are only cheating yourself. Also don't get too hung up on going over your calories now and then, it is not the end of the world. When I first started, I read lots and lots of the posts and realized that you don't have to be a fanatic for this to work. You have to find the balance that works for you but not make it so difficult and stressful that food is the only thing you think about. One thing that has worked for me is to log my entire day first thing in the morning and change the entries as required. That way you are aware of what you are going to eat and how many calories you have left for those snacks...you may still choose to have the snack but at least you are honest with yourself and in the end you are the only person to whom you must answer. Good luck to you.
  • erniewebbiii
    erniewebbiii Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to log "everything" on MFP. The problem is I need to stop "snacking" for dinner and sit down and have a REGULAR meal. Any tips on how I can achieve this and get the guts to log everything?!

I find that if I don't log everything, I eat and drink more than I should. That big number at the top of the page is a great reminder
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have been logging for over 4 months now. It makes a huge difference! Do your best as it keeps you accountable for your actions.
  • Nigelfightingfit
    Nigelfightingfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Log everything, when you can see its the snacks, you soon learn to cut them out, so when youlog aain, you dont feel guilty and start feeling better about yourself:smile:
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Log everything, even if you don't like what you see. This is why I keep my diary closed. For me, the fitness thing is the easy part. It has been a normal, every day kind of thing for me for years. The diet on the other hand, that is what is so hard. There are at least a few days a week that I go over my calories, and sometimes I need the wakeup call that I see on the calorie count. Especially days when I have been snacking...those add up so quick. Now that it is summer break for me, my diet has been even harder to control. When school starts, it is so much easier to control what I eat. I stay under my calorie goal, and even have some to spare. Then, on Friday nights my entire family goes out to dinner together. I have enough calories left over that I can eat what I want, without having it effect my weekly caloric goal. This way I have one "off day" a week, because I don't workout on Fridays either. I almost see it as my reward day...and it has worked for me :).

Like I said though, it is summer break, and the snacking has gotten me on more than one occassion. But the good thing about logging it is that I know what I have to do to make it up the next day or two. Not to mention, it is a reality check when I see that I have eaten 2,000 calories, and most of it is just junk. What is even worse is after all of that snacking, I am still wanting more. Logging everything I eat has taught me more than anything...even when the lesson is that I need to stop eating lol!!
  • LelaYang
    LelaYang Posts: 43
    Options
    agh, i know what you mean. it's like..i'm only eating 1 oreo..is it necessary?? but so true..we're only cheating ourselves if we don't log in the stuff we ingest. Ugh!! let's get on it. we can do it!